Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2005 11:33:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#1]
i rent, so I pour the nastiest version of "drain-o" I can find down there. It usually works.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Get a pipe wrench and take the TRAP apart but put a bucket underneath it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Tannerite. Not very good for the pipe, though...
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:40:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I have removed the stopper thingy and taken a garden hose with a rag wrapped around it to seal it off and had the wife turn the water (hot) on to the hose. It flushed the clog out PDQ.

Worked for me. YMMV

Danny
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#6]
What's wrong with the chemicals?

Can't be any worse than the stuff that normally goes down the drain all the time.

Given that, a long snake (10+ feet) is cheap, unless there's a motor attached to it.  Nothing better than just mechanically clearing it out.

Well, besides Tannerite, of course!  Please post pics.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:44:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Most bathroom drain problems are due to hair stopping the drain.  Liquid Drano or something like that will desolve hair, if given a while to work.

I have had success with that, back when I had a wife and two daughters sharing the house.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Most bathroom drain problems are due to hair stopping the drain.  Liquid Drano or something like that will desolve hair, if given a while to work.

I have had success with that, back when I had a wife and two daughters sharing the house.

Our sink is clogged up too...but we have tried using Liquid Draino and it hasn't worked at all.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:03:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Forget the liquid stuff.  It is SLOW.  Crystal Drano works far better, just be sure to drop it down the bore of the sink.  It works better because being solid, the sodium hydroxide (lye) gives off copious heat when it dissolves.  The other part of crystal Drano is aluminum chips.  These chips react with the sodium hydroxide to give off heat...well, it doesn't really react with the aluminum, the aluminum reacts with water in the presence of sodium hydroxide but you get the picture.  Aluminum hydroxide (Mylanta) is formed but since its dissolved, it doesn't pose a problem.  And lots of hydrogen gas too.

If pipe is metal, a bit of heat from a heat gun also helps.  A hair dryer might work but never use a torch.  

If it doesn't work after 24 hours, neutralize with vinegar (about a cup of 5% per ounce of Drano) or sodium bicarbonate (3 ounces of bicarb per ounce of Drano).

WEAR GOGGLES WHENEVER WORKING WITH DRANO!!!!  IT IS MANY TIMES MORE DAMAGING THAN BATTERY ACID AS IT TURNS THE CORNEA INTO SOAP!!!  IF ANY GETS IN EYES, FLUSH WITH WATER AND GET TO THE ER ASAP!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Landlord is probably going to have to get someone to snake out the drain.  The draino may get it unclogged but it'll just be a matter of time before it happens again,snaking it out will get the whole pipe cleaned out and it will drain much much better,  
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:12:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I just went through this a few weeks ago.  I tried everything ...taking apart the trap, two bottles of drain cleaner, boiling water and nothing worked.  I ended up buying KLEERDRAIN from Home Depot and it works!!!!!  It looks like one of those made for t.v. crap things and I was a bit skeptical but it saved me big bucks from hiring a plumber.  

Turns out my problem was a clogged breather hole (technical term for the hole at the top of the sink that keeps a vacuum from forming??) and when I used the KleerDrain it blew the clog right out out the top of it.  The rag I had stuffed in there went shooting across the bathroom.  My sinks works like brand new.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Our sink is clogged up too...but we have tried using Liquid Draino and it hasn't worked at all.  

There are stonger drain cleaners than Draino, a good hardware store should have some, just be carefull about using them in old plumbing...might burn through.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top