Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2005 2:38:12 AM EDT
MIRACLE - wow, what a movie.  I was in 7th grade when the "Miracle on Ice" occurred.  I was just starting to get interested in politics and what was going on in the world.  My dad was XO of Yuma MCAS and was training for the Iran Hostage Rescue Mission at the time.  

This movie brought tears to my eyes, my wife's eyes, hell even the cats and dog got misty.

It made me wonder - what if we had lost?  The Soviets looked like they were right, they had invaded Afghanistan, we were being humiliated by the Muslims, the oil crisis, inflation, and a fucking weak president who's only response to all of these crises was telling people to wear sweaters and telling the Soviet's that we'd boycott their olympics.

I think as a nation our morale was in the crapper.  And yet these young college kids beat the best team in the world, fair and square.

But if we had lost . . . . . . well, is it possible that our win helped, in no small way, to reinstill some pride in us?  Convince us we weren't beaten?  And when Reagan came along and gave us hope and optimism again, we responded?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:54:57 AM EDT
[#1]
we were expected to lose.

don't think it would have made an overwhelming difference.

good flick, though.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:28:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I loved the intro to that movie.  Summed up the national funk the US was in during the peanut years.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:37:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Good movie. My wife and I saw it in the theater last winter while on a weekend getaway to New Hampshire. Unfortunately, I was kinda young to remember the Olympics that year (hockey wasn't on my radar screen) but I remember the times fairly well.

Again, good movie. I may buy the DVD.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:39:43 AM EDT
[#4]
The big change during those years was By soon to be President Reagan.  We really didn't get out of the post Vietnam Funk till 82.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top