Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2005 6:33:07 PM EDT
I've missed allot of good stuff happening here lately and wanted to chime in and share some Family stuff with my fellow arfcommers.

The first of this year (2005), the wifey and I took a ride to pay respect to members of my family who are no longer with us by visiting Cemeterys, many Cemeterys.

All was fine till we visited the farm that was in my familys name for 202 years. The new owners are Great!

They said that they had extended an invitation to other Fortune's who had visited there that if the family would reclaim the Cemetery, they would maintain it from then on.

I stewed on this for about 2 hours and called them back. Our farm had been sold in 1992 against my will to what turned out to be a good family. I took it ON!

There are 2 Revolutionary War Soldiers, a Civil War Soldier and others such as African Americans whose gravestones don't reflect who is who buried there, as well as many familys.

Later on in time Thomas Fortune Ryan purchased the property in which he, his mother, sister and brother was born on.  His mother and sister are buried there. Father buried in Grainger Co. Tn.

This farm rose to be a unknown model along with Oak Ridge Estate until his death in 1928. At which time Fortune's Cove was transferred to my Great Grand Father James"Lil" Fortune.

Here's some pics:

Then:

2 hours with a briar axe:

Things don't look too good, keep going:

Up until now:

This has not been easy! Anyone have experience with overhauling Cemeterys...lets have it.

Thanks for your time!

Danny

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#1]
That's very cool Danny!  I wish you were able to get your farm back in the family, but it is nice that you can visit.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:36:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow! Thats alot of work! Sorry to hear the family farm was sold but who knows! Maybe some day you could buy the farm back!

Beautiful place & full of history!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Hat's off to you for all your hard work.  If we all respected our heritage as much as you, this would be an even better country to live in.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#4]
You  folks along with my family are the "wind under my wings"!

I had no Idea I could pull this off.

I had to do it! Still have much to do.

Danny
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've missed allot of good stuff happening here lately and wanted to chime in and share some Family stuff with my fellow arfcommers.

The first of this year (2005), the wifey and I took a ride to pay respect to members of my family who are no longer with us by visiting Cemeterys, many Cemeterys.

All was fine till we visited the farm that was in my familys name for 202 years. The new owners are Great!

They said that they had extended an invitation to other Fortune's who had visited there that if the family would reclaim the Cemetery, they would maintain it from then on.

I stewed on this for about 2 hours and called them back. Our farm had been sold in 1992 against my will to what turned out to be a good family. I took it ON!

There are 2 Revolutionary War Soldiers, a Civil War Soldier and others such as African Americans whose gravestones don't reflect who is who buried there, as well as many familys.

Later on in time Thomas Fortune Ryan purchased the property in which he, his mother, sister and brother was born on.  His mother and sister are buried there. Father buried in Grainger Co.

This farm rose to be a unknown model along with Oak Ridge Estate until his death in 1928. At which time Fortune's Cove was transferred to my Great Grand Father James"Lil" Fortune.

Here's some pics:

Then:
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=36660

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=36657

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=36658

Up until now:
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=36659

This is not been easy! Anyone have experience with overhauling Cemeterys...lets have it.

Thanks for you time!

Danny

Drop the 'Y' and add 'IE'
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#6]
My fathers family came from an area in southern middle kentucky called Devils Elbow. His side of the family was all buried there. Supposedly it had been kept up for some years by a cousin of his. We went one year to look around and you couldn't tell there was a cemetary there.
We worked all weekend to clean it up. We finally got to where we could finally see the wrought iron fence all the way around.
There were a lot of pre-1800 graves in the White name there. My father passed away in Apr '01. He is laid to rest there now. Me and my brother 1 year younger are the only ones that keep it up now. It's a small lot, but we travel the 2 hrs to get it done.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Later on in time Thomas Fortune Ryan purchased the property in which he, his mother, sister and brother was born on.  His mother and sister are buried there. Father buried in Grainger Co.

Here's some pics:

Then:
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=36660

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=36657

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=36658

Up until now:
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=36659

This is not been easy! Anyone have experience with overhauling Cemeterys...lets have it.

Thanks for you time!

Danny

Drop the 'Y' and add 'IE'

Sorry, see my sig line.

Danny
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#8]
neat pix, danny--thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:01:23 PM EDT
[#9]
A very, very , very good deed.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Another pic of headstones.

Danny

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow, what a neat thing to do to help preserve your family's heritage. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow!  good work!  looks like you put some man hours in on that!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks all for the well wishes.

The point of my thread being IMO...

How can we truly map our future without not knowing our past?

It took someone some hardship to get us where we are, don't let their sacrifices go silently into oblivion. Make a stand, find firm family ground, that's what I'm doing and I'm here to share it with my friends/family.

Right or wrong, more to come as work progresses. Stay tuned.

Danny
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Wow!  good work!  looks like you put some man hours in on that!

Total hours 15.

Total man hours < 45 all included.

I'm amazed at what 3-5 dedicated steady individuals can accomplish in 2-3 hours a weekend.

A elderly family member just contributed $200 awhile back and this weekend I have a dozer with a winch coming to pop stumps out  and clean up the outer perimeter.

I can't put equipment inside where I have found headstones, thus the winch to try and get the stumps out.

3 brush piles ready to burn well away from what matters.

Cemetery is 115' X 90'

Danny
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
That is a lot of work you went through, looks like more than a weekend.

You should make up some sort of sign.  Just an idea...  Not sure what would last in the elements (laser cut wood with thick lacqeur finish?)

Good point, well taken.

I need something that will last decades.

I'm 45, I need to make sure my/our effort will last for many years.

I'm in for this till I croak, will have gun collection auctioned off to maintain my family if I have too. But, how will I know if being done when I'm

Danny
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Its like my wife tells me about good deeds there is a place for you in heaven, and someone will recognize the effort you have put forth and you to shall be taken care of in your place of eternal rest. God Bless You And Yours.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Its like my wife tells me about good deeds there is a place for you in heaven, and someone will recognize the effort you have put forth and you to shall be taken care of in your place of eternal rest. God Bless You And Yours.

Thank you. Believing is what gets you in, deeds are a plus is what Granny told me. I forgot the exact wording she used.

Bless you and yours and keep the faith.

Danny

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:48:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Would it damage the headstones to burn off the brush? A slow, controlled fire would sure save you a lot of work.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Very nice, good work.

As my Eagle Scout Service Project (20 years ago) I cleaned up my family’s private cemetery. With about 10 Scouts we were able to clear all the brush and small trees, fence the perimeter. We then arduously documented the headstones and some footstones, turned the data to my Aunt for a genealogy survey, reported all information to the county clerk for a cemetery registration. In just 4 short days. What you did is definitely no small undertaking.  are all the graves registered?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:41:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Would it damage the headstones to burn off the brush? A slow, controlled fire would sure save you a lot of work.

There was a total Ban on burning till May 01, yes this has happened. I burned when I thought it was after 4 pm and was wrong. Lucky fire did not get out, warden did not show up.

Pic coming.

Danny
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Very nice, good work.

As my Eagle Scout Service Project (20 years ago) I cleaned up my family’s private cemetery. With about 10 Scouts we were able to clear all the brush and small trees, fence the perimeter. We then arduously documented the headstones and some footstones, turned the data to my Aunt for a genealogy survey, reported all information to the county clerk for a cemetery registration. In just 4 short days. What you did is definitely no small undertaking.  are all the graves registered?

It happened quick, I had help. I started and found out quick that there were family of other cousins there. I aske my cousin Ray (who worked right-of-way clearing of power lines) to come and help out. He did and it took 3 of us about 6 hours to clean up debris from him being there 2 hours.

I don't know about the graves being registered. I'll have to check on that, thanks for the info and where to go and look for it.

It is a lot of work and it's not finished. Graves are sunken, stumps between graves that equipment can't get to.

I hired a small dozer to work the outer perimeter get the big trees and stumps out.

Next post will be pic of burn 2 weeks ago.

Thanks for well wishes, advice and looking.

Danny
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:52:26 PM EDT
[#23]
It might not look like it, but there are 40-50 folks resting here. Cemetery is 90'x 115'

Dad and I, He's the beanpole "Bionic Man" 2 fake hips. Orange flags are Family in the pic.

Danny
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:19:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
That is a lot of work you went through, looks like more than a weekend.

You should make up some sort of sign.  Just an idea...  Not sure what would last in the elements (laser cut wood with thick lacqeur finish?)

you could probely get a local machine shop to make you a custom palque out of stainless steel.

I say that because my brother died when I was in trade school and I had our shop make him a grave marker till the stone was made.

Bill
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Wow!  Impressive!  Excellent work!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:52:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Feels good doesn't it? I maintain our family cemetary, in NE Oklahoma. BTW that is beautiful country around your cemetary.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:56:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Wow!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks Folks!

I've been working on our 1-ton dump truck this afternoon getting it ready for inspection. I need to haul several loads of dirt up to the cemetery to fill sunken graves and stump holes.

I've had family members donate $900 and a farm close to me has donated dirt for me to haul.

After I paid for the dozer I still have $750 left for spraying, seed and to start on some type of fence. The cemetery is 115' x 90.

We are having a family reunion in July and my cousin is going to try and get more donations. The reunion next year might be held at the cemetery.

My famous cousin Jimmy Fortune (of Statler Brother fame) will be playing there. I want to have our cemetery "World Class" by then.

More to come as this work in progress unfolds.

Danny
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top