Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2001 1:38:22 PM EDT
What are the width of the slots on the Smith Enterprises Vortex? I bought a vortex from Bushmaster, they said it was genuine. It came in Quality Parts packageing, and didn't look quite right. I called Smith Enterprises, talked with the guy who machines them, he said the slot is .250" wide. The vortex I got from Bushmaster has slots .235" wide. Do any of you have the genuine article? If you do would you measure the slots and post findings here. Thanks in advance, beemvic.
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The knockoff I got was also with Bushmaster instructions. See if you can get the support ring of a bayonet over it. If it doesn't fit then it isn't the real thing. Another thing is to look at the tines head on. There should be a pronounced angle or twist to them, not a straight up and down 90degrees unless it is a first gen vortex which I doubt. I will see if I can get my friend to take pics of the real vortex he has compared to the fake I have.
Link Posted: 2/15/2001 3:13:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Any other ways of telling whether it's a knock-off?

I don't have a bayonet or an accurate measuring device.

Do all say: "Smith Ent." on it?

My Vortex definitely has a twist to it.

Maybe mine is a pre-production model and they forgot to stamp it?

I don't like knock-off's and I'll toss it in the ocean with the rest of the stuff I used to have if I find out it's a knock-off.

Not that any of my other stuff were knock-off's or anything, it's just that I was sinking in a boat and I had to dump excess weight overboard.

Damm paid $34.99 for the Vortex and it better  not be a fake!!!![:(!]
Link Posted: 2/15/2001 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an early style vortex which the tines are straight on it, no other markings. I was told that they finally made them curved to keep the flash hider from coming loose during firing.
Link Posted: 2/16/2001 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#4]
XM15E2, did you buy your vortex from Smith Ent.?
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 12:08:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey Imbro,

You use that Vortex on your 10/22 or your .38??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top