Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2005 1:38:18 PM EDT
I am taking spanish 102 (to fill the requirement for my political science degree - it's either 2 semesters of a foreign language or statistics and data analysis). It's taught as if all the students were two year olds - no grammar lessons only constant exposure to the language. We just read newspaper articles and discuss current events (in espanol). In 101 (last semester) we were expected to use only Spanish in class after the first week.

A common assignment for this class is this:

We are instructed to find a native Spanish speaking person and interview them. The reason I am asking here is because I live in Helena, MT and I've already talked to all three of the native Spanish speakers in town, and the assignment is due tomorrow.

Would anyone mind if I took ten minutes of their time to ask a few stupid questions?

I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Lincoln
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:40:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I can't help you. I only had eight years of the stuff and got fairly fluent with it...but I'm not a native speaker.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#2]
my wife is a native speaker but she speaks castellano, a very different dialect. IM if interested
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:43:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks WG. If I don't get a response from the genuine article - would you mind if I got ahold of you?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:45:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Sure. It's been awhile, but I'm game.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#5]
You might give Zaphod an IM.

He hables, I believe.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Who is Zaphod,and where can I find one of his posts so I can click the little "IM USER" button?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well, I can't help you. I only had eight years of the stuff and got fairly fluent with it...but I'm not a native speaker.

OK, help me break the Spanish speakers conspiracy.

Even Ed Sr won't help me out on this one!

For over 40 years I've wanted to know what Ricky Ricardo was saying when he'd get pissed off at Lucy and start ranting and raving in Spanish!!

Crack the code for me so I won't die in ignorance!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:52:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For over 40 years I've wanted to know what Ricky Ricardo was saying when he'd get pissed off at Lucy and start ranting and raving in Spanish!!

"Lucy, you got some 'splainin to do!"
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:53:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Heheheh. I don't think I've seen more than 30 minutes of that show in my whole life, dude.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Who is Zaphod? Where can I find one of his posts so I can click the little "IM USER" button?

I sent him an IM for you and linked your thread.  He's not on at the moment.  He'll check with you.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Who is Zaphod? Where can I find one of his posts so I can click the little "IM USER" button?

I sent him an IM for you and linked your thread.  He's not on at the moment.  He'll check with you.

Thanks, O_P. I do appreciate the assistance.

-Lincoln
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cubans normally talk fast when in regular conversation.
Very, very hard to keep up.
When pissed off and in an argument, multiply that speed
by about 4, and that is what Ricky Ricardo ranted and raved.
Sorry pic, I've been living in Miami for 30 years, and I
STILL have problems keeping up.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Got it done.

Thanks to all who responded.

Especially ajm1911 - your wife was very nice and helpful.

-Lincoln
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, Bullshit! It's a Spanish speaking conspiracy!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:39:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

We're not THAT bad!

We're WORSE!

Hey, lincoln! I'm late coming to this party, but I got O_P's message and I'm standing by if you need any more help...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top