Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2005 8:21:12 AM EDT
Went back to the orthopedic surgeon for a checkup on the dog bite on my right thumb Thursday. He said we didn't need to use the Adaptic bandage and the neo-sporin gel on the wound anymore and just wrap it with gauze. Do I still need to put some type of antiseptic on it daily and since it's still kinda raw how do I keep the gauze from sticking to the wound? The thumb nail is gone and there is an incision from where the right top corner of the nail was on the side of the thumb about 1/2 inch.
I know he wants it to air out but I'm worried about pulling it open every time I change the bandage. He also told us not to put peroxide on it anymore.

You just don't realize how much strength your nail gives to your thumb. The end of it is just kinda floppy with out that support there. He said the nail should grow back but it ain't gonna be pretty.

Any web sites that might show me how to wrap this thing without having a Fred Flintstone thumb?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#1]
If you pick up gauze pads rather than gauze wrap, you shouldn't have any real problem with sticking. Just be gentle when you pull it off. From what I'm picturing, 3x3 pads should work well, right? The pads unfold, so you should be able to get a good covering. You can anchor it with either the cloth medical tape or, my preference, transpore tape. Run a piece from your wrist  up over the thumb and back down the palm side of the thumb onto the pad of your hand, then use another piece  around the wrist to anchor the first piece. Transpore and guaze pads should be availalbe at any walgreens. 4x4 pads are the most common, and will work fine.

Is it  just the tip of your thumb, or is it bigger?

Edit; I can't describe this well. When I get home, I'll try to take a couple of pics of a wrap job and post them.

Oh, hydrogen peroxide and such kills viable tissue. With a dog bite, I assume you're on antibiotics?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:09:55 AM EDT
[#2]
i thought it sayed bondage
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
i thought it sayed bondage

That takes a lot more tape.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:17:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Why don't you ask your doc?  
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:26:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Get some Telfa pads or something. They don't stick so bad.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:29:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It's the weekend...
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:49:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yeah don't just use gauze it will stick like hell.

Actually for some wounds you want it to stick.  When the dressing is removed a lot of the debris and dead tissue is removed and will promote healing.  Infection is also lower. But when you pull the bandage off, OUCH!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#9]
He's a good surgeon but his bedside manners suck. There are always questions you think of later and ask yourself why didn't I ask him then.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
He's a good surgeon but his bedside manners suck. There are always questions you think of later and ask yourself why didn't I ask him then.

This is why I ask my patients to write shit down before they come in.  Then they wont forget.  I dont need a call at 5am wondering why the staples are still in.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd keep using the neo until it was healed.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:59:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Heck............. I would trust some of the medics I work with WAY before a doc....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top