Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2005 7:59:20 AM EDT
I was contacted by a recruiter about a job in western Nebraska.

I never gave Nebraska much thought. That's corn country isn't it?

It IS the middle of nowhere isn't it?

What are the weather and cost of living like?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Where at in "western Nebraska"? Might be more like ranch land than corn country.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:03:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

How far WEST? How far North?  Near what town?

It will be windy no matter what.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:07:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How far WEST? How far North?  Near what town?

It will be windy no matter what.  

Sidney, NE
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Come on, someone has to have been to Sidney NE before!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:24:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Sidney, NE

Well you're all set then.  The best Cabela's in NE is in Sidney.  I don't live real close to there but I have stayed there for a few weeks and been thru there many times.  Flat, cattle/turnip country IIRC. Few trees. Antelope/mule deer.  Big Mac  is somewhat near there (lake).  I would imagine the cost of living is low as it is in my area.  You may also want to IM Bumblebee_Bob as he is originally from SE of there IIRC.  David Hineline may be able to help also.

Also ask in the NE hometown forum.

Have you checked this link?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:33:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Sidney is a little desolate.  It's getting better though.  IF you could get them a little further east like Kearney or GI (where I'm from) then its pretty great.  Great duck pheasant grouse hunting around GI- Ord area.

Chris

ETA: More wheat and grassland out that way than corn.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:35:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I little drive to the west and you can check out the sandhills.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:38:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Population (year 2000): 6,282, Est. population in July 2002: 6,468 (+1.6% change)
Males: 3,007 (47.9%), Females: 3,275 (52.1%)

Hmmmmmm.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:57:15 AM EDT
[#10]
A close friend of mine used to be a truck driver, and at one time, delivered to Sidney weekly.

He LOVED it, and always talked about going back.

Said the hunting opportunities looked awesome.

People seemed really nice, too.

YMMV.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:58:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Well I'm originally from Columbus, NE and spent 30 years in the state. I like Omaha & love Lincoln (and of course Husker football).  But being a realist, outside of those two cities....the rest of the state is a bore.  I hate small towns.  Still hope to move back to NE someday.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Man, the more remote the better!   A well paying job ( I assume) and being out tin the sticks? Couldn't get better.  I deplore living close to any city.  The more the Gangsta/thug-style culture blossoms, the futher away I want to be.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Sidney is a little desolate.  It's getting better though.  IF you could get them a little further east like Kearney or GI (where I'm from) then its pretty great.  Great duck pheasant grouse hunting around GI- Ord area.

Chris

ETA: More wheat and grassland out that way than corn.

Ah, but Sidney has GREAT waterfoul hunting only and hour away between Bridgeport and Ogalalla.  There are also some monster deer in that same corridor.

SBG
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:09:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Sidney is not all that far from cool places in Colorado and Wyoming, also.

I second the vote for small towns in the middle of farm country.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:17:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I live in Lincoln.
I make at least one trip a year to the western part of the state.
Usually a fishing trip in the summer.
Sidney is in ranch country.  Hunting opportunities a plenty near by (inluding Colorado and Wyoming).  A few hours drive to pretty dogone good water fowl hunting.  Pheasant is great in the west but gets better as you go east.  If you can do without Starbucks and like friendly people, western Nebraska is great.  Western Nebraska is the third congressional district in Nebraska.  If you can find two democrats on the same block in a town, one is just visiting.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:21:02 AM EDT
[#16]
If you like Prarie Dogging, you will not be too far from some good places.  They are everywhere out there and spreading.

--JAH
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:03:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Sidney is the home of Cabela's. The home store is pretty awesome. But the only other Cabela's I've been to is the Kearney store. It lacks. Some of the newer super stores might be better though.

Along the river is farm country, more wheat than corn as was said. Plenty of grassland/cattleland beyond the river bottom. Lots of good fishing and hunting all around.

Climate will be extreme. Very cold in the winter to very hot in the summer. A week or so of sub-zero temps in the winter to a week or so of 100+ temps in the summer. But it's a dry heat. Well, dryer than the eastern part of the NE., but not as dry as AZ or here in western CO.

Denver is about 3hrs(?) to the south west. North Platte is a couple to the east. Cheyenne can't be much farther to the west.

Cost of living should be fairly cheap to real cheap, I would imagine. Though I don't think they're as cheap as when I was growing up.

There are worst places to live than Western Nebraska.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:06:32 AM EDT
[#18]
It's like the moon, except there is air and an occasional animal.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:09:17 AM EDT
[#19]
if you like trees, you won't like western nebraska.  on the bright side, when you do see a clump of trees, that means there's something there, like a farmhouse or town or something.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
if you like trees, you won't like western nebraska.  on the bright side, when you do see a clump of trees, that means there's something there, like a farmhouse or town or something.

Yep!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

That's pretty funny........and true.    
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

And that's why Central NE is the place to be.  We sound like a chamber of commerce club, or something.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:46:13 AM EDT
[#23]
My ex is from NE. Very few trees. Lotta rolling hills. Not big, mind you, just rolling. Kinda boring. VERY cold in winter.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Home of the mintuemen missles hidden some where that area, always seen miltary men and women comes to that area, servicing or crews roatation. If you like trains?  50-60 trains in 24 hrs periods acrossing the town, Hell It got everything , There is New  Big Super walmart!! I stopped there every week on way to northwestern pacific and back..   thumbs up!!!!

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I lived in Ogallala, about 60 miles from Sydney.

Whatchya wanna know? Its a good place, kinda feels like the ass end of the Earth att imes but thats what I like about it. Good hunting though. If your a "city slicker" your gonna HATE it, but if you dont mind the outdoors and a smaller town its a good place. Lake McConaughy is a shell of its former self, but still decent fishing and you can throw some skies in the water without much worry. Pretty close to Colorado if you like to ski as well. Basically, I-80 is the dividing line between the sandhills (on the north) and the farmland (to the south).
While that not exactly true, as a general rule of thumb it doesnt work *too* badly. Sydney would be a cross between the two.

If you DO end up out there, PM me and we can hook up and go shooting next time I'm out that way if you want.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Dont forget NE National Forrest... Lots of trees.. largest man made forrest, and it is all US forrest service land...

Western NE may seem like its empty, but their is a lot to do...if you like the outdoors..

You will also be within a days drive to the black hills of South Dakota,,,A real playground...

I am PCS out of this area soon, but I wouldnt mind settling down in this state...

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#27]
West Nebraska would have seceeded from the rest of the state if it wasn't for the cornhusker football team.  Pretty lacking in the culture department, and it's quite a drive to get to some. On the other hand, the drive is pretty straight and easy. I fell asleep once driving through Nebraska with the cruise on. I woke up and it wasn't a problem. The highway is very straight and boring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top