Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2005 7:49:34 PM EDT
I have a computer that is hhoked up to my wireless router. it is constantly losing the signal. But my adapter shows the signal as excellent. Could it be interference from a neighbors phone?? I ahve tried many different fixes and noone have worked??

Any suggestions
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#1]
OK I'm not sure ehat your explaining here.

Are you saying that the signal strength is good but it still doesn't seem to work?

I guess I don't understand the difference your trying to explain between the adapter and the computer?

Mine simply disconnects me on occasion. I just have to click the connect button on the adapter control panel.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Our cordless phone was a 2.4 mhz phone. When anyone used the phone in the house, I would loose the wireless signal to my laptop. I got a 5.6mhz to replace it. Now all is well.
If you live in an apartment, that is what is more then likely what's happening to you.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:12:40 PM EDT
[#3]
It could be interference.  try changing the router's connection channel (there are about a dozen).  

If your computer doesn't auto-connect, you might have to change the channel in the computer wireless configuration too.  (Or just go back through the initial connection routine, and use the new channel this time).

I have also heard of hardware that has a "power saver" option in the driver, that shuts it down after a period of inactivity.  Check the configuration properties for your wireless adapter and turn off any power saver options.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Forgot about the power saver option. It is usually for the laptops when they are on battery power.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It could be interference.  try changing the router's connection channel (there are about a dozen).  

If your computer doesn't auto-connect, you might have to change the channel in the computer wireless configuration too.  (Or just go back through the initial connection routine, and use the new channel this time).

I have also heard of hardware that has a "power saver" option in the driver, that shuts it down after a period of inactivity.  Check the configuration properties for your wireless adapter and turn off any power saver options.

Jim

I think the default channel is 6, try changing this to another number.  somebody else may be using this channel.  You can download a free program called NMAP (google it) and see traffic on your network.  This may help you troubleshoot.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have Windows XP make sure you have service pack 2. With out it windows is notorious for droping the connection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top