Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2005 10:38:45 PM EDT
NEW YORK (CNN) -- Two former New York City police detectives face a federal court hearing in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Friday after being indicted on murder charges for allegedly acting as hit men for the Mafia more than 20 years ago.

According to the indictment from a federal grand jury in Brooklyn that was unsealed Thursday, Stephen Caracappa and Louis Eppolito routinely passed confidential law enforcement information to the mob and killed rival gangsters.

The indictment alleges that the men's association with organized crime began in the early 1980s, when they started passing along information to high-ranking members and associates of the Luchese crime family, disclosing the identities of numerous cooperating witnesses and compromising several state and federal investigations.

Caracappa was a member of the New York Police Department's Organized Crime Homicide Unit, which he helped found. In his duties, he filled the role of gatekeeper for information about Mafia killings,The Associated Press reported. (I wonder if the irony is intentional)

Roslynn Mauskopf, U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of New York, described the men's actions as "a stunning betrayal of their shields, their colleagues and the citizens they were sworn to protect.

"For years, they were on retainer with the mob, they were paid handsomely for participating directly and indirectly in the murders and attempted murders of 11 individuals."

Among the charges against Caracappa and Eppolito are eight murders, two attempted murders and murder conspiracy.

Both men were placed on the payroll of Luchese family underboss Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso in 1987 and received $4,000 a month for acting as moles, prosecutors allege. In 1992, Caracappa and Eppolito accepted a $65,000 contract to eliminate Eddie Lino, a Gambino family captain whom Casso believed was involved in an attempt on his life, the indictment says.

Prosecutors also accuse Caracappa and Eppolito of having a role in the murders of three other men Casso believed tried to kill him. The duo also is charged in other killings.

Eppolito is the author of a book titled "Mafia Cop." In the autobiography, he describes how he turned away from the "family business" to become what he described as one of the police department's most-decorated officers.

Eppolito has had small roles in several films, including the 1990 mob feature "GoodFellas" in which he played "Fat Andy."

According to federal investigators, the former detectives still have mob ties.

New York Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said, "this shocking, disgraceful conduct demands prosecution to the fullest extent of the law."

Caracappa and Eppolito are each charged with eight murders, two attempted murders, one murder conspiracy, obstruction of justice, drug distribution and money laundering, according to a written statement issued by the U.S. attorney's office, Kings County district attorney's office, Drug Enforcement Administration and FBI.

If convicted, they could face a maximum sentence of life in prison.

Caracappa and Eppolito were charged with drug distribution and money laundering in Las Vegas, where they were arrested Wednesday night. They retired to Las Vegas several years ago.

For more than 10 years, authorities had suspected the men of Mafia involvement but lacked evidence. According to court documents, prosecutors obtained witness testimony and wiretapped conversations to make their case, the AP reported.

The pair had a federal court appearance in Las Vegas on Thursday, the AP reported. They did not enter pleas, and the hearing was postponed until Friday, the AP said.

Caracappa's lawyer David Chesnoff, speaking Thursday outside the court, said the government was using "organized crime figures who are trying to save their lives" to build their case. "The government is relying on the words of rats," he said in an AP report.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:51:56 PM EDT
[#1]
It could be BS...
Innocent until proven Guilty right!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:54:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It could be BS...

The likelihood of BS in this case is very, very slim.  They watched these two for a long, long time before filing charges.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:10:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Wow.

Odd but for some reason, you were the first person I thought of here, when I read about this.

I wondered if you'd know anything interesting about the situation or not.

There was another slimeball mobster arrested here in my hometown in CT as well, the other day.  They really cleaned house this time.   Nabbed a bunch of em.

Of course, there's plenty of wannabes to take their places....... Nothing new there.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:12:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:43:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
nope don't know anthing, I'm just a small fish in a huge ocean...

Even teensy tiny, little bitty fishes gots ears  

I know what you're getting at tho.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:49:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Holy cow.

I guess a federal pound me in the ass prison is in their future.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:38:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Suddenly the remake of Assualt on precinct 13 is a lot less offensive.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:45:26 AM EDT
[#9]
seriously now...................this shouldn't suprise anyone..........it's happened before(surely you remember Frank Serpico)and it will happen again but in NO WAY reflects on the character of the vast majority of police in all walks of life who are honest and hard working like most of us..........................
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 3:16:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 3:19:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Holy cow.

I guess a federal pound me in the ass prison is in their future.

I doubt it, club fed.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 3:41:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'd have thought the pay would be better...

$65,000 to $100,000 a hit plus $4,000 a month for over 20 years. Thats a alot of money
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 3:53:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'd have thought the pay would be better...

Yeah, 4 grand a month is not very much.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:40:31 AM EDT
[#14]
That was very distressing to hear this story. I've seen the movie Serpico with Al Pacino. But I guess there is always one or two in every crowd.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:47:32 AM EDT
[#15]
What's the problem with a little side job?

JK!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:56:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Retire to Las Vegas....now there's a clue.

Retirement income  vs  cost of living in LV.

Sort of shouting it out,  " extra income ".
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:13:27 AM EDT
[#17]
How many guys do you have on the NYPD now? Didn't they merge the apartment police and the train police with you guys?

My wife watches some aminal police show and it looks like the pet police are also NYPD.

Quoted:
nope don't know anything, I'm just a small fish in a huge ocean...

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:02:31 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
What's the problem with a little side job?

JK!

A man has to do what a man has to do.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:03:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
It could be BS...

But if proven guilty.....cut their balls off.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:05:06 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Suddenly the remake of Assualt on precinct 13 is a lot less offensive.  

<pondering>
Nope. Still offensive.

John Carpenter should give it up and move to a new line of work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top