Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2005 6:52:11 AM EDT
A guy back home got REALLY into these birds. The guy had what looked to me to be hundreds of these birds all around his home ( fenced in of course.) Not only was he raising them, he build an emu processing plant. The plant's emphasis was on extracting oil from the emus. He said the oil had incredible penetrating abilities. Sounded like bologna to me.

It was interesting how they killed the birds. Going staight to cutting their heads off made a mess 'cause the bird would do the "chicken with it's head cut off thing", kicking and going ape shit. To resolve this, they would place little black hood over the bird's head and flood it with carbon dioxide. Then they could cut it's head off without all the fuss.

The guy claimed that if you put emu oil in a plastic container ( Coke bottle ) and let it sit over night, some of the oil would penetrate through the bottle and onto the table. He really seemed to believe what he was saying ( I didn't.)

I've heard of the low fat qualities of emu meat. This guy claimed that he was selling the meat to a local prison.

The whole project always seemed like a terrible investment to me, although I don't know how this guy is doing today. The guy seemed to have money ( conspicuous cunsumption ), but who knows.

Anyone have any experience with these ugly birds?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:56:35 AM EDT
[#1]
It seemed like all the farmers were thinking of getting in to them although few actually did.

i think it was just a passing fad (ie) worm farms,fish farmer etc.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:57:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:05:24 AM EDT
[#3]
They're native to Australia, a little smaller than an ostrich. I can't say I've ever eaten emu, they're protected under federal law as a native animal here in Australia, but I used to see wild ones regularly when I was growing up on a farm.  You don't want to piss them off, they have a vicious kick and can hurt you badly. In the US they're farmed commercially like ostriches. Was there an ostrich farming craze in the 90's in the US? There was here in Australia. I used to know someone who used to breed ostriches and sell ostrich chicks and eggs to people who wanted to get into farming them. I think the breeders were the only ones who made any money. Ostrich farming as a commercial industry never really got off the ground here.

I've heard about emu oil but can't say much about it. There are a few web sites claiming it's some kind of wonder-substance, but they're selling the stuff so of course they'd say that.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They're native to Australia, a little smaller than an ostrich. I can't say I've ever eaten emu, they're protected under federal law as a native animal here in Australia, but I used to see wild ones regularly when I was growing up on a farm.  You don't want to piss them off, they have a vicious kick and can hurt you badly. In the US they're farmed commercially like ostriches. Was there an ostrich farming craze in the 90's in the US? There was here in Australia. I used to know someone who used to breed ostriches and sell ostrich chicks and eggs to people who wanted to get into farming them. I think the breeders were the only ones who made any money. Ostrich farming as a commercial industry never really got off the ground here.

I've heard about emu oil but can't say much about it. There are a few web sites claiming it's some kind of wonder-substance, but they're selling the stuff so of course they'd say that.

I worked on a farm in Qld, and my experience is that Emus are the dumbest animal I have ever seen. They don't seem to get scared of by gunshots.... They just wonder why their buddy is all of a sudden on the ground. "Gee, What happend to ol' George??"
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:33:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I think that if I had a bunch of land I'd like some Emus along with some llamas maybe.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:36:09 AM EDT
[#6]
We already have a lot of Emu's to eat.  They're called chickens.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:39:50 AM EDT
[#7]
whenever i hear Emu's I think of Dude Wheres My Car LOL
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Emu's are dumb as is the whole family (Osterich, emu, rhea)  We had rhea so dumb that they'll walk into a corner and couldn't figure out how to get out.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:55:30 AM EDT
[#9]
One of the farmers here in town bought some and lost his shirt on them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:01:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
One of the farmers here in town bought some and lost his shirt on them.

I still think I'd like some.  Not as an investment.  Or for their intelligence.  I just think that if I had some acreage, might be fun to have a small herd (flock) of emus.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:02:49 AM EDT
[#11]
The first time I saw an emu was on The Hudson Brothers' Razzle-Dazzle Show, featuring Rod Hull and his Australian Emu.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#12]
The emu industry was pretty much a  scheme.   The only market for emu's was OTHER suckers starting emu ranches.  At one time you could sell mated pairs for 20K.   Some guys lost hundreds of thousands of dollars.  Emu's were going to be the next "Big Oil" in Texas.

When it all collapsed ranchers turned them loose.  Now they're considered varmits and shoot on sight.  Cars hit them constantly.  A .223 handload with a 40 gr hollowpoint works great.

Emu tastes okay,  Not anything outstanding. Reminds you somewhat of venison. You don't get a heck of a lot of meat off them.  The oil is just an oil.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#13]
The meat is very good, if processed correctly, and very lean. I've had emu burgers before and they were damn good.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:09:47 PM EDT
[#14]
When the fad was booming, the breeding pairs of emus went for around $25,000 around here. Rheas were cheap at around $12,500.

I made pretty good money in the crazy game. I didn't buy birds, but built pens and barns for the suckers. Wish it would happen again... Fullclip
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:32:22 PM EDT
[#15]
IMALEGEND.....You should ask my nephew about being chased by one! I can think of other animals I would rather have than a really big bird. They are not real bright at all. I'll stick to something like alpacas.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#16]
A guy here turned some loose. I used to ride with a friend with animal control to track and "catch".
There have even been reports of mothers with young in tow. I believe the people saw 'em, they're just hard to find.
Real easy to catch, just walk up behind 'em when they're cornered and grab old of the wings and just walk him where you want......(right!).
I'd make a fortune down here if they'd fit in our cock fightin' rings.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:36:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
IMALEGEND.....You should ask my nephew about being chased by one! I can think of other animals I would rather have than a really big bird. They are not real bright at all. I'll stick to something like alpacas.

That's awesome!  I was kind of thinking they might be trouble.  I've heard they can really kick.  It would be funny for solicitors and stuff.  Maybe with acreage I wouldn't have that to worry about as much.  Plus it might be legal trouble...
"Sir, is this your Emu?"
"I don't recognize him for certain"
"Sir, you keep Emus on the property"
"There are some Emus here, yes"
"We have reason to believe this is one of your Emus, sir"
"I see"
"And the problem is he kicked the shit out of this riffraff carrying leaflets and flyers for a business that might not even exist so he can scope out peoples houses and case them for crime"
"I see.  Is that a problem officer?  Would you like a beer?"

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Actually someone I know had 3 Emus,2 got out and they were looking into a neighbors window,she called the cops,staties came out and one kicked the statie so he shot it and they finally managed to get the other 2,but then EPO's got involved and around here you have to have a permit to keep them since they are considered an exotic. More hassle than they're worth.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#19]
They run about $50 a pair here.. or free if you'll pick them up.
I thought about getting a few for 'guard dogs' on a small property.

ever seen the COPS episodes where they have to chase the emus???
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Emus are big ugly mutant chickens.  I hate chickens; unless they are on a plate.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top