Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2005 10:14:49 PM EDT
i was arguign with some typical liberal u find here in nyc, and they were commenting on some bullshit in the news, so i informed them how you never hear about the ~5,700 times a day a firearm is used to save life or limb and of course they have to go okay well how many times a day is it used to hurt someone, prolly way more than 5,700 and i had no answer because i dont know and didnt want to make one up... so i was just wondering if anyone had a statistic on that per day in the US.

grrr im still pissed cuz they just insult me with thier ignorance.  they had the balls to call me arrogant for feeling confident that i could defend myself with a firearm if i had to. they kept saying how i dont know what im doing and i would probably just freeze and have it used against me instead, and how a cop (nypd lol) is so much better trained and they trust them so much more than me and blah blah..... meanwhile i am the model gun owner, citizen, ect.... ahhh its a lost cause sometimes i think
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:17:51 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
i was arguign with some typical liberal u find here in nyc, and they were commenting on some bullshit in the news, so i informed them how you never hear about the ~5,700 times a day a firearm is used to save life or limb and of course they have to go okay well how many times a day is it used to hurt someone, prolly way more than 5,700 and i had no answer because i dont know and didnt want to make one up... so i was just wondering if anyone had a statistic on that per day in the US.

grrr im still pissed cuz they just insult me with thier ignorance.  they had the balls to call me arrogant for feeling confident that i could defend myself with a firearm if i had to. they kept saying how i dont know what im doing and i would probably just freeze and have it used against me instead, and how a cop (nypd lol) is so much better trained and they trust them so much more than me and blah blah..... meanwhile i am the model gun owner, citizen, ect.... ahhh its a lost cause sometimes i think

It is. Don't waste your time on people like that. They won't change their mind or thinking.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Nah, talking won't help. As the saying goes, liberals are conservatives who haven't been mugged yet (which is true, often times - those other times, well, they ask the perp if they're gonna get shot and generally get packed up in a white bag on their way out).
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#3]
yea i give up cuz it just makes me mad, they are my good friends too so i take the insults very much to heart because they know me.

anyway, any answer on the statistic?? even though id have to think about bringing up the whole argument again with them... i guess it would be a total gun crime per year divide by 365 right?i dunno... i found some statistic for gun deaths (including all sucidie/homicide/accident) but what about just injuries or uses? is there any way to find that?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:02:41 AM EDT
[#4]
any numbers guys?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:08:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Call em bitches!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:13:36 AM EDT
[#6]
A common figure is 2 million defensive uses a year, with the vast majority of those uses not involving the gun firing, merely being brandished or even just displayed.  2 million / 365 days = 5479.45 per day
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:18:19 AM EDT
[#7]
pussys are scred of guns shoot them and be happy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:24:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Overall Firearm Gunshot Nonfatal Injuries 2003  65,834 (180.36/day)
2001   63,012
2002 58,841
2003 65,834

This includes All intents:
Unintentional      
Violence-Related
   (Includes assault-all, legal intervention, and self-harm)
      Assault - All
              Assault - Other
              Assault - Sexual
      Legal Intervention
      Assault and Legal Intervention
         (Includes assault-all and legal intervention)
      Self-Harm

My source is  National Center for Injury Prevention and Control  WISQARS Nonfatal Injury Reports

There are approximately two million defensive gun uses (DGU's) per year by law abiding citizens. That was one of the findings in a national survey conducted by Gary Kleck, a Florida State University criminologist in 1993. Prior to Dr. Kleck's survey, thirteen other surveys indicated a range of between 800,000 to 2.5 million DGU's annually.

How often are guns used in self defense?

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:38:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A common figure is 2 million defensive uses a year, with the vast majority of those uses not involving the gun firing, merely being brandished or even just displayed.  2 million / 365 days = 5479.45 per day

The antis like to report only deaths, which of course skews the whole argument in their favor.

In self defense, only one time in 40 is a gun fired, and only a small percentage of those result in a death. This from the same FBI study the antis like to distort.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The antis like to report only deaths, which of course skews the whole argument in their favor.

In self dense, only one time in 40 is a gun fired, and only a small percentage of those result in a death. This from the same FBI study the antis like to distort.

which study is that? I'd like it for future reference.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top