Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2005 5:47:24 PM EDT
I was watching a Verizon commericial about their new service that eliminates "wi-fi" and the need for "hotspots".  What is WiFi?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#1]
wireless fidelity

Wireless network
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I was watching a Verizon commericial about their new service that eliminates "wi-fi" and the need for "hotspots".  What is WiFi?

What they are probably getting at is that they will sell you on some plan that lets you use you cell phone as a wireless data link.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
wireless fidelity

Wireless network

My laptop had a wireless card that let me get Internet from my mom's computer.

Does this qualify as WiFI?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
wireless fidelity

Wireless network

My laptop had a wireless card that let me get Internet from my mom's computer.

Does this qualify as WiFI?

Yes
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Sure, a "hot spot" is just an area where you have a wireless connection.

Your mom must have a wireless router or wireless access point.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Verizon is in the process of installing a technology called EVDO that allows high speed internet throught your phone or an air card for your laptop.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#7]
The telecom industry is doing everything is can to stop wifi networks from widespread use for internet. heres hoping wimax makes them scared

-foxxz
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:11:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sure, a "hot spot" is just an arera where you have a wireless connection.

Your mom must have a wireless router or wireless access point.

Wireless router.  I also have an internal wireless card with an antenna sticking out the back of teh computer case.  I have a desktop.  My old laptop had a wireless card.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:11:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The telecom industry is doing everything is can to stop wifi networks from widespread use for internet. heres hoping wimax makes them scared

-foxxz

BS, the company I work for is putting up our own hotspots.  We are actually working on making our dsl lines 26meg and serve IPTV.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-foxxz

BS, the company I work for is putting up our own hotspots.  We are actually working on making our dsl lines 26meg and serve IPTV.

guess that must be why they brought laws into effect in PA that prevent cities from building their own networks. i think the same thing is being worked on in texas and other areas. wouldnt want competition. i hope they bring up that dsl speed. the stuff they have now can hardly be called broadband.

-foxxz
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top