Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2005 8:00:01 AM EDT
I went to the range yesterday and I am having some problems shooting and wanted some advice on how to fix this problem.  I shoot with a Glock 19 with night sights and 3.5 connector.  At 10 yards away I can stack bullets on top of each other and place them all in the 10 ring.  I move my target out to 20 yards and then it all starts going to hell.  I can hit the target but they are all over.  No one thing I am doing I can think of to fix this problem.  They all stay around a 15" circle but no pattern what so ever.  

My eyes are checked every 6 months for my job and they are always 20/20  Is there something I can do to help me draw my rounds in closer?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:58:45 AM EDT
[#2]
thank you for the tips, I ll have to find a 1911 to see if that will solve the problem.  I guess that gives me a reason to buy something new!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:16:16 AM EDT
[#3]
On the presumption that you are Right Handed

First, your stance.

Stand with your feet shoulder width apart. Presuming you are RH, place your RH foot back with the toe about even with your LH heel. Stand like a boxer would. Knees unlocked, lean slightly forward like you are pushing against something.  Got it?

Now your grip.

Hand high on the gun, try to crush the grip. Wrap your support hand over your grip hand so that your fingers lay on top of the others. I won't bother with Weaver, Chapman or Isocoles, just hold your arms extended but comfortable. Now, put your head down so that your cheek comes close to or touches  your right shoulder .  Hunker or "vulture" down behind the gun. Sight up your arm. Got it?

Now get your sight picture.

Top of the front sight should be level with the top of the rear sight, front sight should be centered in rear sight. Target should perch on top of the front sight like a golf ball on a tee. Now, above all & most critical, FOCUS ON THE FRONT SIGHT THe front sight should be clear, the rear sight & target blurry. Keep your front sight in focus and resist the urge to look at the target to see your hits. Got it? Now close your eyes, count to 3 then open them. Are you still on target? If not, move your body left ot right untill you are centered on target after closing & opening your eyes a few times. THis is your natureal point of aim.

Trigger control

Now, slowly squeeze the trigger while watching the front sight to see that it stays steady. Stay focused on the front sight dammit!! Pretend you are squeezing a single drop of water out of an eye dropper. The discharge should be a surprise. Get the front sight back in focus, on the target and repeat.

Work at it. If you want to try an experiment. Do everything I say but close your eyes before your squeeze the trigger each time. Do that for 10 rounds and see how it looks.

Go over in your head as you shoot, stance, high hand, crush grip, front sight, smooth squeeze.

Report Back, let me know how it goes.

HTH
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Its not your eyes, or the sights.  Its the Grip angle of the Glock and its fat mag.  Try a 1911 and see if that does not fit your hand better.  Up close, with more room for error your shots are fine.  At distance where every variance is amplified, its not holding it together.

Bullshit!

I go to the range all the time and listen to people bitch about what a piece of shit their Taurus, Glock, Kimber, S&W, Wilson Combat, Sig, Walther....  etc. is. More often than not, I ask to see it and dump a magazine in a 2 inch hole. it might be 6 inches left and 9 inches low because they dicked with the sights to the point they are hanging off one side of the gun. But the solution to every problem isn't a 1911. The locked breech design of a Glock & Sig is far more accurate than a sloppy ass 1911. Only design more accurate is the fixed barrel design  like a HK P7 or the Walther PPK. Learn to shoot, then buy a gun that fits. Learn to walk, buy shoes that fit.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#5]
CS where are you located in FL?  IF you are near Miami I would like to shoot with you sometime to see what I am doing wrong!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#6]
It's all in your head.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top