Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2005 10:18:09 AM EDT
During my time at the Pit here in Michigan yesterday I had a chance to observe some non-arf folks blowing up tannerite.

They had several small plastic jars of the stuff, which were purpose packaged for shooting fun (they came with shooting related orange labels).

When shooting only one of the jars was set off by shooting with an AK, zero with a glock pistol. The jars were hit but didn't explode.

The non-exploded ones were cleaned up and reset.

The socom 16 (M1A with 16" barrel) set off the tannerite 100% of the time that it hit a jar.

What was the difference? I didn't ask how much retail tannerite costs. How much does it cost?

Will a 5.56 set it off regularly?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:21:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:21:12 AM EDT
[#2]
All your questions answered here

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:50:28 PM EDT
[#3]
BTT
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:55:46 PM EDT
[#4]
YOU SET OFF TANNERITE AT THE PIT!!??

I've been told by several regulars that doing that there is a big no-no.

anyway, i never tried tannerite with a 762. i've always gotten a bang outta 223 though (55gr). maybe they screwed up the mixture? at any rate, for anybody attempting to set if off with a pistol obviously didn't pay much attention to the instructions.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:57:55 PM EDT
[#5]
get a case and watch the video.....tannerite has to have atleast a centerfire rifle round to explode ..no ballistic tip type of ammo will set it off...neither will any pistol ammo  ....soft points fmj and bthp's only....may be the reason it didnt go off..also you must wait 15 min after mixing for the chemical compounds to mix and for the chemical bond ....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top