Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2005 4:53:19 PM EDT
Anyone have anything to say about the Auto-Ordnance M1 .30 Carbine?  As always, any and all input would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Respectfully,

Justin
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice weapon, I prefer a gun that kills in one shot though
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#5]
load it up with soft points and it'll do about as good a job as a .38 special. but will shoot good groups out to 100 yards, about 5-6", so all in all not a bad gun.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:07:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I think .30 caliber is bigger than .223 .  Just kidding, I know this rifle was only meant to be a short range personal defense weapon.  Either way, it sure would be a nice rifle to own.  I guess I'm just going a little crazy after seeing so many AR-15's that a good old fashioned wood stock is a sight for sore eyes .

-Justin
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think .30 caliber is bigger than .223 .  Just kidding, I know this rifle was only meant to be a short range personal defense weapon.  Either way, it sure would be a nice rifle to own.  I guess I'm just going a little crazy after seeing so many AR-15's that a good old fashioned wood stock is a sight for sore eyes .

-Justin

Yep the old guns have that going for them for sure,
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yep the old guns have that going for them for sure,

And the amazing thing is that it is about 5.5 lbs.  That's less than an AR-15.  I was wxpecting it to be much heavier.

-Justin
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone have any information as to it's reliability?

-Justin
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice looking rifle.  I wouldn't mind having one, but the MSRP price is a little steep, at $639.00
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a USGI one for $450 last year. I like it but I prefer shooting my AR's.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I bought a USGI one for $450 last year. I like it but I prefer shooting my AR's.

SS109,

What is the recoil like on that thing?  Reliability?  Ergonomics/Comfort?  Thanks.

-Justin
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SS109,

What is the recoil like on that thing?  Reliability?  Ergonomics/Comfort?  Thanks.

-Justin

bump.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a USGI M1 carbine and like an idiot I sold it (about 6 years ago).  Very handy rifle.  Light, feels good.  Recoil is very light.

Reliability was good IF you don't mount a scope.  Maybe there is a way around it, but from what I've seen any top-ejecting rifle (M1 carbine, SKS, etc) has trouble with a scope mount on top of the action.  Once in a while a shell will deflect back down into the action and jam.  I had numerous jams after putting the scope on.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm thinking of getting one for my son.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a USGI one. It will put 10 shots in 3" at 100 yards with iron sights and recoil is light. I have not had a problem with it. I love the feel of it and the balance.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I had a USGI M1 carbine and like an idiot I sold it (about 6 years ago).  Very handy rifle.  Light, feels good.  Recoil is very light.

Reliability was good IF you don't mount a scope.  Maybe there is a way around it, but from what I've seen any top-ejecting rifle (M1 carbine, SKS, etc) has trouble with a scope mount on top of the action.  Once in a while a shell will deflect back down into the action and jam.  I had numerous jams after putting the scope on.

SNorman,

If you don't mind my asking, where did you buy it from.  Who was the manufacturer?  About the scope problem, there must be a way around it because I have seen countless photos of M1 Garands with scopes mounted on top.  Maybe some other members with more knowledge can verify this.  Thanks.

Justin
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#18]
A cute little gun.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
A cute little gun.  

I don't think I have ever heard a rifle described as "cute."  If you call this cute then how would you describe a pink Cavalry Arms AR-15 .

-Justin
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

SS109,

-Justin

Recoil: light
ergonomics: It's a carbine
It's a comfortable rifle to shoot.

reliability: Owned several USGIs, ALL of them were reliable as all hell. Can't say aquat about the auto ordinance.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A cute little gun.  

I don't think I have ever heard a rifle described as "cute."  If you call this cute then how would you describe a pink Cavalry Arms AR-15 .

-Justin

Ghey.........unless a pretty girl is holding it.

I've always liked the .30 Carbine, with Remmington softpoints its quite effective out to 100 meters.

Get a folding paratrooper stock and you have a super handy weapon.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Given the price of ammo, I'd just as soon shoot 5.56mm.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A cute little gun.  

-Justin

my daughters rifle
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
A cute little gun.  

-Justin

Ghey....

I've always liked the .30 Carbine, with Remmington softpoints its quite effective out to 100 meters.

Where can I get the folding paratrooper stock?

-Justin
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:01:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
About the scope problem, there must be a way around it because I have seen countless photos of M1 Garands with scopes mounted on top.  Maybe some other members with more knowledge can verify this.  Thanks.

Justin

Garands had an off-set scope mount. Had to, to use the en bloc clip.

M1 Carbines are really fun little rifles. Light recoil, cheap mags, classic lines.

Ammo prices can be steep, though. Shop around to find good deals.

I've heard only good things about the IMI Carbines. Haven't heard much at all about the Auto-Ordnance.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:02:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SS109,

-Justin

reliability: Owned several USGIs, ALL of them were reliable as all hell. Can't say aquat about the auto ordinance.

+1 on the USGI's
never owned an auto ordinance
fungun, ammo not so cheap
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SS109,

-Justin

Since you are a bit skeptical abot the Auto-Ordnance model, can you tell me wher you got yours from?  Do they still manufacture them today?  How much were they when you bought them?  Thanks.

-Justin
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I wouldn't mind having one.  

+1

HH
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SS109,

-Justin

Almost no recoil, great gun to shoot, light gun to carry. The reliability with mine depends on the magazines. Get USGI if you can, some of the aftermarket 30's are crap.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Deleted: Double post.

Sorry,

Justin
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Where can I get the folding paratrooper stock?

-Justin

Their are reproductions of the WW2 GI paratrooper stock on the market, I'm looking......
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:03:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I like the .30 Carbine.  It does have that certain appeal to it.  I have an Iver Johnson that I picked up at a gunshow for $150.  Never a problem with it and fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:05:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Are the USGI models available from the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP)?  Thanks.

-Justin
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#34]
I have an Inland USGI M1, fun gun to shoot, light and surprisingly accurate.  USGI mags are the way to go also.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I have an Inland USGI M1, fun gun to shoot, light and surprisingly accurate.  USGI mags are the way to go also.

Thanks.

-Justin
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#36]
M1 Carbines are great little guns. It packs more punch than a .357 magnum handgun. At 100 yards they have more energy than .223/5.56, but falls off past that. Use JSP ammo instead of ball ammo and you have a reliable, light, easy to manuver, DEADLY close range weapon. 10's of thousands of Chinese, N. Koreans and N. Vietnamese died from these weapons.

USGI is the best, but are rapidly going up in price as their popularity increases. Auto Ordnance (KAHR) are generally reliable also and are built to GI spec but not with USGI parts.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SNorman,

If you don't mind my asking, where did you buy it from.  Who was the manufacturer?  About the scope problem, there must be a way around it because I have seen countless photos of M1 Garands with scopes mounted on top.  Maybe some other members with more knowledge can verify this.  Thanks.

Justin

I'm neither an armorer nor a 'smith, but would imagine some sort of "deflector shield" could assist in this...........

My $0.02,

Jake.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:07:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Call all the gunshops in your area and go to the gunshows. Someone will have a USGI one. I wouldn't get anything but USGI. I've heard about too many people having reliability problems. Never heard of a USGI with reliability issues, including my Inland. You should be able to get a decent shooter from 450 to 600. I personally wouldn't go any higher.

Try www.gunbroker.com as well.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks for the replies.  And about the high costs if ammo, doesn't Wolf make .30 caliber ammo?

-Justin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top