Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2005 11:05:55 AM EDT
I'll be there for a week.  Nursing a compression fracture while everyone else goes off skiing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#1]
The little bar next to the cop shop downtown is a pretty good joint...college gals.

Mullboons is a pretty good dinner house. You get all you can eat peel yer own shrimp with your meal.

Out on South State is a great country bar....but damn ifin I can remember the name of it. It's at about 75th South.

Have fun in SLC.

Sua Sponte
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Stand on a street corner and shout that you want to learn how to become a Mormon.  You'll make all kinds of new friends.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 11:42:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Temple square is always fun to see if you've got an hour or two.  If you want to see some awesome disaster preparedness stuff, take a free tour of Welfare Square.  You can also tour the "Beehive House" or the Joseph Smith Memorial Building that is right accross from the ZCMI mall.

The ZCMI mall just recently had a great exhibit of Titanic artifacts, but I think it's gone now.  

There's also the Hogle Zoo.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok, taking bets here.......how long untill this seemingly innocent thread becomes a LDS bash fest ??
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 11:43:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Take the 40-minute drive up to Park City...that is one beautiful place with some great shopping!

HH
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ok, taking bets here.......how long untill this seemingly innocent thread becomes a LDS bash fest ??

I don't know, but in the meantime I'm going to try and provide some relevant and helpful information.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Take the 40-minute drive up to Park City...that is one beautiful place with some great shopping!

HH

Lots of galleries in Park City too.

Also, if you don't mind a 1/2 hour drive south, you can go to Thanksgiving Point in Lehi.  It's right off the freeway and there's all sorts of interesting stuff there...hayrides, awesome gardens, shopping, animals, movie theater, often times they have shows and performers, etc.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I think the skiing is going to be crappy right now anyways - high temps = slush.

There are a few cool restaurants in town - try the cinnagrill and go to the top of the joseph smith memorial building for a great view of downtown SLC
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'll be there for a week.  Nursing a compression fracture while everyone else goes off skiing.hr

Temple Square etc etc.....oo and don't wear a t-shirt with your favorite alcoholic beverage on it. Have Fun
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#10]
The best thing to do in Salt Lake is to go to Las Vegas.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#11]
1) #1 best thing to do.  Visit Promentory Point (where they drove the golden spike) and see the working replicas of the trains.  It's so way cool.  :-)

2) Hill AFB museum.  Static displays of aircraft and missiles including the business end (nosecone and communcations bus) of a titan II.  Also, there is a transporter-erector from a minuteman III squadron.  This stuff is here because Hill was the main logistics and repair facility for the minuteman and titan missiles.

3) Shopping at park city.

4) Shooting (assuming you can) at PMAA Hendricksen range at exit 134 off of I-70.

5) Drive 2 hours west and do a bit of gambling at Wendover Nevada.

6) Restaurants: My favorites are the Rodizio Grill (brazillian - all the meat you can eat) and Cafe Pierpont (mexican).  There is also a GREAT mexican restaurant up at the park city resort but I can't remember the name (it's very close to the ticket windows).

Have fun  :-)  

I'll be there next week skiing.  I'm planning to have fun.  Sorry about your injury.

- CD

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#12]
"The Pie" Pizzaria.

Best Pizza in town.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Is the shopping center in the restored train (street cars?) barn still open?  That was the first place I encountered men's clogs (that was pretty wierd, but there they were, European clogs for sale) and the Spaghetti Factory.

By the way, clogs are dumb idea in a region with snow on the ground all winter.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I just got back from skiing out at Alta/Snowbird on Sunday. While there is plenty of snow, its VERY slushy and wet. You're probably not missing much unless you're the type that will really venture through the avalanche control gates and traverse halfway across the mountain to find the good snow! My suggestion: bring your guns and find some UT ARFCOMers to shoot with!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Surf
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm planning on bringing several guns w/ me.  are there any AR15.comers out there?  Any good ranges?  I have a couple relatives (all wife's side) out there interested in trying it out.

I've been to most of the places mentioned above.  Just fishing for fresh ideas.  Suprised no one mentioned the John Browning museum.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#17]
some of the olympic stuff is still there
the temple square is cool to walk around, just be careful of the people on their mission. I asked for where to go to wait for my friend to get done with the temple portion of his wedding and got a 10 minute speech trying to talk my into letting some people on a mission in the Buffalo area come to my apartment to try to convert me
oh yeah, there's a Mexican Consulate just down the road from the Delta Center. Also in that general area is a sort of construction site with this sign

You have to go Olio's for at least one meal. Best food I've ever had and very reasonably priced (at least lunch was, I didn't see the prices for the dinner I had there)
saltlakecity.ichotelsgroup.com/details.process/OID_80/MID_61/CID_1/SID_145/BID_52046/?_IATAno=99504263&refid=1
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:36:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Go to the train park, the breweries on the mtn, and then grab a few vodkas and go to temple square.

Walk up to the most eager looking "elder" or "sister" (title on name badges) and say the following to them: "Gosh, being here and see all this makes me ask myself 'who am I, why am I here, where am I going'?" Repeat until buzz wears off.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Go to the Temple.  Sign anything you can find with your "friend's" name and address.  Even hand out their business card.....

Kennecott Mine visitor center is kinda cool.  Astronauts can see two manmade objects from space.  The Great Wall and the Kennecott pit.

SRM
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:50:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'll be there for a week.  Nursing a compression fracture while everyone else goes off skiing.hr

Dude,

Go up the road a few minutes to Ogden Utah and visit Impact Guns (http://www.impactguns.com/).

They should have enough stuff for you to look at and do there to at least fill up a good part of a day; if memory serves they should have both an indoor pistol and rifle range as well.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:01:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Impact Guns will have some fun stuff for you to look at, but the service needs some help. (Not very friendly, in my past experiences-and I was purchasing a gun). But they do have an indoor range you can shoot at.

Park City is your best option for nightlife, Bars, Restraunts etc...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top