Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/14/2005 10:19:11 PM EDT
I really want a M1 but do not have the money right now. I hopefully will have enough in about a year or so. Will there still be quaility garands then? I am just hoping they do not run out before I save up enough to buy one. Also if I were to buy 2 and sell one what are the resale values of them? I see some going for 500-1000 but are they the same ones from  CMP? I was thinking if I bought 2 I could sell 1.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:02:30 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I really want a M1 but do not have the money right now. I hopefully will have enough in about a year or so. Will there still be quaility garands then? I am just hoping they do not run out before I save up enough to buy one. Also if I were to buy 2 and sell one what are the resale values of them? I see some going for 500-1000 but are they the same ones from  CMP? I was thinking if I bought 2 I could sell 1.

The CMP does not sell you a rifle so you can turn a quick buck on resale...
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:08:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I didn't think they had any  here in stock that they were all out in warehouses or something waiting to be cleaned and assured that they are in good condition.

they aren't there for a quick sale as said above.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:14:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know but I see alot of people selling them for 2x's what they paid for them
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:46:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, and they're defeating the purpose of the CMP too. The CMP is not a cash cow, tho opportunists have turned it into one.

The idea is to sell cheaply American service rifles to teach and to promote marksmanship. If you want to piss on that ideal, then by all means take advantage of it and make some money off the uninitiated.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:53:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Im being Honest with you here....

When I goto a show, and a guy is selling a Garand that he says is a CMP gun and I see a $800.00 tag on it, I tell him flat out how fucked up he is, and I will never buy anything from his table.

Now If I see a guy selling his CMP Garand in the $500.00 and under range... I would not bat a eye to pick it up.

The CMP is not there to make you money.

I got mine in the day where you had to be on a waiting list for damn near a year. (80's) and there was a limit as to how many you could buy, I was also under age and had to have my Grandpa help me with getting the rifle after I did my shoot. Now You can get the damn things all day long, and as many as you want for nothing more than a CPL and a membership to the Garand Collectors assn.

<Edit to add>  I think you should get one, and I hope you do, just dont be a Turd and buy a extra one to sell to pay for the one you keep.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 1:09:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Actually, you can only buy 8 a year.

The CMP does not sell you a rifle so you can turn a quick buck on resale

+1000
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 1:56:49 AM EDT
[#7]
2 . They have two left . One is mine and DK prof is just shit out of luck .
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:19:42 AM EDT
[#8]
If you buy two, keep both.  Don't buy one just to turn around and sell it.  Not cool and it violates the agreement you make with CMP when you buy it.  Read the form and you'll see what we're all talking about.CMP
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:34:18 AM EDT
[#9]
How difficult is it to come up with $315?

Work an extra job for 2 weekends, pick up aluminum cans, sell your beenie babies on fleabay.

The garands will be gone before you know it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:54:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:'

What can you buy for $315?  

M1 Garand, Danish Issue, Springfield Armory Rack Grade $350
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:31:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You can get a Greek Return M1 Garand either HRA or SA delivered right to your door for $315.  These have been inspected for broken parts, head space checked and test fired.

May need new wood, but it is a hellova deal!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:42:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Work an extra job for 2 weekends, pick up aluminum cans, sell your beenie babies on fleabay.

The garands will be gone before you know it.

Now this is the deal of the century.  My Greek "shot out bore for 315 bucks" has a very good barrel on it with decent wood.  Best deal ever.  

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:09:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Better buy now and keep both. In about five years, then you will be able to charge big bucks if you haven't become too attached.

I know some guys who went in to buy only one Garand and now own 10.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:15:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

This is what you can get.... R004HRAR* M1 Garand, Harrington & Richardson Rack Grade  $295 plus shipping is $315 delivered. Here's mine, original wood, and when we chucked it into the lathe, the ding in the muzzle cleaned up nicely. It's my best shooting garand.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:25:39 AM EDT
[#15]
tagd
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:31:55 AM EDT
[#16]
I've bought a M1 Garand beater/shooter from Northridge Guns at the Great Western Gun Show in Pomona back in the early 90s for $250. The handguards rattled and the stock was beat to $hit, but it was still safe to shoot. I think I will sell it for $400, and keep my 2 DCM Garands for my 2 sons.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:36:46 AM EDT
[#17]
The best deal out there is a greek return for $295 and the barrel cmp sells. add a Boyd stock and you have an essentially new rifle about $5-600.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The best deal out there is a greek return for $295 and the barrel cmp sells. add a Boyd stock and you have an essentially new rifle about $5-600.

Nix the Boyds stock, not accurate profile at all and oversized.  A Wenig stock is what most restorers of M1s use.  Much nicer stock and it fits and looks better too.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nix the Boyds stock, not accurate profile at all and oversized.  A Wenig stock is what most restorers of M1s use.  Much nicer stock and it fits and looks better too.

what's the dope on 'em?

where do you get 'em, how much cash?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:51:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Anyone who just buys CMP Garands to just turn around and sell should have the crap beat out of them.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Anyone who just buys CMP Garands to just turn around and sell should have the crap beat out of them.

+1

But at Perry, I heard quite a few guys planning to do just that.

put an $80 stock on a 300 rifle and sell it at a gunshow for 8-900.

Pissed me off, big time.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:56:23 AM EDT
[#22]
*Tagged* for future reading.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, and they are fucking pieces of shit, is that what you want to be?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:01:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what's the dope on 'em?

where do you get 'em, how much cash?

HERE YOU GO,

http://www.wenig.com/welcome.html
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:01:53 AM EDT
[#25]
GREED has no bounds.......

It used to be ya only had to worry about it from lawyers, used car salesmen and politicians.

The more things change, the more they stay the same......

Mike
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Best source for Boyd stocks?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Best source for Boyd stocks?

Buy Here
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:14:43 AM EDT
[#28]
I think the CMP has lots of Garands.  At the levels they staff I think they are kind of metering them out although it seems they can fulfill orders more quickly now than previously.  They made millions of these rifles.  Serial numbers run up through 5,700,000.  Certain configurations (sniper versions)  are scarce as are weapons in original configuation.  Scopes and bayonets are getting expensive.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:25:49 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Scopes and bayonets are getting expensive.

2 days ago at the local gun show, they were asking$75 a pop WITHOUT SCABBARDS!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, and they are fucking pieces of shit, is that what you want to be?

No thats why I asked here first. Just thought of getting two and keeping the better one. And If I did sell I would sell it for the price I got it for. Look here anytime on the EE and you can see CMP garands going for that much, I did'nt know why they were selling for so much when you can just order one from cmp for half price. I was just wondering how some people could sell one for 700-1000 from CMP maybe they did some special work to them or something. But I do agree thats a dick thing to do, to sell for 2x's a much.  I do have the money now but need it for other things, school and car payments and stuff.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#31]
How do you get a hold of CMP?  Contact info please.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

www.odcmp.com
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

www.odcmp.com
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#34]
A friend of mine called the CMP today to find the status of his order and mine.

They said our service-grade rifles are on backorder, and they are expecting their very last batch of them (US service grade), about 5,000 - 7,000 rifles.

If you want a service grade and haven't ordered it yet, get on the stick.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#36]
How are the barrels on the rack grades?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
A friend of mine called the CMP today to find the status of his order and mine.

They said our service-grade rifles are on backorder, and they are expecting their very last batch of them (US service grade), about 5,000 - 7,000 rifles.

If you want a service grade and haven't ordered it yet, get on the stick.

Good info! I'm going to place my order this week!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Okay, I looked at the Boyd's website and all it did was confuse me.  Are any of their stocks drop in? Do the VIP stocks require final fitting?

I did see they were making a thinner profile "WW2 profile" Garand stock.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I was thinking if I bought 2 I could sell 1.

I was thinking I could trace your IP, knock on your door, and proceed to kick you in the nuts.

The CMP does not exist for you to turn a quick profit. Don't be an asshat.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Shell out the extra $35 and get the Danish.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Scopes and bayonets are getting expensive.

2 days ago at the local gun show, they were asking$75 a pop WITHOUT SCABBARDS!

...That was actually a pretty good deal.

Usually, they run OVER $100.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#43]
I got my CCW just to qualify to get my SG SA... It is a beaut too...  Shoots like a dream, my Dad carried one in WWII, it is the last gun I would ever get rid of...
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:10:18 PM EDT
[#44]
I thought the production figures were 4,000,000. The Greeks had been destroying theirs until the US found out.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Okay, I looked at the Boyd's website and all it did was confuse me.  Are any of their stocks drop in? Do the VIP stocks require final fitting?

I did see they were making a thinner profile "WW2 profile" Garand stock.

I really don't know if it's really this complicated but here's some info on stocks

Those Darned Stocks

Perhaps the most commonly confused phase of restoring an M1 Garand has to do with the stock. There are fourteen variations of the M1 Garand stock that have to do with the style and length of the barrel channel, the shape of the pistol grip and the routing for the trigger guard assembly. And then there are the different stock markings which involve inspector's acceptance marks and proof marks. Until about September 1953, Ordnance Department inspectors stamped the left side of M1 Garand stocks with a cartouche that included their initials and the initials of the Springfield National Armory or the manufacturing company, if a contract item.

There were five Springfield inspectors and three Winchester inspectors during World War II (one Winchester inspector appears in two forms). After September 1953, a cartouche of the National Defense Eagle was substituted and so appears on all International Harvester and Harrington & Richardson M1 Garand stocks.

But complicating matters no end, refurbished rifles during and after World War II also had a cartouche applied to their stocks -- mostly refinished or newly manufactured -- that consisted of the inspector's initials and the initials of the facility in which the refurbishment was done. In most cases, they are very similar to those applied to original rifles.

The following table should help to end some of the confusion surrounding the stocks and illustrate how serial numbers and markings can work hand-in-hand to identify a particular rifle for restoration.

www.northcapepubs.com/m1gar.htm#Those%20Darned%20Stocks

There's even more on individual profiling of rifles and stocks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:21:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Mine will be at my door tomorrow! I will post pics tomorrrow night!  The CMP rules!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Anyone that pays $800 for a CMP Garand is a fool.  It is so easy to qualify.  I would join the military again just to qualify.   I doubt the value of garands will go up any time soon since there are sooooo many of them.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, and they're defeating the purpose of the CMP too. The CMP is not a cash cow, tho opportunists have turned it into one.

The idea is to sell cheaply American service rifles to teach and to promote marksmanship. If you want to piss on that ideal, then by all means take advantage of it and make some money off the uninitiated.

Yes, because Capitalism = bad.  

If the guys at the fun shows can sell a CMP for eleventy billion dollars then more power to them.  If you want to get in on the CMP deal then more power to you.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#49]
...Damn you all.

Looks like my tax return will be put towards a Garand instead.

DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH MORE I WILL BE SPENDING ON AMMO BECAUSE OF YOU ALL?! .30-06 ain't cheap, you know! .223 can be.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

If the guys at the fun shows can sell a CMP for eleventy billion dollars then more power to them.  If you want to get in on the CMP deal then more power to you.

I'm also guessing that it's ok for someone to "injure their back on the job" like my neighbor (although he moved a 400lbs lawn mower onto his truck by his lonesome - wish I had a back that was that strong when injured) and get money from taxpayers.

I mean, afterall, if you can get away with it - it's fine! Capitalism? ROB A BANK! If you can do it, all the power to ya!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top