Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/13/2005 4:32:06 PM EDT
This is so true... You city slickers wouldn't understand.

Small Town People

Those of us who grew up in a small town will laugh when we read this. Those of you who didn't will be in disbelief... but trust me every one of these are true.

1) You can name everyone you graduated with.

2) You know what 4-H is

3) You went to parties at a pasture, barn, gravel pit, or in the middle of a dirt road. On Monday you could always tell who was at the party because of the scratches on their legs from running through the woods when the party was busted, see ..6.

4) You used to "drag" main.

5) You said the "F" word and your parents knew within the hour.

6) You scheduled parties around the schedule of different police officers, since you know which ones would bust you and which ones wouldn't.

7) You could never buy cigarettes because all the store clerks knew how old you were (and if you were old enough they'd tell your parents anyhow).

8) When you did find somebody old enough and brave enough to buy cigarettes, you still had to go out into the country and drive on back roads to smoke them.

9) You knew which section of the ditch to find the beer your buyer dropped off.

10) It was cool to date somebody from the neighboring town.

11) The whole school went to the same party after graduation

12) You don't give directions by street names or directions by references. Turn by Nelson's house, go 2 blocks east to Anderson's, and it's four houses left of the track field.

13) The golf course had only 9 holes.

14) You can't help but date a friend's ex-boyfriend/girlfriend.

15) Your car stays filthy because of the dirt roads and you will never own a dark vehicle for this reason.

16) The town next to you is considered "trashy" or "snooty", but , is actually just like your town.

17) You refer anyone with a house newer then 1980 as the "rich people"

18) The people in the "big city" dress funny then you pick up the trend 2 years later.

19) Anyone you want can be found at the local gas station or the town bar

20) You see at least one friend a week driving a tractor through town or one of your friends drives a grain truck to school occasionally.

21) The gym teacher suggest you haul hay for the summer to get stronger.

22) Directions are given using THE stop light as a reference

23) You decide to walk somewhere for exercise and 5 people pull over and ask you if you want a ride somewhere.

24) Your teachers call you by your older sibling's names.

25) Your teachers remember when they taught your parents.

26) You can charge at all the local stores or write checks without any ID.

27) The closest McDonalds is 45 miles away (or more).

28) The closest mall is over an hour away.

29) It is normal to see an old man riding through town on a riding lawn mower.

30) You've peed in a cornfield.

31) Most people go by a nickname.

32) You laugh your butt off reading this because you know it is all true and you forward it to everyone who lives in your town (because you know them all!)

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:33:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I would not want to live in a town like that
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree to most of it, 91 in my graduating class of the only county school
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I would not want to live like a post whore
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I grew up in a town just like that. I moved as soon as I got out of highschool.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would not want to live like a post whore

Hi, kettle
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#8]
yep, I miss the store credit thing....it was always a matter of pride to go back and pay your debt with out anyone asking you to or needing your social security # and references...I could even get gas and just wave at the attendant and drive away, she knew I'd be back on payday.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not too bad to grow up in, not horrible to retire in.

I agree though, not the best place to spend your entire life at all.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:46:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree with everything but the fashion. Nowdays, thanks to MTV and mail order, all the kids are dressing just like New Yorkers.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#11]
+1

Dead on.  A while ago I found a letter somebody wrote to my grandpa back in the day.  It was addressed to "Leonard Winkler, Tabor IA."  No address, route or highway number.  Damn stuff was simple in the country a generation or so ago.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:51:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds GREAT!

Where can I find this "small town" thing?

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I lived in that type of county. The entire county had a population of 8500 people when I graduated HS. My HS class had 26 seniors. That was the HS on our end of the county, the HS at the county seat had 50 something seniors.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I lived in a small town like that for several years. It was actually fun to observe it all as an outsider.

Everyone in town, or who went to the bar, got a nick name. A guy used to ride around town in his lawn tractor.

People in town new minutes later after a dramatic event went down at the bar. So and so was touching what's her face, etc.

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I lived in a small town like that for several years. It was actually fun to observe it all as an outsider.

Everyone in town, or who went to the bar, got a nick name. A guy used to ride around town in his lawn tractor.

People in town new minutes later after a dramatic event went down at the bar. So and so was touching what's her face, etc.

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  Oh and I'd add

33.  You don't go to H.S. reunions, because on any given Friday night you can see ALL your old classmates at the local tavern!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#17]
There's no place like home...
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#18]
hey you forgot to add,
.. the movie thats showing at the  local drive in was showing everywhere else the year before.
.. your parents found out you lost your virginity in a hay field, due to the gosip at the feed and seed.
.. you went to your GF house and ask her father if you could date his daughter before asking her.
.. shotguns or rifles can be seen in the gunracks of all the pickups in town.
.. your mother and father have been married for 40+yrs. and can't remember not knowing eachother
.. the barber shop has a pool room and dominoe parlor in back and all the oldmen go there every day.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ditto.

The only thing I saw that wasn't quite right is we weren't 2 years behind in trends, but rather more like 5 in "fashion" and WAY worse in everything else... like 20 years.

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:19:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I grew up in a small town like that. Dating really sucked, you would bring home a girl and your mom would tell you that she was your third cousin, (who knew?) and you couldn't date her.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:20:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:21:29 PM EDT
[#22]

You had a stop light?  You must have lived in one of those big towns that prettended to have the "small town feel".  
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#23]
#5 is true for me.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#25]
All of them are true for me....I currently live in a small town like that and I've been here for 12 years....Hiawassee, Georgia!!  I bet not many on this site knows where that is???
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:48:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I grew up in a town like that!  loved it and want to move back!  It's only about 30 miles from here.  had 36 people in my HS graduating class.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I agree to most of it, 91 in my graduating class of the only county school

You had 91 in your graduating class? I had 52, and there was only 270 students in the school!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Our entire school, K-12 had 320 students.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#29]
1) You can name everyone you graduated with.

Yes,

2) You know what 4-H is

Yes

3) You went to parties at a pasture, barn, gravel pit, or in the middle of a dirt road. On Monday you could always tell who was at the party because of the scratches on their legs from running through the woods when the party was busted, see ..6.

Many parties in barns, cabins, etc.
Many parties were just a bunch of 4X4's going to the mountains all night.

4) You used to "drag" main.

Yes

5) You said the "F" word and your parents knew within the hour.

Probably

6) You scheduled parties around the schedule of different police officers, since you know which ones would bust you and which ones wouldn't.

And the Cop's kids were never invited, cause they would rat us out.

7) You could never buy cigarettes because all the store clerks knew how old you were (and if you were old enough they'd tell your parents anyhow).

Didn't smoke.

8) When you did find somebody old enough and brave enough to buy cigarettes, you still had to go out into the country and drive on back roads to smoke them.

Didn't smoke

9) You knew which section of the ditch to find the beer your buyer dropped off.

True, unless it rolled down into the culvert

10) It was cool to date somebody from the neighboring town.

Mostly.   You could only find something new if it was in the neighboring town.
After a while you have dated everyone in your hometown.

11) The whole school went to the same party after graduation

We all camped out on the school lawn and drank a keg.

12) You don't give directions by street names or directions by references. Turn by Nelson's house, go 2 blocks east to Anderson's, and it's four houses left of the track field.

True

13) The golf course had only 9 holes.

True

14) You can't help but date a friend's ex-boyfriend/girlfriend.

True

15) Your car stays filthy because of the dirt roads and you will never own a dark vehicle for this reason.

True

16) The town next to you is considered "trashy" or "snooty", but , is actually just like your town.

True

17) You refer anyone with a house newer then 1980 as the "rich people"

Anyone who lives in a stick frame house is rich, anyone who's house arrived on wheels is poor.

18) The people in the "big city" dress funny then you pick up the trend 2 years later.

True

19) Anyone you want can be found at the local gas station or the town bar

True

20) You see at least one friend a week driving a tractor through town or one of your friends drives a grain truck to school occasionally.

True

21) The gym teacher suggest you haul hay for the summer to get stronger.

True

True, only one stoplight in town.

23) You decide to walk somewhere for exercise and 5 people pull over and ask you if you want a ride somewhere.

True

24) Your teachers call you by your older sibling's names.

True

25) Your teachers remember when they taught your parents.

True

26) You can charge at all the local stores or write checks without any ID.

True

27) The closest McDonalds is 45 miles away (or more).

30 miles for me

28) The closest mall is over an hour away.

Again, 30 miles for the shitty mall, 1 hour for the nice mall.

29) It is normal to see an old man riding through town on a riding lawn mower.

And getting DWI's on riding mowers.

30) You've peed in a cornfield.

Wheat fields and pea fields

31) Most people go by a nickname.

Some of us

32) You laugh your butt off reading this because you know it is all true and you forward it to everyone who lives in your town (because you know them all!)

Not yet, but most of this is all true.
I have lived in the same town as I was born in for my whole life.

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too and I can't wait to move back
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Try LUDLOW,CALIF

Quoted:
Sounds GREAT!

Where can I find this "small town" thing?

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:10:56 PM EDT
[#32]
I had 48 in my graduating class and k-12 went to the same school....and I graduated in 2001
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too and I can't wait to move back

I hope I never see the town I grew up in again.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#34]
grew up in a town like that, but by the time I graduated from HS, it was beginning to become a bedroom town for Boston.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:48:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You had a stop light?  You must have lived in one of those big towns that prettended to have the "small town feel".  

I was thinking the same thing.  We had two four way stops downtown, and that was it.

We had a couple of yield signs.. but most of the intersections you were lucky to get any sign at all...
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:52:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Most of that sounds like where I grew up.  We did have more than one stoplight, though.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#37]
The one thing that I don't miss about living in a small town is the gossip.

The one thing that I do miss is how fast news got around when someone needed something.   When something bad happened and someone needed support, there were always the good people that helped without being asked.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#38]
I grew up in a town exactly like that and I would not change one day of it. Hell, I would love to move back.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Opening Day Deer season.  Kiddos brought their rifles to school and dressed in their huntin clothes.  Or school was cancelled outright.  Western PA.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Opening Day Deer season.  Kiddos brought their rifles to school and dressed in their huntin clothes.  Or school was cancelled outright.  Western PA.

Our principal allowed us time off school on opening day shotgun season, and once allowed several of us out for 4 days to go and shoot at 'yotes that were sunning themselves on the runway of the local airstrip/port!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#41]
The small town closest to my parents house couldn't get a liquor license because a state ordnance said a town needed at least four stop signs to get one. So the next year when the next person was elected mayor, and got the budget(everyone took turns being mayor), they put four stop signs in the one intersection in town.  Now they can sell booze.
I couldn't wait to get out of small town Iowa, now I live in West Virginia, near a town with a little over 600 people.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#42]
23 people in my gradee-aetin' class. 'Cludin' me.

Every other house out on my side of town was some relation to me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
All of them are true for me....I currently live in a small town like that and I've been here for 12 years....Hiawassee, Georgia!!  I bet not many on this site knows where that is???

I do
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#44]
What I can't stand is the xenophobia that is just under the surface.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Never was  that small town but it brings to mind a few anecdotes.

I rented some shop space from a family friend on his ranch. You could short-cut a sharp turn through the orchard onto his driveway and I found out he slid a truck into the same tree I did when he was 16. His foreman used to change his diapers.

I decided to walk to work and finally decided it was much easier to accept a ride than explain once a minute that I wanted to walk.

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#46]
As much as I hate anti's, I could never live in a town like that and DO enjoy living in NYC. Though a getaway with a hill I can call a shooting range, somewhere in the not-too-distant future, would be very nice.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:39:16 PM EDT
[#47]
44 in grad class

and we didnt have any stoplights!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Guilty!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:42:34 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I grew up in a small town like that. Dating really sucked, you would bring home a girl and your mom would tell you that she was your third cousin, (who knew?) and you couldn't date her.

Or that your dad used to date her mom, and was therefore verboten...........

Or that "her mom was a slut in high school," but I'm repeating myself.......

P.S. If I hadn't gone back, our class would have graduated with only 68 people!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:10:08 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Isn't that on 76/17 Near Beech Cove Vista? FAIRLY close to the NC border? KINDA close to Chatuge Lake? But you have more than ONE traffic light.,.. right? (we just had the one...and probably wouldn't have, except we're right on Ste Rt. 4. (OH)).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top