Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2005 4:56:57 AM EDT
I'm trying to figure out how he could have swung this.  He was 26 when his 11 year-old grandson was born, and let's say his son knocked up the kid's mother near puberty, say 14.  So he sired his son when he was 12 or 13?  Dang.

Tree kills grandfather on field trip with Scouts

DEVIL'S PASS TRAIL: The spruce was rotten at its base, troopers say.

By DAN JOLING
The Associated Press

Published: March 15th, 2005
Last Modified: March 15th, 2005 at 01:48 AM

An Anchorage man helping to chaperone a Boy Scout winter camping trip died when a tree blew down and fell on him.

Matthew Johnson, 37, was apparently killed as he was sleeping Sunday in his tent on the Devil's Pass Trail in Chugach National Forest near Cooper Landing.

Johnson was on an outing that included four Scouts and three adults. They were part of Troop 84, sponsored by Moose Lodge 1534 in Midtown Anchorage, said Bill Haines, Scout executive and chief executive officer of the Western Alaska Council.

Johnson was not a registered leader with the unit but was accompanying his 11-year-old grandson on the trip, Haines said. Scouts can be age 11 to 18. He said the boys on the winter campout likely were 11 to 14.

adn.com/news/alaska/story/6272202p-6149296c.html
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:57:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Holy fornication Batman!!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:01:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:03:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Well...  I guess if they're old enough to pee.....  
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:07:13 AM EDT
[#4]
When my married sister became pregnant, she was down in Australia and phoned long distance. The person who took the call was my brother who was 16.

So he drives over to our friends' house where we were about to have dinner.  My brother comes in acting really sheepish and scared and says

"Um, dad?  What do you think about becoming a grandfather?"  Everyone's mouth dropped open, my dad put down the paper and stared staight at the wall.

"Do you have something to announce?" asked dad.

"Yeah, Heather's having a baby!"  Everybody just went WHEW!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:24:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
When my married sister became pregnant, she was down in Australia and phoned long distance. The person who took the call was my brother who was 16.

So he drives over to our friends' house where we were about to have dinner.  My brother comes in acting really sheepish and scared and says

"Um, dad?  What do you think about becoming a grandfather?"  Everyone's mouth dropped open, my dad put down the paper and stared staight at the wall.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:29:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I know someone who was a grandmother at 32.

Yep. Back-to-back 16-year-old pregnancies.....
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:30:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Daddy must be proud.  "Look what my little girl can do!"

I've delivered babies of 13 and 14 year-olds; I've seen 17 year-olds with their second pregnancy.  I'm sure ARDOC has many similar stories.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:34:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Believe it or not, they were both married when they gave birth. Grandma is still married to Grandpa, and the husband of the daughter went from a wonderful husband to a complete scumbag about a year after the birth (twin daughters). He took off and left her AND the children. She's now happily remarried to a man who worships those girls as though they were his own.

Truly an exception to a sad rule....
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:41:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:58:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Good grief!

Y'all must be children, then, and not know how this world ordinarily works.

100 years ago, a 16 year old girl who wasn't engaged to a teenaged boy would have been considered on her way to spinsterhood!

And that's here in the United States!

I cannot imagine it being any different anywhere else on the face of the planet!

Children were valuable commodities in the days of family farms.

Regrettable?

Maybe, but we built a nation on the backs of those teenage brides!

Well, they were on their backs.

My Great Grandmother Mary Ellen Hun (born Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 1845 AD) had 13 children, beginning with the birth of her first at age 17, and concluding with her last, born when she was 39 years old.

In other words, she was pregnant about once every other year during that period.

Period? 'Hell, what's that?', she asked.

Eric The(Self-Serving)Hun

I think there is a difference between folks being married, having a family, and working the farm to survive, and teenage girls having babies and being on Medicaid.

The teen pregnancy rate today has nothing to do with building a family and being productive (not reproductive ).  The majority of these girls get pregnant and have grandma take care of the baby while they go out and party and get knocked up again.

The solution, as far as they are concerned is to either get an abortion or have grandma take care of the next one.  The mindset gets passed from generation to generation.  I would respectfully submit that Mrs. Mary Ellen would see quite a contrast between her and these girls.  And I'm not just bashing the baby factories; the boys who knock them up bear just as much responsibility.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:02:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:06:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I agree; people are people no matter the era.

I tend to get a little cynical because I see the results of these actions almost every day.  It's amazing how many lives are destroyed because of lack of direction and purpose.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:13:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've delivered babies of 13 and 14 year-olds; I've seen 17 year-olds with their second pregnancy.  I'm sure ARDOC has many similar stories.

A girl in my 8th grade class left before April of that year for maternity leave.  She was 13.

They apparently had a 7th grade "graduation" party at her previous school.  Must have been some party...

jim
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:14:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
True, Astro, but I am also certain that there were 'sluts' back in the days of my Great Grandmother, as well.

And there were 'silly boys' back then, too.

There was, however, a natural imperative to settle a continent.

Maybe that's what today's kids are lacking...a sense of purpose.

Eric The(ManifestDestinyIsARealBitch,Ain'tShe?)Hun

I believe the 19th century version of the "Russian Bride Catalog" included a lot of strong healthy Prussian women with childbearing hips, ready to be shipped out to California or the Midwest.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:20:26 AM EDT
[#16]
There was an NBA player who was a grandfather at 26. 13 & 13.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Could it be that he married an older woman who had children from a previous marriage?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:37:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
There was an NBA player who was a grandfather at 26. 13 & 13.

Yeah, TECHNICALLY you could probably almost be a great-grandfather at 37, if you really pushed biology to the limit.    
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:50:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

+1

Not a good situation.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:56:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I worked on the OB ward, youngest "mom" I ever saw was 12, & looked like she had a whole watermelon stuffed in her gut. Best story was the one about the Hmong husband going at it w/ the wife in the OB recovery room, S/P delivering her Nth child. Then, there was the anecdote about the gravida 19...

I give up. It's hopeless.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:00:35 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I know a family that pulled a triple-header. Great-grandmother at 48.

All 3 gave birth at 16, unwed.

the youngest...she thought it was her destiny.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:06:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Damn.  I was killed by a tree, AND I'm a grandfather??  My luck sucks!!

(sometimes it's weird having such a common combination of names)
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:25:30 AM EDT
[#23]
I once worked with a kid that sired a son at age 10.  He was 17 and had a 7 year old!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:55:33 AM EDT
[#24]
This has to be the most disturbing thing I read in a long time.
www.snopes.com/pregnant/medina.asp
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:00:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I remember seeing that story a few years ago, and was equally horrified.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Good grief. My oldest is about to turn 5. I couldn't imagine.....
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:10:53 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Jeeeeeeeeebus!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top