Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/12/2005 11:58:04 AM EDT
BROOKFIELD, Wis. - At least eight people, including the suspected gunman, were killed in a shooting at a hotel in Brookfield, Wisconsin Saturday afternoon, police said.

Four of the victims died at the scene of the shooting, and three others succumbed to gunshot injuries at a nearby hospital, Brookfield Police Chief Daniel Tushaus said at a 5:10 p.m. CT news conference.

The gunman, described as a 45-year-old male, died of an apparent self-inflicted wound, Tushaus said.

The incident took place during a regularly scheduled church function at the Sheraton Hotel, Tushaus said. Seven to eight people, ranging from 10 to 60 years old, were taken to hospitals in serious condition, he said. Three later died and four remained in "serious" condition, Tushaus said.

"There is nobody else being sought at this time as a suspect," Tushaus said.

Hotel guests in lockdown
Some guests remained locked in their rooms after police surrounded the building and would not allow anyone to enter or leave.

Karen Suick, 48, said she arrived at the hotel Friday night with 15 players and parents for a hockey tournament.

"One of our hockey dad's two daughters are still in there," she said. "They called his cell phone. They were OK, but they were told to go back to their room. So that's what they did."

At least two church groups were holding meetings in the hotel at the time of the shootings, police said.

Brookfield is a western suburb of Milwaukee.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

---------------------
cnn

CNN) -- A gunman shot and killed four people at a church meeting in a hotel near Milwaukee, Wisconsin, on Saturday afternoon before shooting himself, Brookfield police Chief Daniel Tushaus said.

Seven or eight people were injured and taken to hospitals in serious condition. Information on their injuries was not immediately available. They ranged in age from their teens to their 60s, Tushaus told reporters.

He said he couldn't yet name the church.

Tushaus said police responded to a call from the Sheraton Hotel at 12:51 p.m. (1:51 p.m. ET).

"We quickly determined that a multiple shooting had occurred, and the suspect involved apparently died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound," the chief said. "There are no other suspects being sought at this time.

"The suspect is the person we believe is responsible for the shooting incident."

He said the meeting appeared to be a regularly scheduled church function at the hotel.

Brookfield is a community of 6,420 people about 15 miles west of Milwaukee.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#1]

Why don't people fucking hang themselves anymore?

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#2]
holy shit

this seems to be the time of year for killing sprees

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#3]
YEEEHAAAA!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually, it makes sense... that people go "nuts" more THIS time of year than others. Sad, not surprised though
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:02:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Amen!

GEEZ!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1000

Seems like there's a lot of shooting going on, BUT are we sure this isn't just shit the news is reporting, maybe because of the AWB sunset?  Maybe another reason?  Nothing else really going on?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:04:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Actually, it makes sense... that people go "nuts" more THIS time of year than others. Sad, not surprised though

Why this time of year?

Tax time?
End of winter and cabin fever?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:05:11 PM EDT
[#8]
This is starting to look bad for us in a knee jerk reaction kind of way.
Pray for the innocent.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why this time of year?

Tax time?

Don't know, but suicides increase slightly during spring and fall for some reason.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:09:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Tax time.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:14:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:16:06 PM EDT
[#12]
The problem is the media makes such a big deal out of one shooting and it gives all the other idiots the same idea.....BTW The holidays are always the highest rates of suicide.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#13]
TAG
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Fuck
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#15]
+1 Tag
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't give a shit how 'insensitive' the truth may sound here....but some lame-brain politician is going to use this as an excuse to get another AWB up for vote.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn!

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Holy Fuck! What is with these killers? Do they have no conscious?

They have fucked up the lives of thousands of people today.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:23:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The problem is the media makes such a big deal out of one shooting and it gives all the other idiots the same idea.....BTW The holidays are always the highest rates of suicide.  

Or they take the ones that are done with a firearm that has "assault rifle traits". There are a lot of shootings that go on, but you only hear about the ones that can be sensationalized easily.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:25:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why this time of year?

Tax time? End of winter and cabin fever?

Both.  But the cabin fever induced by winter is the main cause of winter time suicides.

As for as the recent shooting spree's.  It's a mental thing.  Once one does it the others with loose screws do it too.

You see it with kidnappings, suicides, serial killers, etc.     It's the down side of living with the masses of today's world..  

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Is there a full moon out?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:26:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Holy Fuck! What is with these killers? Do they have no concious?

What is this concious your speak of?  
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or they take the ones that are done with a firearm that has "assault rifle traits". There are a lot of shootings that go on, but you only hear about the ones that can be sensationalized easily.

+1000000
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#24]
That's it, I'm switching over to the other side. Time for all guns to go.
After the Vikings win the Super Bowl...But don't hold me to it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Christ's sakes.    The looneys are out in full force lately.

Think I'll just lock myself in the house till may or so........
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I edited it! I would not allow this to be on my conscious! I just can not imagine how anyone could live with doing what these sick fucks have done!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#27]
I see you have edited it yet again.......now what does you conscious feel????
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

This isn't necessarily true at all.  Most of this is just misconception or rumor.

www.afsp.org/research/articles/davidson.html

www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/suicide.asp

EDIT: www.afsp.org/education/holidaypr.htm

Media Perpetuate Myth that Suicides Increase During Holiday Season –
Facts Indicate Otherwise

Annenberg Public Policy Center Begins Year-Long Study on Media Coverage of Suicide

An analysis of newspaper coverage of suicide during the winter holidays found that two out of three stories (66 percent) incorrectly link suicides to the holidays or posit a direct relationship between the holidays and suicides, according to new analysis by the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania.

The research is the first from a new Robert Wood Johnson Foundation grant to the Annenberg Public Policy Center to examine the connection between the media and suicide. The new analysis was co-released with the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.

In the most recent year for which data were available (1996), November and December ranked the lowest in daily rates of suicide, according to data from the National Center for Health Statistics. Other studies have found that Thanksgiving and Christmas have unusually low suicide rates. Still, only 13 percent of the stories examined in the Annenberg study clearly attempted to debunk the association between the holidays and suicide.

"Journalists should not perpetuate the myth that suicides increase during the winter holidays," said Kathleen Hall Jamieson, Director of the Annenberg Public Policy Center and Dean of the Annenberg School for Communication. "Although the print stories in our study link such holidays as Christmas with suicides, reporters who contact research experts in the field will find that it is just not true."

Annenberg researchers examined print stories from November 8, 1999 through January 15, 2000 and found:

Over half (55 percent) of the stories linking suicides to the holidays attributed the association to the ‘holiday blues.’
One in five (21 percent) linked suicides to ‘disappointment at holiday time.’
Despite the fact that most people who commit suicide are classified as mentally ill, only one in four stories (25 percent) identified depression or other chronic mental-health conditions as the most common underlying cause of suicide.
While most stories reinforced the myth that suicides increase during the winter holiday season, only one-third (34 percent) of the stories offered accurate advice for the prevention of suicide.
One in ten stories correctly reported the fact that there is not an increase in suicides during the holidays while at the same time focused the story on a possible association.
Stories that incorrectly emphasized a link between the holidays and suicides overwhelmingly relied on sources unfamiliar with suicide epidemiology (hotline managers, social workers and police officers). Of the stories that attempted to debunk the myth that the holiday season leads to more suicides, 89 percent relied on sources knowledgeable about suicide epidemiology, such as officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) or the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.
"Suicide does not peak during the winter holidays. Rather than perpetuate this myth, the media ought to turn their attention to the factors that do contribute to suicide," said Dr. Herbert Hendin, Medical Director of the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.

According to the CDC, suicide accounts for between .4 and .9% of the deaths in the U.S. In the population at large, it is the eighth leading cause of death; among adolescents the third leading cause. In 1998, the last year for which data are available, 30,551 Americans took their own lives. There were 1.5 times as many suicides as homicides in that year.

The study includes all articles in Lexis-Nexis from the period of 11/8/99 through 1/15/00 that report an apparent association between suicide and the end-of-year holidays. Sixty-seven stories were found and analyzed by researchers. The full report can be found on the Annenberg Public Policy website, www.appcpenn.org.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#29]
very surprising, thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, I sure as FUCK am not giving up my firearms if the police aren't going to prevent this sort of thing before the lunatics can act.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:40:42 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
very surprising, thanks for the info.

No problem.  It is interesting that is declines in December.  That I didn't know either.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Fuck

Exactly...for several reasons.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#33]
No big deal as far as new gun laws go ... we've got Republicans in power ... no anti-gun laws will be passed.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:02:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
No big deal as far as new gun laws go ... we've got Republicans in power ... no anti-gun laws will be passed.

I'm still worried about those killed and wounded.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm still worried about those killed and wounded.

155,000 every day
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#37]
I live in Milwaukee and here is an update.  Thirteen people shot and at least 6 to 8 are dead.  Happened at a church meeting at the Sheraton located at I-94 and Moorland in Brookfield,WI.  It would be safe to assume that this guy used something with a hi-cap mag due to the amount of shots fired.  The gunman is dead, suicide is what they are saying.  I will keep updating if I can.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why this time of year?

Tax time?

That might account for a BIT ;)

Well, most, if not ALL "mental disorders" or diseases, are pretty much UNIVERSALLY improved with an addition of relatively "high" levels of omega 3 fatty acids, schizophrenia, bi-polar, clinical depression, ADD, ADHD, (poor impulse control etc).

My theory is that they are all CAUSED by a critical DEFICIENCY of omega 3's. Hence replacing them corrects the symptoms.

I KNOW that all of the Autoimmune disorders ARE caused by a critical deficiency, or since they are largely CORRECTED by the addition... QED.

Almost all people w/an auto-immune disease TEND to (at least at first) have a problem during the spring (most often) and occasionally the fall. The docs attribute this to "climate change" which is partly accurate. Mostly, I've found it to be allergies, allergies activate the immune system, activation of the immune system uses up larger quantities of omega 3's... or a rapid depletion...

One of the FIRST "signs" of an omega 3 deficiency is the development OF allergies. Then it gets worse from there.

So spring = mold = activation of allergies = rapid depletion of omega 3's, too rapid for the body to adjust so people who TEND toward one of the mental disorders/diseases instead of say MS (like me) are more "on edge" and essentially more volatile right now until around the 1st of May.

Allergy season got a WAY early start this year - by like nearly 2 months. Last year by about 1 month. :/  So far I've managed to avoid attacks this year, but not flare-ups by increasing my omega 3's (3X as much as "normal")

Stress also causes a rapid depletion which is why it is often implicated in many AI and mental problems.

It's all organic chemistry, really. Obviously some situation or situation can CAUSE "rage" but the "uncontrolled" part is VERY likely due to the omega 3 deficiency.

Want "proof"? Google:

Disease (schizophrenia, bi-polar - whatever) "omega 3" abstract then read and put on you "detective" hat.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:34:11 PM EDT
[#39]
So what kind of weapon was it?

FREE
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I live in Milwaukee and here is an update.  Thirteen people shot and at least 6 to 8 are dead.  Happened at a church meeting at the Sheraton located at I-94 and Moorland in Brookfield,WI.  It would be safe to assume that this guy used something with a hi-cap mag due to the amount of shots fired.  The gunman is dead, suicide is what they are saying.  I will keep updating if I can.

Well that just sucks!

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#41]
WTF is up with all the loonies?? OK, things happen in 3's. What is next?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Seasonal depression is big in this part of the country.  Most people don't realize it.  Also a new moon on the 10th.  Just as bad or worse than a full moon.  People who are already loonies are more affected than us "normal" people.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Oh! DK, forgot to mention, 99% of Americans, Aussies and western Europe are deficient in omega 3 fatty acids. Bush signed some "order" or something so that the FDA had to list an RDA for omega 3's. It goes into effect in 2006 sometime.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why this time of year?

Tax time?

Don't know, but suicides increase slightly during spring and fall for some reason.

Do you have a source for this? Fits right into my theory (which IS correct, btw... I'm only arrogant when I KNOW I'm right ;)

Quoted:
I don't give a shit how 'insensitive' the truth may sound here....but some lame-brain politician is going to use this as an excuse to get another AWB up for vote.

Yeah... it's probably true, which is why I was HOPING that the Atlanta asshat would be "taken out" (righteously) by a CHL holder :/

Damn.

Quoted:
Well, I sure as FUCK am not giving up my firearms if the police aren't going to prevent this sort of thing before the lunatics can act.

+1!

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is there a full moon out?

The Moon is Waxing Crescent (8% of Full)

Oddly, The New Moon has more "oddities" in people than the full moon.  

Acording to the Hindus anyway ;)

Quoted:

ANOTHER Church shooting! Geeze....
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:42:18 PM EDT
[#44]
No judges or police officers involved.  Nichols has been caught.  Cable News now returns to it's regularly scheduled programming - The Michael Jackson case......
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

No shit.  Couldn't agree more.  

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:45:41 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
No judges or police officers involved.  Nichols has been caught.  Cable News now returns to it's regularly scheduled programming - The Michael Jackson case......

Yeah, I guess Michael is more "frightening" or at least "sensational" than a church shooting.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Doyle vetoed CCW here just a few months ago, too.  I'm sure he still has no problem with that today...
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#48]
The asshole was using a handgun.  The police chief of Brookfield just had a press conference but didn't say what type of handgun it was.  All in all, seven people murdered including a 10 year old girl and the perp shot himself in the head.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#49]
IMO this is a perfect defence FOR CCW!  Ya hear that, Doyle?!?!?!  Open your fricken eyes!

If he had his way, all guns would be banned and there would be emergency phones with those little blue lights on them every block so if something like this happened you can just pick up the phone and all will be fine
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Minority or muslim please, or we gun owners are going to get screwed
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top