Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/15/2005 3:08:47 PM EDT
What is your opinion of people  wearing camoflauge/BDU's  who AREN'T in the military?
Do you think that the image of a camo-clad gun owner does nothing but hurt the shooting sports? I know IPSC has strict rules about wearing military-themed clothing and gear at their matches, are they being PC or have they just caved in to the liberals of the world?

BTW ,  this is my first post on these forums, they seem like a great source of knowledge and a ton of fun too!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Dress code for funshows. I really like all the pockets and the durability. I have grey,khaki, and black.No camo.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#2]
"Wearing camo outside of the military... "

As gay as this topic. Welcome to arfcom.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome.

They have become pussified if you ask me.
Wearing BDU's doesn't hurt a thing and are more comfortable than most clothing I own.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:12:29 PM EDT
[#4]
The only cammo I wear is my old goretex stuff that they let me keep when I got out.

I don't wear cammo except when hunting or shooting in weather when goretex or ECWS is called for because even though I earned the right to wear it I don't like looking like a wannbe.

That being said, IPSC is a bunch of liberal ass sucking bitches.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I vote no to camo...  Khaki, black, olive drab, etc is ok...

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't have a problem with it if the person wearing it looks sharp.  What I don't like is some 400# asscrack hillbilly wearing a grease-stained field jacket over his Oshkosh B'Goshs, surmounted by a giant head of hair/beard/chins atop which sits a Kiss My Bass or Confederate flag cap.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#7]
oh geez

first the Air$oft stuff, now this...?

I don't wear camo often. In fact I only wear it when I'm snowblowing and it's really freakin cold out. But let's not say everybody who wears it is a wannabe.

FWIW I bought it for paintball. I just haven't been paintballing in, oh, 10 years.

Next up: Short hair cuts outside of the military...
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I dunno about your question, let people wear what they are comfortable in I say.

But more importantly, welcome to AR15.com
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I wear BDU's all the time. More comfortable than jeans.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a pair of BDU pants that I wear sometimes.  I dont give a shit what people think.  I earned it.

Mark.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I dunno about your question, let people wear what they are comfortable in I say.

+1  

Welcome.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#12]
So, I guess owning a Class3 firearm makes you a wannabe too?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

As gay as this topic. Welcome to arfcom.

he
I have one pair of tiger stripe pants I wear sometimes.  I've never worm it to the range, but i have gotten looks at gunshops before. I see no harm in it, but  I can see the point about some massive redneck who just screams "wannabe"
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

As gay as this topic rayra. Welcome to arfcom.

Fixed it for ya
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:25:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Welcome.
No opinion on wearing BDU's but you wont wanna miss the airsofting thread ....
Welcome!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:26:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Its just clothes people.
Military guys sell them here and the military surpluses them out all the time.
You mean to say I couldnt drive a surplus Humvee or I have to turn in my Garand and my Enfield? My bayonet? My ARs built with M16 barrels and uppers? My camo netting? My surplus ammo? My surplus mags?
I have one pair of desert camo BDUs that I bought because they are functional and confortable. If you have a problem with that...well then, I guess you have a problem.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I got out a while ago, but I still wear BDU pants, just not camo. OD or khaki. They look somewhat like the faggoty-ass "cargo pants" that's the fashion nowadays, but more durable.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I use to wear a camo shirt that had the true Vietnam tiger stripe pattern, just like the camo worn in the movie "The Green Berets" with John Wayne.

but people gave me funny looks, like they thought I was a poser? so I stopped wearing it

if I wear regular woodland camo, nobody pays any attention but when I wore VN tiger stripe peoples heads turned.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Its just clothes people.
Military guys sell them here and the military surpluses them out all the time.
You mean to say I couldnt drive a surplus Humvee or I have to turn in my Garand and my Enfield? My bayonet? My ARs built with M16 barrels and uppers? My camo netting? My surplus ammo? My surplus mags?
I have one pair of desert camo BDUs that I bought because they are functional and confortable. If you have a problem with that...well then, I guess you have a problem.

Great reply.

I have lots of camo pants. I don't wear them as fashion, but because they're cheap, durable, don't show stains and best of all because they have lots of pockets.

Why is it a slap in the face to our men in service to wear their hand-me-down clothes? For chrissakes I can't believe it's even an issue.

Find something worthwhile to groan about. Oh, and fuck the IPSC. I'll wear diapers and a viking helmet if I want to.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#20]
  I earned them while I was in, and still wear them, piss on the weenies of the world.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I shudder at the condition of the BDUs I see most people wearing. Theres a reason most of that surplus stuff was DX'd by the original Servive member.

*post contains personal opinion only*
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone who wants to can wear them if you ask me.  I don't care.  Just don't think that BDUs, a black t-shirt, and a fat and sassy lifestyle (i.e. 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag) make you look high speed.

I can speak the truth since I am nothing if not... a few pounds overweight.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#23]
if you wear any type of military uniform you should remove the patches unless you really earned them,
like if you wore a BDU coat with the 101st AB Screaming Eagles patch on the shoulder and never served in the military.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:36:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Good first post....welcome.
I personally dont have a problem with it, but I dont do it either.

If a time came when their was a reason I would benefit from wearing appropriate camo, I would.
As a fashion statement, its not my thing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
if you wear any type of military uniform you should remove the patches unless you really earned them,
like if you wore a BDU coat with the 101st AB Screaming Eagles patch on the shoulder and never served in the military.

I agree with that too.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
What is your opinion of people  wearing camoflauge/BDU's  who AREN'T in the military?
Do you think that the image of a camo-clad gun owner does nothing but hurt the shooting sports? I know IPSC has strict rules about wearing military-themed clothing and gear at their matches, are they being PC or have they just caved in to the liberals of the world?

BTW ,  this is my first post on these forums, they seem like a great source of knowledge and a ton of fun too!

You cannot see me as we speak because I am wearing camo!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't wear current issue pattern cammies, I work with 'real' military people and it is frowned upon in professional company…  my 'practical' gear is beige or black…

I do have a set of cammies for boonie bashing, I wear German Flektarn parka  and pants… perfect woodland camoflage!

ANdy
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I really dont care about BDUs on civillians, per se.
I do have a problem with a couple of things:

"surplus store commandos" (closely related to PX Rangers)

and whatever you call them, transients, bums, the homeless, whatever.
Every couple of months here (PDX Oregon) some group of well meaning shitbirds hands out surplus BDUs to every hobo, junkie, prison escapee, and mental patient who ambles up to the give-away site.
For about a week Portland is occupied by an "army" of what looks like zombie deserters.

It really sucks to be associated with that.

Oh, and the anti-Bush, pinko commie, anarchist, protest-for-the-sake-of-protesting, unwashed, trustafarian, dope smoking, tree hugging, hippie, patcoulli soaked, flag burning, drum banging, jobless, rock throwing, anti-gun, ASSHATS that wear them when they riot.

Midwinter
behind enemy lines in the glorious peoples paradise of Portland

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't care one way or the other...they're just clothes.

BTW, IPSC jerseys are infinitely more gay than camo.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#30]
OK, so what about leaving the "US ARMY" tabs on my field jacket?
I am a college student, and have witnessed a professor (a retired army colonel) bitch out a kid for wearing a BDU shirt with MAJ insignia on it. And i totally agreed with him for doing what he did, but I wonder if the guys in the service see it as an offense? Like I'm pretending to be Army?

I imagine alot of members here are active servicemen/women, anyone care to comment?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

my thoughts also
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I collect them. I wear them. Usually foreign, and not an entire uniform. No patches.

I get some crap from some sheeple. I don't care.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:43:53 PM EDT
[#33]
camo, either military bdus or commercial camo is fine for people to wear.    I live in a more rural area (town of 50,000) so it doesn't seem to matter any.    maybe if you lived in a major city it would seem odd.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#34]
I work outside and wear BDU pants daily. A co-worker of mine gives
me shit about them. I just tell him to fuck off.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#35]
I still have a couple sets of BDUs from when I was in the Army.  The tops don't fit too well, since I am lifting a lot now and wasn't lifting at all then, but the bottoms still fit fine.  I think it's a bit silly to wear them around town, but I sometimes wear the bottoms when I am in the woods camping, hunting, hiking etc...  They are durable and if I tear them up then I didn't tear up my jeans.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I am a college student, and have witnessed a professor (a retired army colonel) bitch out a kid for wearing a BDU shirt with MAJ insignia on it. And i totally agreed with him for doing what he did, but I wonder if the guys in the service see it as an offense? Like I'm pretending to be Army?

I imagine alot of members here are active servicemen/women, anyone care to comment?

I would take off the tags… "I didn't earn them, I shouldn't wear them"

Now as to 'Navy issue fatigues', I do still wear them, but I 'have the right' as I put in the time.

ANdy
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I think if it's YOUR shit, that YOU earned, (and you're OUT), go ahead.  If you're still in it's a no-go.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:49:15 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

cool Prof, whats he teach?
I just ranted a bit, but basically I dont mind if 1-the BDUs dont have markings and
2- even if BDUs are sterile they do not make up the "uniform" of groups like anarchist protesters or similar groups. Names and awards on people's clothing who DID NOT EARN THEM pisses me off.

Midwinter
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#41]
I did not think that camoflauge clothing was strictly for military, I thought it was for camoflauge. If your goal is to be camoflauged, then by all means wear what the hell you want. I could care less about somebody else's wardrobe as I don't give two shits about fashion.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Aren't we all members of the militia?

I don't wear a full suit of it and I don't like wearing woodland but Flecktarn, Swiss, & Austrian I like to wear, along with the Tiger Stripe.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#43]
I have never served.

I own a field jacket and a set of woodland and desert bdus.  I bought the field jacket for $20 at a surplus store (in excellent condition I might add) and wear it when the weather gets cold.  I'm a SoCal boy so don't need a Fargo jacket.  Works great when I go up to the higher altitudes for a day in the snow or what not.

I bought the bdus for paintball/airsoft.

Because you specifically stated in the title, camo and not current or former camoflage uniforms of the military I will ask, have you ever hunted smart game?  Turkeys?

I don't give two shits about people who wear camo around town.  I do mind posers.  When I'm going back and forth between a paintball/airsoft game I normally avoid exiting my vehicle between the field and home.  I'm all dressed up like a poser with too long hair at the time.  

I have no branch/unit insignia on my bdus.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#44]
The only camoflage I don't like is the new gay ass shit that is sold in those fashion stores.
Faded camo pants with holes for $60 just because it has some fancy brand name.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Well no offence to the PCnazi's...But I've earned the right to wear any type of Camo/BDU I damn well please.  I don't wear Cammies all the time, but if I'm running a Combat Course or planning to do some snapping-in then I'll wear Cammies.  I'm verrry comfortable in my Cammies.  I still have some of my issue Around North Florida Cammies are the norm.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:09:35 PM EDT
[#46]
I find Camo pants make excellent work pants (double stitched knees, nice and thick) so if i am clearing off a hillside or something I do not hesitate to wear them, especially since they can be had for so much cheaper than other work wear.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#47]
I really don't care too much. I am a vet and I have worn myold BDUs when hunting/fourwheeling and such. I don't really hold it against non vets who do wear it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
The only camoflage I don't like is the new gay ass shit that is sold in those fashion stores.
Faded camo pants with holes for $60 just because it has some fancy brand name.

ya no kidding, us crazy wannabees are really fashionable... seriously though i have desert cammies, and wear them when i am doing work that i would not want to ruin my nice jeans in, or things that require a range of motion jeans dont allow, or im shooting in the really fucking hot desert. they are the most comfortable pants ever made.

the problem is if your being a poser, like someone asks if you were in the military and your like ya i was in seal team six, and i killed 100 guys with my pinkie, well then your a poser but it doesnt take comfy cammo pants to be a poser.

I also have a dog tag on me, it is my grandfathers and he gave it to me before he died. he is my personal hero and i think i have always felt guilt for not doing more for him. it never has left my neck except the one day the chain got so rusty it snapped. put on a new chain good as new. now any real army guy would know its not mine as it is early WW2 style and im obviously 23.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Amen.

I have worn cammie pants in the past. Basic woodland. I'll do so again in the future, but maybe I'll stick to solids.

The are comfortable, durable, and have lots of pockets. What's not to like?

Besides, when I do wear them, I'm not pretending to be something I'm not or ever was.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top