Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2005 9:17:16 PM EDT
I've had some problems with my burned DVD images containing the partial pixelation and/or audio/video discontinuity.  I'm thinking this is due to the original DVDs being dirty or damaged since I've seen the same problems in the past with dirty/damaged originals during playback.

Any suggestions for cleaning?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I just use a soft dry cloth.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:46:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been using old socks but they don't always do the trick.......unless the discs in question are damaged rather than dirty.

Is there a worthwhile cleaning product or system that anyone's had experience with?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:57:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
First, HANDLE YOUR DISCS PROPERLY and they won't ever get scratched.

Agreed, but these particular discs were mistreated by someone else before I got to them.  We won't discuss why I am ripping them.

Otherwise, to clean them, use warm water and mild (or very little) dishsoap.  With your CLEAN hands, rub in straight lines from the center outwards like the spokes of a wheel.  NEVER rub or wipe in a circle like you would a vinyl record, as this would cause any scratches you make during cleaning more likely to cause tracking errors.  Dry with something soft, cotton, and lint-free, such as a clean, unprinted T-shirt.  Again, wipe from the center outwards.

Yes, I've always wiped them in the radial direction.  I'll try the soap/warm water deal.

Finally, if you are ripping discs and having to recompress (i.e., render) them to fit on the DVD-R, then you should expect to have some visible artifacts.

-Troy

I've had pixelation with images I didn't need to compress.  I've also had heavily compressed images that came out flawless.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:31:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey guys....just a thought here.  It may not be dirty discs.  What I have found is that to fit all of the data onto our blank DVD's, your DVD writing software has to compress the data.  Then you go and try to play it and the compression is too high and the processors in the DVD can't process all of the data and you get pixelation or it freezes.  

Xcopy is bad IMO cause it uses a standard rate of compression, which is pretty high so that the largest of movies will fit on a blank DVD.  Instead I used a free program called DVD Shrink along with Nero.  If you have any CP issues, just use DVD Decryptor (another free program) and it will fix those problems.

Sorry if I made this hard to understand...I am no teacher but thought I might help since I went down this road.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#7]
DVD Shrink along with Nero

Same here and it works perfect everytime.What reallt wild is the DVD Shrink fits on a floppy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#8]
He cant handle his dics with care if they come from Blockbuster.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hey guys....just a thought here.  It may not be dirty discs.  What I have found is that to fit all of the data onto our blank DVD's, your DVD writing software has to compress the data.  Then you go and try to play it and the compression is too high and the processors in the DVD can't process all of the data and you get pixelation or it freezes.  

Xcopy is bad IMO cause it uses a standard rate of compression, which is pretty high so that the largest of movies will fit on a blank DVD.  Instead I used a free program called DVD Shrink along with Nero.  If you have any CP issues, just use DVD Decryptor (another free program) and it will fix those problems.

Sorry if I made this hard to understand...I am no teacher but thought I might help since I went down this road.

Read my last post, the goofs are not due to compression.

I currently use Decryptor to rip, Shrink to encode, and Nero to burn.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:04:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
He cant handle his dics with care if they come from Blockbuster.

Shhhhh.........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top