Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2005 9:15:52 AM EDT
Just thinking out loud,

What would be the Pros / Cons if Law enforcement (local, state and federal Police, but Non Military) agencies had to follow the same firearms requirements that the civilian population has to?    IE following all of the NFA, SBR, 86 Ban and the like in their operations??

Do you think it would make a difference in some of the laws we see being today as well as bills on the horizon?  What about a future AWB?

Im not arguing for or against it, but just curious what everyone's opinion would be.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:17:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Not much really. If they had to follow the same protocols, they would get their toys just a few days later. No change really.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Not that far off anyway.  NFA is a letterhead away instead of a Form 4.  OK, saves some time like .50cal said.

Other than that, what's the difference?

Let's be honest here, NFA items play a pretty minor role in Law Enforcement firearms.

I think the interesting question would be, what if civilian restrictions were so tight that manufacturers and choices went away.  I think having a profitable "civilian" business helps Law Enforcement in the long run, allowing lots of choices in equipment at more reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:19:56 AM EDT
[#3]
What about the '86 Restrictions on new MGs?   Also,  Although it is past, what about the 10rd Mag limits?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:22:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:15:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Already do.  I go thru the insta-check/yellow forms, etc. just like everyone else.

How would you like to see gun owners in general go thru the background checks and training the typical officer has to go thru?  

There'd be a heck of a lot  fewer  gunowners.    
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:18:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Already do.  I go thru the insta-check/yellow forms, etc. just like everyone else.

How would you like to see gun owners in general go thru the background checks and training the typical officer has to go thru?  

Well, I'll tell you. In Texas at least, the Concealed Handgun background checks the state does are more intrusive and restrictive than Texas Peace Officers get.  They even check back taxes, etc before issuing CHL's in Texas
so at least here, it would be the other way around.  

You're behind on property taxes in Texas, you can be a peace officer but not get a CHL.  So here at least, there would be a heck of a lot fewer cops.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:28:19 AM EDT
[#7]
How would LEO's like to have to use "smart guns" as in New Jersey?  This would prevent such tragedies as the Georgia court house murders.  But LEO's are exempt from having to use "smart guns" under the NJ law.  You see, these "smart guns" are not reliable enough to suit police, but apparently they are OK to be foisted on the rest of us.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Some have purposed a ' what's good for the goose is good for the gander' law before.  For the most part, I think it's a good idea as it establishes the basic equity of all citizens.  This being said, I do see some problems with it.  Too often laws are written that exempt LEOs which buys the endorsement of the upper level political types.  

I think it's more important Judicially than tactically.  For example, Martha Stewart went to jail for lying to a government offical, who was in effect lying to her.  She goes to jail, he gets a pat on the back from his superiors....
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#9]
It always amazes me how different each state is.
In Virginia, for my "civilian" carry permit, all I had to do was pass a State Police criminal records check and FBI fingerprint check and show proof that I had attended an approved "firearms safety" class ...no qualifications course or any shooting at all for that matter was required....Total time, approx. 45 days.

Before I could carry off duty/concealed on my dept creds, I had to pass a written test, physical ability test,  an oral review board, a medical exam, a polygraph exam, and a full background investigation....ETA: Background included financial (credit, incomtax, etc...) matters and interviews with past and current employers, neighbors and aquaintences. then I had to go through training and qualifications within my department and then complete the basic LE academy (and their firearms training and quals).....total time, approximately 10 months.

Fortunately, I still had my "civillian" permit, so I could carry my own firearm concealed with it (as long as I didn't have my dept. creds with me at the time).

When I buy a firearm, I have to go through all the same checks,  requirements and "waiting periods" as anyone else in my area.  

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I'll tell you. In Texas at least, the Concealed Handgun background checks the state does are more intrusive and restrictive than Texas Peace Officers get.  They even check back taxes, etc before issuing CHL's in Texas
so at least here, it would be the other way around.  

You're behind on property taxes in Texas, you can be a peace officer but not get a CHL.  So here at least, there would be a heck of a lot fewer cops.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top