Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2005 6:47:21 PM EDT
I am just wondering why they do it? is it a "im as tough as nails sort of thing?"  is it for venilation or too toughen up your feet?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds dumb to me. I carried almost 24 pair of socks anytime I went to the field. If there was room enough I shoved a powdered ziplocked bag of socks in there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Never seen that.

Dry socks are like gold!!

ETA:  Maybe if you KNEW you were about to get soaked (like swimming a river), and you had time to take 'em off and pack them somewhere waterproof - but that seems like a stretch.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#3]
we do a white sock wednesday

RaGe AgAiNsT tHe MaChInE

i bet their fuckin boots would smell like asshole though
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah during swim trials.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:16:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Sounds dumb to me. I carried almost 24 pair of socks anytime I went to the field. If there was room enough I shoved a powdered ziplocked bag of socks in there.

What is "almost 24 pair?" 47 socks?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is "almost 24 pair?" 47 socks?

Hey there is always one missing. 24 pair was always my goal. Sometimes I would fall short of that goal, but not often.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#7]
In all my years in I never heard of such a thing. Good socks are a VERY high priority to any grunt. They rate up there with ammo. I have never seen an infantryman do that. That is absolutely ridiculous. Your feet would blister up, and you would be worthless in very short order.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes,
Buddy of mine who was a PL in 1st Bat was sockless.
If you can get your feet hard enough, it totally eliminates blisters.
Also, with jungle boots, your feet dry much, much faster.
I have known a couple others who have pulled it off.  I am not one of them, however.
wish I could, but I don't blister much as it is.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#9]
A grunt lives on their feet. I always had extra socks with me. When we stopped for whatever reason on a road march, I would change socks if time allowed.
If you go without socks, you might as well be barefoot.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#10]
When I served my time, dry socks were always a priority (hot showers and  hot meals followed in that order).

30 years later, I'm a firefighter with 20 years on the job and I keep several pairs of socks in my locker because I know at any given time my feet are going to get wet.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Never, only time was swin qualification in bootcamp
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I have gone sockless if its a dry enviroment.  I do now sometimes to hike in the moutains.  Yep, boots stay outside when done.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:42:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yes,
I have known a couple others who have pulled it off.  I am not one of them, however.

I treated a guy for cellulosis that was of the sockless philosophy.  He did fine until one wet month in the woods convinced him it wasn't such a great idea.  I have heard stories about guys that have no problems doing that, but I have never met them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes,

I treated a guy for cellulosis that was of the sockless philosophy.  He did fine until one wet month in the woods convinced him it wasn't such a great idea.  I have heard stories about guys that have no problems doing that, but I have never met them.

They are out there.  I ain't one of them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Never. Although I had one pair of all-leather boots that was so supremely broken in / comfortable that I probably could have managed it. Loved those things so much I got'em re-soled twice at almost the same price as a new pair each time.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:51:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes,

The Viet Cong didn't need socks.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Last time I wore my boots without socks it was hell to try and pull them off, since the lining grabbed my feet.  Now useing the same pair of socks for months I can understand
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The US military didn't wear sandals.

Sockless (and protecting the soles of your feet), works great as long as your feet have a chance to air out and not be chaffed or confined in wet leather boots.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The US military didn't wear sandals.

Sockless (and protecting the soles of your feet), works great as long as your feet have a chance to air out and not be chaffed or confined in wet leather boots.

The question was "have you ever seen guys in the military not wear socks on purpose". Nothing mentioned about boots without socks.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#20]
As mentioned clean dry socks are like mail from home!!!!!!

Better than the can of spam or dried fruitcake!!

Bob
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:19:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I occasionally go without socks in my boots, unless we're rucking somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#22]
saw a guy do it getting ready for the Q course, wanted to toughen his feet up.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I had an Airman that would get really bad blisters.  It would only happen on the days where our work load was the greatest.  I knew that this piece of shit was up to something so I had another Airman follow him around.  The guy had follow him comes to me and says "A1C Xxxx went to his locker, grabbed some socks and headed to the bathroom.  His pants are bloused shitty and I saw that he wasn't wearing socks when he went into the bathroom."  I stormed in there and caught him just as he was taking a boot off.  Turns out he wouldn't wear the socks just so he would get the blisters and be placed on light duty.  Before coming to a supervisor he would put the socks on.

I nailed his ass to the wall for that and a lot of other thing.  He was released from his active duty commitment as an E-1.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:35:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

The question was "have you ever seen guys in the military not wear socks on purpose". Nothing mentioned about boots without socks.

So... what you're suggesting is that "guys in the military" aren't wearing boots or socks... in other words going around totally bare foot?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So... what you're suggesting is that "guys in the military" aren't wearing boots or socks... in other words going around totally bare foot?

If your asking about military being bare foot read some of the non-ficton Vietnam books.  Some of the SEAL teams went bare foot all the time.  Tracks would look like a squad of VC giants instead of US troops.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:44:54 PM EDT
[#26]
That is crazy, clean dry socks is one of the most important things along with t-shirts, underwear, and of course snacks aka"pougey bait"
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I've never seen it myself, except one time when I was in the shower and the XO passed the word for me to get down to the quarterdeck NOW and attend to a bunch of Spanish tourists who couldn't be communicated with.

I did a uniform drill and threw on my khakis in record time, not bothering with socks. Stood on my feet for three hours. It wasn't fun. I can't imagine running without them.

That said, I've heard it said that the SEALs in Vietnam went sockless because the socks were more of a problem when wet than bare feet in boots. I have absolutely no idea if that's accurate or not.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#28]
yes.

in hot climates.

like going commando, but with your feet.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:50:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I had a pair of old jungle boots that fit like gloves.  In the summer with the high humidity, my feet stayed drier without wet socks and I figured it helped to keep them toughend up.  Only did it in garrison, NEVER in the field.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Nope.  I, too, belonged to the "always carry an ass of socks to the field" school of thought.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I have seen guys do it at Ranger School, and I am pretty sure I could have gotten away with it at the time.  My feet were hard as rock back then.  Never did do it, though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I went without my socks once & only once.  

I was mowing the battalion HQ in my PT uniform, but I didn't wear my sock because I didn't want to get grass stains on them.  BN Commander saw me & asked why I was out of uniform. I told that the Plt Sgt said that I could wear my PT uniform for mowing. He ask if that was the proper dress for PT. I then remember the socks. I had to "beat my feet" (deep knee bends) for a few minutes. Then I was back to mowing & mumbling "FTA, ETA 16FEB87"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top