Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2005 1:23:47 PM EDT
I know we have some serious runners on the boards here...
So what do the two terms mean?

I am under the impression that running is faster than jogging, but I cant say what kind of numbers we are talking about for each.

I typically run a 26 minute 5k - is that running or jogging?
When I train every other day, I average just under a 10 minute mile - and go anywhere from 3 - 10 miles, depending on the day....again..running or jogging?

Best mile time was 6:26, which I ran at 33 years old (prob could have run faster when I was a kid, but was never into running back then).....I assume a 6 minute mile can be safely referred to as running.

You guys tell me..I always wondered about this.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:31:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I would base it on heart rate.

Jogging would be less than 70% of max.

Running would be over that.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#3]
depends on your size/ stride... i was warming up on a track the other day with a short friend ( I am 6'4) and I was walking rather fast, my friend was joggin to keep up, its all in the stride
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#4]
The differance between a runner and a jogger.

A Jogger is some who says "I am going to get into to shape". So they go out and buy some metro sexual outfits and guy a place with alot of people and goes thru an act of running while drink over priced bottle water. Then they quite the routine with in 3 weekes.

A runner is some one who like to put one foot in front of another in a faster interval than walking. They often run anywhere for 12 to 40 miles in a week and have been for many years. UNlike Joggers they run in any weather, Hot cold sunny or rainy.

I dont think there is much of differance in the movement between running and jogging. Runners dont go full speed all the time. Some people think jogging is in between walking and running. Its moe of a state of mind.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Airborne shuffle is the best I can do
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I wander.

I rarely find the pressing need to go any faster.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#7]
8 minute miles are jogging

5-6 minute miles are running.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Jogging = You have too much time on your hands and not enough useful things to do.

Running = Someone or something is chasing you and our ass is on the line.

ANdy
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:01:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Jarhead22 nailed it.  And in a most amusing manner.

Used to run.  Now my knee would rather I do a lot of walking.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I actually took a class in college called "areobics", which back then was the same as jogging now.  We were taught that running was 8 min/mile or faster while jogging was anything slower.  Walking was never technically described.

I can still do a 10 min/mile for 2 miles but knee injuries make it mighty sore to go further or faster.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

So my friend that runs marathons at just around 8 minute miles is a jogger?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:56:07 PM EDT
[#12]
semantics.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:21:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Jogging = You have too much time on your hands and not enough useful things to do.

ANdy

My thoughts exactly
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just curious, Dutch: Have you taken it upon yourself to assume the mantle of Official AR15.Com Contrarian, or is this something about which EdSr and GB have been in contact with you? If the latter, is there some kind of official Contrarian hat, or maybe a sash?

Sorry  

I'm honestly not trying to be annoying, but I guess I can be too anal without realizing it.
But if there is such a thing as a Contrarian Hat, I totally want one!!!  
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey, I just RAN two miles yesterday in 18:50.

I'll be darned if I was jogging. (Nothin like FATBOY PT)

I wish I had you times Marco.

Good job on the 6:26.
No it's not a world record but, it's light years ahead of most.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#17]
jogging= fun
running=serious
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

OR I'm chasing someone else and their ass just did something bad.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:45:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 3:02:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Jogging is what you do before beakfast.

Running is what you do after your weapon runs dry.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:54:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Macro,

For runners, running becomes natural each day much like eating and sleeping. Runners enjoy the challenges that each run can bring. Yesterday for my long run, the roads were icy, the sidewalks had snow on them and the temps were cool (-8 wind chill). In other words, conditions are improving around here.  

Joggers are typically in it for fitness reasons, which is great. Sometimes, with this being their main reason for heading out the door, they don't have long careers or tend to fall into multiple long layoffs as results may be slower in showing up than they had expected and motivation drops.    

One thing is for certain, there is nothing that makes being a runner right, and being a jogger wrong. Each person defines for themselves which category they fit into.

I'd probably modify -Absolut-'s categorization this way:

Jogging = Work
Running = Serious about fun

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:37:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
jogging= fun
running=serious

+1
I read once that anything faster than a 10 minute mile should
be considered running, and anything slower than a 15 minute mile
should be considered walking. Jogging would be something in between.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

ANdy

That's about how I view it.  You "Jog" to get in shape.  You "Run" either when being chased or chasing something/someone.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:30:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:43:24 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A great point DK-Prof. 8 minute pace breaks out to a sub 3:30 marathon. No one I know that runs or jogs considers a sub 3:30 jogging. The reason is that a jogger usually does not have the dedication to train enough to string 26.2 - 8 minute miles together.  In fact, I have not met too many joggers at the starting line of a marathon.

In books by Jeff Galloway (Galloway's Book on Running), Pete Pfitzinger & Scott Douglas (Road Racing for Serious Runners and Advanced Marathoning), Michael Yessis (Explosive Running), and articles by Frank Shorter, Bill Rodgers, etc.., the difference has never been reduced to pace.   The difference, as Sixgun357 stated, is a state of mind, or dedication to the sport.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top