Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2005 9:58:28 AM EDT
Wondering how many of you guys have read it. I'm about 70 pages or so from the end.

Not near his best work, but definitely good stuff IMHO. I always thought of him as more of a liberal type, but his depictions of right-wing types is actually pretty spot-on in this book.

Good read, not his best as I said, but definitely worthwhile. If I had three 4 or 5 hour sessions to read it I think I'd be done already, it's a very fast read.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I find his writing to be very boring and predictible.

Also, the endings are the same in all his books.

DON'T READ FURTHER UNLESS YOU HAVE ALREADY READ MOST OF HIS BOOKS!!!

In the end of his books, the main character always flies away. It's like he gets to a point in his writing and gets bored or something... It's like he's thinking: "Gee, this book was fun to write, but now I can't decide how to end it. I know! The main character will fly away!"

Congo: The main characters get into a hot air balloon that they somehow happen to find, and they fly away.
Sphere: They get into an escape pod and float away
Jurrassic park: They get into a helicopter and fly away
Timeline: They get into a time machine and warp away

I know I've read more of his books, but that's all I can think of right now...

His stuff is entertaining, but I think it's mostly crap compared to some other writers out there.

Thanks for the recommendation, but unless I get a lot of them for his books, I usually pass on them now.

Shawn
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:09:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

In the end of his books, the main character always flies away. It's like he gets to a point in his writing and gets bored or something... It's like he's thinking: "Gee, this book was fun to write, but now I can't decide how to end it. I know! The main character will fly away!"

Congo: The main characters get into a hot air balloon that they somehow happen to find, and they fly away.

His stuff is entertaining, but I think it's mostly crap compared to some other writers out there.

Thanks for the recommendation, but unless I get a lot of them for his books, I usually pass on them now.

Shawn

yeah but state of fear: ownage of hippie wacko environmentalists.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shawn

yeah but state of fear: ownage of hippie wacko environmentalists.

That was what got me about the book. It's fiction of course, but it's provocative fiction. And yeah, his books seem to have the same plot outline "We invent technology/technology goes awry/small team of people are sent in to deal with technology/some of them die/then they evidently fly away (see above) "... This one is quite different.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#4]
His books are written for adaption into movies.  His books do not qualify as literature.  They are screenplays masquerading as novels.  He taps into the money from the book sales but is really after the money from the movie versions.  

Don't all movies end with the hero riding off into the sunset?  Why should Chrichton be any different?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top