Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2005 4:33:34 AM EDT
What service station do your usually stop at? Do you stop at the same one no matter price, or do you go wherever it is cheapest?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:34:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Ususally the same station but it is also the cheapest.  It's on base.  Out on the road I stick with Sheetz because they are cheap and are usually the cleanest.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:37:17 AM EDT
[#2]
My Jeep gets whatever is cheapest. The Corvette, on the other hand, gets Chevron's 93 octane w/ Techron...
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:39:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Most of the fuel in this part of MI comes from the same TWO depots in Bay City MI.  Doesn't matter what brand it says on the sign out front.  Price is the draw for me.  Lowest cost gets my biz.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:40:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll get whatever is convenient of the "majors": Exxon, Texaco, Shell, Amoco, BP.

I'll pass on the cheap stuff.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:40:41 AM EDT
[#5]
i buy from the closest.
there are 5 stations within a 1/4 mile and if i am going X direction and need gas i buy from X station.  on the road i try to buy Shell or Exxon as i hate having fuel problems on the road
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:40:45 AM EDT
[#6]
It's all the same.  Comes out of the same tanks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:42:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Im a gas whore, whoever is selling it cheap.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:43:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I used to try and stay with the name brands .... because I knew there was a better chance of them having clean fuel (clean tanks and equipment, etc) .... but every tank and pump in the country has been replaced recently anyway (EPA upgrades) ... so it really doesnt matter.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:43:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:47:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Cheap.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:47:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Another penny-pinching scrooge, here!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:52:27 AM EDT
[#12]
QuikTrip is the lowest in my area, I use that.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:00:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Having moved to the midwest recently, I've discovered Sunoco. I swear my car runs better. It's all in my head.

There's a Sunoco across the street from me, so that's where I end up going 99% of the time.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:02:45 AM EDT
[#14]
It's all the same gas...I get the cheapest.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:05:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I run 100LL aviation gas in my '83 Caprice. It loves it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:06:10 AM EDT
[#16]
In Colorado, the grocery stores are often the cheapest. Usually I use Conoco, but for 10 cents a gallon, I will buy my gas at Krogers.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:08:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:10:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Which ever station is on the right side of the road when I realize that I need gas and have time to get it.

New, well lit gas stations draw a preference too.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:23:52 AM EDT
[#19]
My wife and I have 15 years combined working for Mobil. We buy what ever is cheapest (from a quality station).
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:24:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Mobil or Sunoco.

They seem to have the most consistent gas. I only use 93 octane because of how I tuned my car. I can run on 89 octane if I don't gun the throttle... but at highway speeds it'll knock because of the advanced timing.

With BP/Amoco crap, 93 octane might be great 1 week, but the next week it can knock fairly badly.

I stay away from Hess's water laden gas. Speedway has only up to 92 octane.

I can't find any Marathon stations along my route.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:32:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'll get whatever is convenient of the "majors": Exxon, Texaco, Shell, Amoco, BP.

I'll pass on the cheap stuff.

yup, big +1.  I got water and sediment in the gas from one too many of the little no-name stations....that's a helluva way to spend a vacation day.  Broke down on the side of a deserted country road with 23 gallons of contaminated gas, clogged filter and fouled plugs.

I'll go one better--If I can't pay at the pump, I don't get gas there.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:33:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Wherever, but the local BP is the cheapest.  Surprisingly.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:33:52 AM EDT
[#23]
They don't show any loyalty to the customers, screw 'em I buy wherever is cheapest as long as it is regular gas and not some blend.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:35:09 AM EDT
[#24]
I try to stick to either mobile or sunoco, but I will usually fill up with whatever is convenient.
Price doesnt enter into as much, because I already know its going to be expensive no matter what I get...I drive a lot, get 14 MPG, and have a 25 gallon tank.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:39:26 AM EDT
[#25]
I used to buy Phillips 66 gas because they were an Oklahoma based company. But now, I buy whatever's handy....around here the difference between any two stations, if there is one, won't be more than a coupla cents a gallon. To me, it's not worth the time to drive all over the country to save 50 cents.

YMMV of course
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:54:26 AM EDT
[#26]
cheapest, usually the gas station at Walmart.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:57:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Yesterday there was an .18 spread across town. I was able to buy premium for less than most stations were selling regular. That was at a Sunoco. I assume they were not losing money. Do not understand that.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:03:35 AM EDT
[#28]
With these prices, I go where it's the cheapest.  Thats at Sams here in Ms.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:06:39 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a 4 banger in my truck and I've had the opportunity to compare not only octane ratings but brands as well whenever I drive up to the high country here. I have to do two hills that are at least 5 miles long and they take me from roughly 1400ft ASL to 6300ft ASL, with a maybe 550 to 600LB load for a hunting trip.

There is NO difference in performance in the gas that I use, brand or octane-wise. I get just a little better performance with high octane, but not nearly enough to justify spending 10 cents a gallon more on the stuff.

I wouldn't say I use the cheap-shittest stuff I can find but I'm not that picky either. I all seems to work the same.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:07:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Whatever is most convenient.  Otherwise cheapest.

I'll pull back out of a gas station lot and drive to the one across the street if I notice it has pay at the pump, even if it is 2 cents more a gallon.  I hate going inside and waiting in line, or having to give your credit card in order to fill up the tank and then come back in to sign the receipt.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:12:34 AM EDT
[#31]
I drive a small car that gets very good gas mileage, so gas prices have little or no affect on me.  My car holds 11 gallons, and I have to fill it up about every 10 days or so.  That means that a $0.20/gallon increase cost me $2.20 per fill up, and I fill up less than four times per month.  That’s less than $9 per month.  I think I can eat that increase.

I’ve been filling up with MFA gas that is mixed with 10% ethanol.  Gives me higher octane for the same price as the lower octane gas.  My wife’s car is newer than mine, and it can burn E-85 which is 85% ethanol.  E-85 runs at least $0.20/gallon cheaper than the cheapest gasoline, and has a pretty high octane to boot.  I am in the process of purchasing a Honda Civic Hybrid drive vehicle.  It gets 48 Highway/47 City, and it looks, drives, and performs just like a regular Civic.  Can’t beat that with a stick.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:25:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Personally, I go where it is the cheapest. The problem is that here in the PRK, the enviro regs have pretty much put many of the oil refineries out business. Witness, Gulf Oil, Exxon-Mobile, Powerine, so what's left? With refineries that is left, it is pretty much a captive market. The govt has suceeded where big oil has failed, actually created a monopoly, ie if you don't buy from us, who else are you going to buy from. Since we practically have zero competition, the price will shoot up. As the end result we have the highest prices in the USA. The gasoline industry is so tightly regulated by the US EPA, Calif. EPA, South Coast Air Basin, etc that the gasoline is practically the same 99.9% of the time. Notice there is practically zero advertising of gasoline on TV? That is because the gasoline companies can sell every drop the make, with no problem.

Here in the PRK, we have 3 big refinieris that supply all of South. Calif, and some of N. Calif. And the refineries in S.F. supply all of N. Calif. Ultramar/DiamondSharmrock/Superior supplies 95%(I think, don't know the exact %) of the non-branded stations, ie Wall-Mart, Costco etc, and also their won Ultramar station, exact same gasoline from the exact same tanks.  Ultramar/DiamondSharmrock/Superior also supplies many municipals and rental car places.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top