Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2005 9:36:12 AM EDT
"Buddie," my shelter-rescue mixed-breed who's new to our home this past two weeks, seems to sniff at the ground a great deal. He seems to follow tracks with great competence, and he can find (and eat) any chewing gum within a 5 foot radus. Since I live near a school yard, that's about every ten feet .

He's a mix of what looks like Australian Sheperd (no tail), Border Collie, and potentially a tiny fraction of Golden Retriever. Since the other two breeds aren't known for their keen sense of smell, I wonder why this dog seems to be able to run a scent down like he's a Coonhound?

How good is a dog's sense of smell, anyhow? From the way this dog acts, I'd bet that he can "see" the world through his nose.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:46:07 AM EDT
[#1]
My dogs smell is amazing.  I was in the bedroom and had the worse smelling farts of my life.  Right after I let loose I heard my dog throwing up in the living room.

Coincidence?  I think not.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:46:25 AM EDT
[#2]

From the way this dog acts, I'd bet that he can "see" the world through his nose.

Good description. I have a blood hound and this is her reality. When she starts to track, she'll drag you.  She'll run out infront of cars...she becomes oblivious to anything but the scent she's on.

-HS
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a 97 Dodge 4x4 pick up. It had a tool box in the back. On my way home from work one day, I stopped and got some treats for my Lab. I put the treats in the tool box and left them there because I had a handfull of other things to take inside. I put my things away and let the dog outside. She pissed and then went directly to my truck and began yellping and looking up at the tool box. I was not in the habit of leaving treats in the tool box. She had never seen me take treats out of the tool box. She could just smell the damn things in there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Australian Shepherds are very good tracking dogs. They are used for search and rescue by a couple of local groups. I have two of them myself and both have been trained for search purposes.

Not just for people but also for Guns and Explosives. With some training for Drugs. It is hard to do both Explosives and drugs but with persistance they can do it.

The instructor that was working with my wife and me and our dogs, from what I can remember said that a dogs sense of smell is somewhere around 1000 times that of a human. I could be remembering wrong but i think that is what he said.

Good luck with your new friend.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:10:32 AM EDT
[#5]
they are doing test with dogs finding some forms of cancer in humans. that is no shit. Good thing dogs like to smell butts because it would suck to be one if they didnt.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Some search dogs can smell a body deep under water, while cruising in a boat above it. Cadaver dogs I believe they're called.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:44:54 AM EDT
[#7]
We've got a Walker Hound, she lay's in her bed at one end of the house & can smell cats when they enter her fenced domain outside. She's incredible, however when she  gets loose her nose goes down & she just starts run'in & baying & doesn't hear a word that you say.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:49:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I used to do a lot of quail hunting.

Watching an English Pointer work is amazing.  I've read that they can catch a few molecules of quail scent across a field.

I've seen my pointer run across a field, stop, turn 90 degrees, and then run over 100 yards and screech to a halt, pointing one quail.

Imagine how little scent one quail gives across a 100 yard field on a windy day.

They are amazing animals.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#9]
A dog's sense of smell is 10,000 to 100,000 times more actute than a human's.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I read a few years ago that a Lab has 220 million scent receptacles in his nose & a human has 5 million.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#11]
The coyotegods website has an article saying a coyote can smell a man at 800 yards no problem.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The coyotegods website has an article saying a coyote can smell a man at 800 yards no problem.

Must just be when the wind is right.  My dad's popped a few coyotes from his deer stand at less than 150 yards.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I know my dog can always find where I hid the treats.....
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I really wonder about the amount of "scent-hound" that's in my dog - he seems to have similar experiences to all of your descriptions. I can only imagine what it must be like if another of my senses than my vision was so enhanced that I could tell what everything was doing around me as a result of using that sense.

I often think about the "directionality" of my sense of hearing - how I can tell where in the room a sound has been made. My sense of hearing is quite good, but it's nothing in comparison to my vision. I think that men receive 99% of their sense of perception from their eyes. With animals, I can only suspect that the number is much lower, unless it's a falcon or owl you're talking about - then, all bets are off!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I used to take my Black Lab dove hunting, and where we'd go the weeds were so thick you couldn't hardly even see the ground.  Labs have to 'smell hunt' doves, and she would find every damn one of 'em in a heartbeat.  Labs noses are so good they're used for bomb squads and such.

Their sense of smell is just incredible.

HH
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Cops that are K9 Officers swear they can smell a roach clip in the next county.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:14:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I used to take my Black Lab dove hunting, and where we'd go the weeds were so thick you couldn't hardly even see the ground.  Labs have to 'smell hunt' doves, and she would find every damn one of 'em in a heartbeat.  Labs noses are so good they're used for bomb squads and such.

HH

My labs dig up and kill every mole and rat within 100 yards of my house. It is amazing to see them bring them up to let me see. I need to get him to track downed deer.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I saw something on TV a few years ago, in which they tested a really experienced blood hound.

Turns out, the dog's nose was so sensitive, he could track a man who's driven off in a car, by following the scent he left in the air.

He could also track people over water by the scent they left when they paddled over it.
As long as the water wasn't moving, he could follow people all over the lake.

Some dogs apparently can SMELL certain diseases like cancer, and get a better diagnosis than the medical tests can in the early stages.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#21]
When I was in Yakima, the Hanford DOE guys would bring out their explosive sniffing dog to do training with us.  We stuck a rag with explosive residue inside a ammo can and then threw it in the back of our old response vehicle.  The dog walked up the line of our trucks, then headed back to the correct truck, and then just sat right there.  

This dog was the only explosive sniffing dog that could last in the desert in the whole state.  Apparently it takes some time for the dogs to get acclimated to the desert.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:45:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, I just took the "DogBall" out for a walk (wife's nick-name for him; he comes back from walks and gets so MF'in' ramped up that he turns into a dogball-shaped bullet, runnin' 'round the house like a chicken with his head cut off - it really disturbs the cats and amuses me) and was astonished to find him nosing through freshly laid snow for various ojbects beneath.

He's a wonder, that dog.

Didn't Slick Willie have himself a dog named "Buddy," that through Clintonesque inattention, got himself killed?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, Bill had a Chocolate Lab that died...but I forget exactly how.

HH
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:49:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Yeah, Bill had a Chocolate Lab that died...but I forget exactly how.

HH

Buddy was a photo opp dog....poor thing.

He got lose from the security guy he actually lived with, and was hit by a car.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HH

My labs dig up and kill every mole and rat within 100 yards of my house. It is amazing to see them bring them up to let me see. I need to get him to track downed deer.

I would've loved to have taken mine Pheasant/Quail hunting up in Nebraska when I lived up there...those damn roosters would've NEVER gotten away with my Lab around, and I can't tell you how many quail weren't recovered-she'd have found 'em all.  Best breed of dog in the world.

HH
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#26]
reason #24435 as to why dogs are better than cats.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top