Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2005 8:36:03 PM EDT
Gun-control bills pending in the Illinois Legislature

Gun-control measures before the Illinois General Assembly include:

House

_ HB575: Creates a separate offense for each illegal weapon found on a person and require reporting to authorities lost or stolen weapons; failed in committee, might be recalled.

_ HB794: Closes so-called "gun-show loophole"; awaiting committee vote.

_ HB990: Creates statewide licensing for firearms dealers; awaiting floor vote.

_ HB1060: Bans assault weapons; awaiting committee vote. (You KNOW they'll pass this one!)

_ HB1098: Bans .50-caliber ammunition; awaiting floor vote.

_ HB1349: Requires guns to be sold with "trigger lock" safety devices; awaiting floor vote.

Senate

_ SB55: Creates a separate offense for each illegal weapon found on a person; awaiting floor vote.

_ SB65: Allows state to close dealers who create a "public nuisance" by illegally selling guns; awaiting committee vote.

_ SB219: Creates a separate offense for each illegal weapon a person possesses and requires reporting to authorities lost or stolen weapons; failed in committee, might be recalled.

_ SB317: Limits handgun purchases to one a month; failed in committee, might be recalled.

_ SB319: Stiffens penalties for three-time felons caught with guns; awaiting floor vote.

_ SB332: Statewide licensing of dealers; failed in committee, might be recalled.

_ SB1440: Allows lawsuits for injuries resulting from illegally sold weapons; awaiting committee vote.

---

On the Net

Illinois General Assembly: www.ilga.gov
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Gun-control bills pending in the Illinois Legislature

Gun-control measures before the Illinois General Assembly include:

House

_ HB575: Creates a separate offense for each illegal weapon found on a person and require reporting to authorities lost or stolen weapons; failed in committee, might be recalled.

_ HB794: Closes so-called "gun-show loophole"; awaiting committee vote.

_ HB990: Creates statewide licensing for firearms dealers; awaiting floor vote.

_ HB1060: Bans assault weapons; awaiting committee vote. (You KNOW they'll pass this one!)

_ HB1098: Bans .50-caliber ammunition; awaiting floor vote.

_ HB1349: Requires guns to be sold with "trigger lock" safety devices; awaiting floor vote.

Senate

_ SB55: Creates a separate offense for each illegal weapon found on a person; awaiting floor vote.

_ SB65: Allows state to close dealers who create a "public nuisance" by illegally selling guns; awaiting committee vote.

_ SB219: Creates a separate offense for each illegal weapon a person possesses and requires reporting to authorities lost or stolen weapons; failed in committee, might be recalled.

_ SB317: Limits handgun purchases to one a month; failed in committee, might be recalled.

_ SB319: Stiffens penalties for three-time felons caught with guns; awaiting floor vote.

_ SB332: Statewide licensing of dealers; failed in committee, might be recalled.

_ SB1440: Allows lawsuits for injuries resulting from illegally sold weapons; awaiting committee vote.

---

On the Net

Illinois General Assembly: www.ilga.gov

1 handgun a month?  I guess your much more accurate running around shooting with one in each hand
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:38:48 PM EDT
[#2]

What the hell is wrong with that?

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#3]
what about the CCW? did it pass or did it get vetoed?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:45:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

What the hell is wrong with that?

Did I underline that???
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:46:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Illinois has been screwed since 1968.

AB
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:50:55 AM EDT
[#6]
What is this gun-show loophole I keep hearing about? When I purchase firearms at a show, I still have to fill out the federal form and pass the background check. WTF? Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:47:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What is this gun-show loophole I keep hearing about? When I purchase firearms at a show, I still have to fill out the federal form and pass the background check. WTF? Am I missing something?

The freedom hating anti-gunners think that sales between private individuals (in anti-gun parlance "unlicensed dealers") constitutes a loophole. They are just trying to create a backdoor registration scheme by making private individuals use government resources to do background checks on other private individuals.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:48:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What they actually mean is a ban on private sales.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:49:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The freedom hating anti-gunners think that sales between private individuals (in anti-gun parlance "unlicensed dealers") constitutes a loophole. They are just trying to create a backdoor registration scheme by making private individuals use government resources to do background checks on other private individuals.

We're already registered.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

1 handgun a month?  I guess your much more accurate running around shooting with one in each hand

Last year I was a juror in a gun trafficking case.  One perp purchased 5-10 guns a week in Indiana which he traded for drugs in Illinois.  He had a CCW from when he lived in IN.  He was since a felon in IL, but never turned in his CCW.  Alert gunshop employee called the feds after 8 weeks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last year I was a juror in a gun trafficking case.  One perp purchased 5-10 guns a week in Indiana which he traded for drugs in Illinois.  He had a CCW from when he lived in IN.  He was since a felon in IL, but never turned in his CCW.  Alert gunshop employee called the feds after 8 weeks.

While trading drugs for guns is a crime, I hope you don't feel that purchasing 10 guns a week is or should be against the law. It sounds like you do, so please explain yourself. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:29:28 AM EDT
[#12]
These are pretty much the same bills that get brought up every year, so far, none have them have made it very far.

In the last few years, the AWB has never made it out of committee.  Daley forgets that as soon as you get away from Chicago, both Republicans AND Democrats are against more gun control.

In this state, it's not about what party you are, it's where you live.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

You are correct.  There is no "loophole".  These legislators, who are sponsors of this bill, don't even know the laws.  I'm sure the ones that do, and will sign on to be sponsors, are trying to stop private individuals from selling at gun shows.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

While trading drugs for guns is a crime, I hope you don't feel that purchasing 10 guns a week is or should be against the law. It sounds like you do, so please explain yourself. Thanks!

I was merely pointing out that the banger may not be purchasing them for himself so as to have "one in each hand".  

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was merely pointing out that the banger may not be purchasing them for himself so as to have "one in each hand".  

OK, I get it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
These are pretty much the same bills that get brought up every year, so far, none have them have made it very far.

In the last few years, the AWB has never made it out of committee.  Daley forgets that as soon as you get away from Chicago, both Republicans AND Democrats are against more gun control.

Very true, the closer you are to chicago, the more republicans become the sterotypical democrat. the further from chicago you are, the more the democrats become stereotypical republicans.  keep in mind that illinois is largely a farming state, and farmers will not be seperated from their guns.  We here in Illinois will keep fighting to stop the Daley machine, we still have freedoms that many other states don't.  We also have less than some others.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very true, the closer you are to chicago, the more republicans become the sterotypical democrat. the further from chicago you are, the more the democrats become stereotypical republicans.  keep in mind that illinois is largely a farming state, and farmers will not be seperated from their guns.  We here in Illinois will keep fighting to stop the Daley machine, we still have freedoms that many other states don't.  We also have less than some others.

This is what people in Chicago don't understand.  Most of Illinois is still prairie and farm fields.  In the suburban Chicago areas, they are becoming less republican, because there are a lot of Chicagoans that are moving out of the city because of crime, bad schools, parking problems, etc. and they are polluting the voting pool in the collar counties.  It will only get worse, and the democrats that run for state offices from Will, Lake, McHenry, and Kane counties will have the votes from these people to eventually get elected to the state house and senate, and they will con enough republicans in those areas to make it happen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top