Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2005 11:21:29 AM EDT
Those guys at DARPA are cool.

Concept
The Self-Healing Minefield system is designed to achieve an increased resistance to dismounted and mounted breaching by adding a novel dimension to the minefield. Instead of a static complex obstacle, the Self-Healing Minefield is an intelligent, dynamic obstacle that responds to an enemy breaching attempt by physically reorganizing. The Self-Healing Minefield consists of surface scattered antitank mines that can detect an enemy attack of the minefield and respond autonomously, by having a fraction of the mines move to heal the breach. Since the minefield is no longer a static obstacle, an open breach cannot be maintained. The Self-Healing Minefield forces the enemy to attack the minefield and deplete the antitank mines surrounding the breaching lane by either repeated assaults or a wide area breach/clearance. In either case the enemy has increased their exposure to covering fires when compared to the current mixed system minefield. An ongoing modeling effort indicates that a self-healing minefield will provide greatly increased military effectiveness of the obstacle.

www.darpa.mil/ato/programs/SHM/proginfo.html
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:36:26 AM EDT
[#1]
First they kill you, then they go after your family...
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#2]
That is some cool shit.....
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:38:57 AM EDT
[#3]
next stop

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#4]
If they could have mines relocate themselves to seal a breach
then they cound just air drop a group at night and have it delpoved by morning
with no ground work to be done. right?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Dark Star.  (really smart bombs, including one who doesn't want to explode!)
Would be nice to have a recall feature and disarm, but would be too easy to hack I would think, or EM
pulse them.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#6]
But......but.....but...I thought usage of mines was banned by treaty
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If they could have mines relocate themselves to seal a breach
then they cound just air drop a group at night and have it delpoved by morning
with no ground work to be done. right?

Family of scatterable mines can already do that.
You can dispense surface minefields from vehicles, aircraft, and arty.

I'd be curious how they define the minefield to the weapon. What would keep it from moving outside of it's defined area. It'd be kinda creepy to have your minefield "walk" into your defensice lines.
I'm sure they've considered this.

Quoted:
But......but.....but...I thought usage of mines was banned by treaty

Someone needs to smack those people.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:15:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

First they kill you, then they go after your family...

Its the Kaiser Soze of minefields.

ETA:  I thought this would be some self-destructing minefield, when I opened the thread - i.e., it 'heals' the battlefield when the war is over.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
ETA:  I thought this would be some self-destructing minefield, when I opened the thread - i.e., it 'heals' the battlefield when the war is over.

Some are designed to do that now days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top