Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2005 3:05:27 PM EDT
Just got it.  So, how do I log off so the kids can't get on?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The wife and I just got V-DSL the week before last.  I asked the guy at the help desk the same question and his reply was "well why would you want to turn it off?"  I just asked him the same question again and he stated that its an "always on connection", which is why there is no log on icon that gets placed on your computer after you install their software.  

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#2]
While I'd take a more technical approach myself (like proxy user authentication, and the like) I'm guessing that this isn't going to work for you. Here's a nifty (and free) idea:

Unplug the DSL modem and lock it in the safe with the rest of your guns when you're not around. Simple and effective.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Your DSL modem has a login function where you can disable and re-enable the connection at will.  

Easier solution:

Create different user IDs for everyone in the family.  Then, with the grown-up ID disable the connection.  Then your kid shouldn't be able to get on the internet b/c that connection is kaput until you re-connect.

shooter
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#4]

You could always install Zone Alarm (which you should do with an 'always on' connection)

/plus it's free

there is a STOP button, it blocks all traffic in or out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top