Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2001 3:44:01 PM EDT
I have always pondered the biblical reference to " the meek shall inherit the earth...". I've recently thought that possibly that is happening now as we speak. This is my hypothesis; as the world progresses and technology allows many people to be fed by fewer, housed and cared for more efficiently, medically tended to thus extending life that would not otherwise be sustained,we are in effect short circuiting the natural selection process. As a result of this the "chaff" that would have been normally shed from life exists and procreates. I believe that the "warrior spirit" brought about by the survival of the strong is being diluted. Are the "meek inheriting the earth"?  
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the meek are cockroaches.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I can;t find the reference right now but the way I understand it "meek" in the original language didn't mean whimpy it meant obidient.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Ar-itw,
  That was what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 4:06:37 PM EDT
[#5]

PSALM 37
FRET not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity.
2. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb.
3. Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.
4. Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
5. Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.
6. And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday.
7. Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.
8. Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil.
9. For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth.
10. For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.
11. But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.
12. The wicked plotteth against the just, and gnasheth upon him with his teeth.
13. The Lord shall laugh at him: for he seeth that his day is coming.
14. The wicked have drawn out the sword, and have bent their bow, to cast down the poor and needy, and to slay such as be of upright conversation.
15. Their sword shall enter into their own heart, and their bows shall be broken.
16. A little that a righteous man hath is better than the riches of many wicked.
17. For the arms of the wicked shall be broken: but the LORD upholdeth the righteous.
18. The LORD knoweth the days of the upright: and their inheritance shall be for ever.
19. They shall not be ashamed in the evil time: and in the days of famine they shall be satisfied.
20. But the wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the LORD shall be as the fat of lambs: they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away.
21. The wicked borroweth, and payeth not again: but the righteous sheweth mercy, and giveth.
22. For such as be blessed of him shall inherit the earth; and they that be cursed of him shall be cut off.
23. The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.
24. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.
25. I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.
26. He is ever merciful, and lendeth; and his seed is blessed.
27. Depart from evil, and do good; and dwell for evermore.
28. For the LORD loveth judgment, and forsaketh not his saints; they are preserved for ever: but the seed of the wicked shall be cut off.
29. The righteous shall inherit the land, and dwell therein for ever.
30. The mouth of the righteous speaketh wisdon, and his tongue talketh of judgment.
31. The law of his God is in his heart; none of his steps shall slide.

(continued)
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 4:07:10 PM EDT
[#6]
32. The wicked watcheth the righteous, and seeketh to slay him.
33. The LORD will not leave him in his hand, nor condemn him when he is judged.
34. Wait on the LORD, and keep his way, and he shall exalt thee to inherit the land: when the wicked are cut off, thou shalt see it.
35. I have seen the wicked in great power, and spreading himself like a green bay tree.
36. Yet he passed away, and, lo, he was not: yea, I sought him, but he could not be found.
37. Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright: for the end of that man is peace.
38. But the transgressors shall be destroyed together: the end of the wicked shall be cut off.
39. But the salvation of the righteous is of the LORD: he is their strength in the time of trouble.
40. And the LORD shall help them, and deliver them: he shall deliver them from the wicked and save them, because they trust in him.[/quote]
Notice that PSALM 37:29 says:
"The righteous shall inherit the land, and dwell therein for ever."

meek = righteous

compare that to wicked, transgressors, evil, etc that is being used to speak of those opposite of meek.

Sorry this was so long but it bothers me when the Bible is quoted out of context.  Read the whole thing and I believe you'll find that meek doesn't equal cockroach.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 4:32:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Kassnar:
... tended to thus extending life that would not otherwise be sustained..
..this the "chaff" that would have been normally shed from life exists and procreates. ...
Are the "meek inheriting the earth"?  
View Quote

It would seem so.

I saw a "Quarter Ton" kid on a local talkshow today, the mother was crying "Nobody cares about my babies" (A breeder of 13 others).
The boy is 11 years old, & is dying because of his 550 pound weight problem.

"Mom" it seems, feeds him 4 gallons of ice cream, six pizzas, at least one case of cream soda?, "about one sack of Dunking Doughnuts", & a bed-time snack (Usually a bag of sliders every single day of his life, because he "gets mad" if she doesn't.

She ALSO empties his bucket of waste several times a day because "nobody understands how hard it is fo him to use the bathroom."  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top