Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2005 12:59:06 PM EDT
this is weird, it seems like if i dont use Pert plus everyday i will get dandruff, pretty disgusting in my opinion.  My hair is alot longer now than before, could that cause it?

Any ways to get rid of it?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Isn't dandruff just skin flakes from your scalp?

I would imagine that something that keeps your scalp more moist would help.

Maybe dandruff is something completely different, in which case you should ignore me.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it can be a fungus type thing.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:12:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think it can be a fungus type thing.

AHHHHHHHH
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it is caused by dry skin...????
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:16:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never, ever had dandruff.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Googled it...

Here is the lowdown...

What is DANDRUFF?
- Dandruff is characterized by small, loose flakes of dead skin on the scalp or trapped in the hair.
- Dandruff is not dangerous, does not cause balding and is not contagious.
- Dandruff is a natural process and it can not be eliminated or cured.  Dandruff can only be managed and controlled.

Causes of DANDRUFF
- Dandruff may be caused by several different factors, but the exact underlying cause of dandruff is unknown or is at least not agreed upon by the medical establishment.
- One possible cause of dandruff may be sensitivity to, or overgrowth of, a fungus present on the scalp.
- Another possible cause may be overactive oil glands on the scalp which cause an increase of the natural skin shedding process.
- Another possible cause may be clogged oil glands on the scalp. These clogged pores can lead to over-drying and flaking of the skin.
- Poor diet, poor hygiene, genetic disposition, hormonal imbalances and infections may all possibly contribute to dandruff.
- Some external contributors to dandruff may include infrequent shampooing of the hair or inadequate hair rinsing, improper use of hair-coloring products, cold weather, dry environment and tight fitting hats.
- Dandruff may become worse with stress or if the patient is "run-down".

Symptoms of DANDRUFF
- Unsightly flakes or scales are typically present on the scalp and trapped in the hair.
- Whether or not these flakes are "oily" or "dry" may hint to the underlying cause of the dandruff.
- Dandruff rarely has any symptoms but itching of the scalp may occur.

Treatment and prevention of DANDRUFF
- Dandruff can disappear suddenly without treatment or may take multiple weeks of treatment to improve.
- Prevention of dandruff may be achieved by shampooing regularly with a mild, non-medicated shampoo. The scalp should be massaged gently to loosen flakes and the hair and scalp rinsed thoroughly
- Anti-dandruff shampoos containing coal tar, pyrithione zinc, salicylic acid or selenium sulfide are available without a prescription. (Specific products may be recommended by a physician or pharmacist.)
- Stronger anti-dandruff shampoos and lotions are also available by prescription.
- If the flaking skin is isolated in one area or in multiple areas, then the condition may be a skin problem other than dandruff and a physician should be notified.

rxinsider.com/dandruff.htm
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#7]
A lot of it is dry skin flaking from your scalp.  It turns into a vicious cycle, you start using even more shampoo and scrubbing your scalp more aggressively, which drys your scalp out more and causes more dead skin to flake from your scalp.

Use shampoo only every other day.  The other day, just wet your hair in the shower.  Use an aloe based gel if you can find it.

Women hate poor hygene in general and dandruff in particular.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#8]
very very tiny little gnomes, who crawl out from the inside of your pillow whilst you are asleep and go to work on your scalp with even tiny-er blow torches and roofing hammers.

i swear its true, thats what my doctor told me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:38:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
very very tiny little gnomes, who crawl out from the inside of your pillow whilst you are asleep and go to work on your scalp with even tiny-er blow torches and roofing hammers.

Are they related to the underpants gnomes that are constantly stealing my underwear?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
this is weird, it seems like if i dont use Pert plus everyday i will get dandruff, pretty disgusting in my opinion.  My hair is alot longer now than before, could that cause it?

Try using Nutrogena(sp?) T-Gel.  Massage into your scalp, let sit for 10 mins.  let sit for 10 mins be patient.  Use it daily, you'll be fine.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#11]
according to the book i have, underpants gnomes are a distant evolutionary cousin to the dandruff gnomes.
underpants gnomes tend to be slightly larger and more aggresive when cornered.

the closest currently living relative to the underpants gnome known to exisit today is the so called "coin slot gnome" who apparently go to construction sites and throws cold pocket change down exposed buttcraks while workers are bending over, often leading to fights between the human workers, who think their friends are screwing with them and than lying about it.
apparantly the "coin slot gnomes" place elaborate bets on the outcome of said fights, and this is their only form of economy.

edited because my spelling is atrocious.
do i need to document my sources?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#12]
What did he just say??
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#13]
AHAHAHAH
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#14]
AIDS.

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Do you just get it in the winter months?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#16]
First thing I would try is some essential fatty acid supplements like fish oil or flax seed oil capsules. Udo's Choice is a good brand of oil.

I haven't tried it for dandruff, but it does a good job on minor eczema.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Selsun blue kicks ass, one wash a week controlled it for me.
Nutrogena stuff with coal tar oil doesn't work that good, and smells like creosote. smells like you got hit in the head with a fishing pier.

haven't had any problems in a few years.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Try Lysine supliments and a humidifier
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I hate to say this to the entire internet community, but I have it.  Use Head and Shoulders,  EVERY TIME YOU SHAMPOO and you will be fine.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Use warm water in the shower, not hot water
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 3:10:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
First thing I would try is some essential fatty acid supplements like fish oil or flax seed oil capsules. Udo's Choice is a good brand of oil.

I haven't tried it for dandruff, but it does a good job on minor eczema.

What he said.

Dandruff is somehow caused by poorly functioning sebaceous glands. (Most likely, anyway). Although the causes of dandruff are inconclusive, there are treatments for existing dandruff and methods to help prevent recurrence.

I used to have it pretty bad when I was a little kid... but kinda "grew out of it"... (in my mid-teens) do NOT know what that was about... however the omega 3 deficiency is likely, IMO.

Some treatments work for some people while they do not for others. If you try a product and it doesn't work, you shouldn't get discouraged. Once you've given a product ample time to provide results, try something different. (IMO, "ample time" is 6 months w/suppliments, 3 months w/topical things (like shampoo) YMMV.)

There's a "disease called Sjogren's Disease, it affects the glands that secrete oil into the tear ducts. They've pretty much proven that this is an omega 3 deficiency disease, dandruff may be a symptom of the same type of disease. Only it's a different set of glands being affected.

ALMOST everything that they say, "we don't really KNOW what causes it, and we can SORTA "treat" it, but can't "cure" it"... it's an omega 3 deficiency problem.

Hey, 99% of "Western civilization" is deficient...makes sense.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

must be the same ones that crawl into my shorts and leave hash marks in the back after a night of hard drinking.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#23]
For me its mild psoriasis. Really sucks, the only thing that helps is Neutrogena T-gel daily.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#25]
You might also want to check and see if the shampoo you use contains sodium laurel sulfate. Some people have an allergy to this ingredient.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
It might be a tumor.

[Governor Schwarzenegger] It's not a tum[a]or. Not a tum[a]or.[Governor Schwarzenegger]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Pityrosporum ovale fungus
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Exessive skin cell growth is one source.  The tar shampoos and others work by retarding the growth of the cells.  It is cosmetic, so use it as a litmus test:  shallow people are bothered.

If you could enlarge that rainbow-doo, you'd see dandruff at the roots.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top