Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2005 2:50:55 PM EDT
I saw him in concert about 8 years or so ago.  I never liked country music before going to his concert...........matter of fact, had to almost be dragged there.

But he walked out on the stage (on time, if you can believe that!!), said hello to the crowd and just started playin' some of the nicest sounding music I've ever heard.  Dude comes out in a flannel shirt and just starts pickin' on that guitar.  The guy can not only sing, but can really play the guitar as well.

I've kinda lost track of his new music, but have his "Souveners" greatest hits, which are his hits from the early 90's.  If you haven't listened to his music before, give it a try.  

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:32:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Vince is very underrated. He's a great guitarist and songwriter. He's a great example of what many of today's newer artists cannot do: write their own material and perform it with mastery. That's why I loathe American Idol-type shows: those "performers" can't reach an audience in a way that would get me to ever listen to them.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes some of his songs are very moving, for the most part I don't like country. I have a famous country singer for a neighbor. Thank God for fences.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I do.  A true triple threat.  Singer, songwriter and guitarist.  Not many can do it all.  I heard that Mark Knopfler wanted him to join Dire Straits way back but he didn't want to.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, way under-rated.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#5]
very under-rated.  Listen to "Go Rest High on that Moutain" or "Whenever You Come Around"  Two of my favs.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:50:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Vince is one of the best guitar players in Nashville. And, to be honest, Nashville currently is the place to find most of the best guitar players on the planet.

I make lots of fun of bluegrass and country, but those folks know how to play some mean guitar. If only they would use their powers for good....
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#7]

I prefer Vince's work with Pure Prarie League.
I guess I am gettin' old.
DaddyDett
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:57:29 PM EDT
[#8]
My Step-Dad goes to all his shows when he travels to GA.  He also thinks Vince is the best Guitarist around even better than SRV.  My Step-Brother and I just laugh are asses off, Vince may be a good picker but he isn't even in the same building as SRV.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My Step-Dad goes to all his shows when he travels to GA.  He also thinks Vince is the best Guitarist around even better than SRV.  My Step-Brother and I just laugh are asses off, Vince may be a good picker but he isn't even in the same building as SRV.

Vince and SRV are different animals. Vince, in his own right, is an excellent guitarist. I am not the biggest fan of his genre, but he is a heck of a lot better than just about any of the guys playing that tuned down sub-7 string uber-distortion crap....
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:03:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I saw Vince Gill, when he was a nobody (Well not quite)...He opened up for Reba McEntire...He put on a better show than her!

Sean
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:09:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vince and SRV are different animals. Vince, in his own right, is an excellent guitarist. I am not the biggest fan of his genre, but he is a heck of a lot better than just about any of the guys playing that tuned down sub-7 string uber-distortion crap....

Very true, Vince can play and unfortunately today, talent and musicianship are aren't requirements to be "musician's".
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:10:02 PM EDT
[#12]
He is a good guitarist and a good singer.  Too bad he's a worthless piece of shit as a human being.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
He is a good guitarist and a good singer.  Too bad he's a worthless piece of shit as a human being.

Really?  why?  Just interested.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  why?  Just interested.

I'd say that screwing around with a woman who is married with children and contributing to the breakup of their marriage qualifies him as a worthless piece of shit.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't care for his singing. Kind of Sissy songs. Prefer pure country
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'd say that screwing around with a woman who is married with children and contributing to the breakup of their marriage qualifies him as a worthless piece of shit.  YMMV.

It takes 2 to tango.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It takes 2 to tango.

True, and I have the exact same opinion of Amy Grant.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It takes 2 to tango.

Amy Grant's ex was snorting coke like Scarface.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#19]
And he sang "Pocket Full of Gold".  It's a cheating song.  So go figure.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:02:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It takes 2 to tango.

From what I was able to research, Gary Chapman's drug use ended in 1986, so I don't see its relevance.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:07:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I do.  A true triple threat.  Singer, songwriter and guitarist.  Not many can do it all.  I heard that Mark Knopfler wanted him to join Dire Straits way back but he didn't want to.

yeah, he's a real musician

one of these newly popular country dudes is supposidly a pretty bad ass guitarist too, brad paisly I think?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It takes 2 to tango.

From what I was able to research, Gary Chapman's drug use ended in 1986, so I don't see its relevance.

He was back on it at the end of his marriage with Amy, his show on IIRC TNN was yanked at the time too and you could see it in his face that he was on something in his last shows.

I have a family friend who was a backup singer in the Country Biz, and what she heard out of Nashville is he was on Cocaine/Crack.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Yep, way under-rated.

He is a great musician.

He may be underrated with the general public but he has something like 15 Grammys.

Gill and Ricky Skaggs are 2 of my favorites.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:54:22 PM EDT
[#24]
He's got a good voice, but he's got to lose some weight.  Saw a pic of him recently, and he's heavier than I am.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:17:12 PM EDT
[#25]
UMMMM.... Let me think, NO!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I worked at a Cadillac dealership in Brentwood Tennessee back in the 1990's. One day a 1976 Coupe Deville pulls up and this guy stands beside his car forever waiting for service, as we are all busy at the time. Finally, I get free and go over to take his order. Standard procedure is to access service records using the VIN number, problem is, this vehicle has never been in for service before. I have to go back over and ask the man his name, address, phone number, ect. He looks at me kind of strange when I ask his name, Vince Gill, that does'nt ring any bells with me. I'm back at my terminal typing in all of his information when a couple of women come out of the showroom and spot him. They hurry over to eeww and aaah with him and he gives them a autograph picture. Knowing my mom is a fan of country music I ask for one to (with my moms name of course).
As a side note: Mr Gill was approached by the CEO of our company about driving one of "our" cars at a ridiculously low price. He counter-offered with "I'll drive one if you give it to me". He ended up driving his 76 Coupe home.

I met several "celebrities" on that job but without a doubt the most humble was George Jones.
The hardest folks to get along with were the "wantabe's" and the song writers.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:11:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Vince was married  for 17 years, at the time, as well as Amy Grant.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 3:01:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Who?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top