Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2005 7:32:02 AM EDT
New Richard Linklater film based on a Philip K. Dick novel.

Here is the trailer.

movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/ascannerdarkly.html

Do you think this will be good.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:34:45 AM EDT
[#1]
You have serious issues.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:36:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You have serious issues.

SGtar15

I am asking for opinions on an upcoming movie.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:48:09 AM EDT
[#3]
the story was good, I hope the move is as well. It's too bad they have "woah dude" starring in it though.

this is promising:

www.philipkdick.com/films_scanner-061204.html

A Note from the Philip K. Dick Trust
Regarding the film adaptation of A Scanner Darkly

En Français >>  
 June 12, 2004 - As many of you have already heard, A Scanner Darkly is being adapted for film, and we are happy to finally share details about it. This project is very exciting for us -- not only because of the caliber of talent behind it, but because we believe that it will be the very first faithful adaptation of a Philip K. Dick story. Directed by Richard Linklater from his own screenplay, A Scanner Darkly stars Keanu Reeves, Winona Ryder, Robert Downey Jr., Woody Harrelson and Rory Cochrane.

Philip K. Dick is now "the most adapted SF author in the history of film." Wonderful opportunities have been realized in bringing his stories to the screen. In fact, some of the greatest filmmakers, writers, and actors have been involved in film adaptations of his work. And the most important benefit of these adaptations has been that they have brought new readers to his work. (Each time we have been told of a "green light," we have marveled at the odds of it!) But there has always been the nagging question of whether or not any of the films have adequately captured this depth of spirit of his work. We, like you, have long awaited the opportunity for a faithful adaptation of our Father's work.

The history of the A Scanner Darkly option (and subsequent development) is interesting and unique, but we will save the details of it, perhaps for a later date. Suffice to say that this amazing group of filmmakers (true Philip K. Dick fans) and the Philip K. Dick Trust (Laura, Chris and I) came together to get this project made. We were originally approached by producer Tommy Pallotta with the enticement of a faithful adaptation. When we read Richard Linklater's fantastic screenplay, and then had the opportunity to meet with him and discuss his and our visions of Scanner, we knew this was the right way to go. (The picture is being co-financed by Warner Independent, a new division of WB devoted to serious films with modest budgets.)

A Scanner Darkly is one of our father's most personal stories because much of it is based on his own experiences. For this reason, it was especially important to us that it be done with all of the right intentions. His struggle with drug abuse is well documented, and he (and we) have witnessed many casualties. The novel is filled with his humor and his own tragedies. And we believe that Richard's screenplay manages to capture these key elements -- he has even included our father's poignant afterword in his adaptation.

After agreeing that this project was the right way to go, we were delighted to hear that this group of gifted actors would be playing the characters: Keanu Reeves as Arctor, Winona Ryder as Donna, Robert Downey Jr. as Barris, Woody Harrelson as Luckman, and Rory Cochrane as Freck. We think each person brings a unique quality and passion to the project. Laura and I visited the set during filming and had a chance to speak with the actors about some of the more personal aspects of this story. Without exception, every person we spoke to -- actors, producers, and crew was entirely gracious and enthusiastic about the work of Philip K. Dick. They have welcomed our input, and made us feel a part of this project.

Like a graphic novel come to life, A Scanner Darkly will utilize live action photography overlaid with an advanced animation process to create a haunting, highly stylized vision of the future. The technology was first employed in Linklater's 2001 film Waking Life and has evolved to produce even more impact and detail.

We all hope that when this project is completed and fans watch this film, they will feel that the interpretation reflects the true spirit of the original story, and also know that the genesis of the project is the love and respect for Philip K. Dick.

For now-

Laura and Isa

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:49:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
the story was good, I hope the move is as well. It's too bad they have "woah dude" starring in it though.

is it going to be all cartoon?

Yes, completely animated. The characters will actually look like the actors.

ETA:
They are going for the graphic novel look.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like fun.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:51:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You have serious issues.

SGtar15

Thast doesn't change the fact that you still have issues.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#7]

A Scanner Darkly
By Philip K. Dick

Originally published in 1977

Plot Summary:
Bob Arctor is a dealer of the lethally addictive drug Substance D. Fred is the police agent assigned to tail and eventually bust him. To do so, Fred takes on the identity of a drug dealer named Bob Arctor. And since Substance D--which Arctor takes in massive doses--gradually splits the user's brain into two distinct, combative entities, Fred doesn't realize he is narcing on himself.

Caustically funny, eerily accurate in its depiction of junkies, scam artists, and the walking brain-dead, Philip K. Dick's industrial-grade stress test of identity is as unnerving as it is enthralling.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:00:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You have serious issues.

SGtar15

If you want to talk about facts, fact is: The person who posted that accusation has over 30,000 posts on an internet discussion board (i.e. pissing his life away on the internet), has a social circle made up of dolls and an internet connection, has mood swings, can't seem to resist making irrelevant posts and personal attacks on threads. [shrug]

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:02:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You have serious issues.

SGtar15

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:13:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have serious issues.

SGtar15

www.loc.gov/exhibits/oliphant/oa048.jpg

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:32:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have serious issues.

SGtar15

www.loc.gov/exhibits/oliphant/oa048.jpg

Yes...but I am AWARE that I have issues.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You have serious issues.

SGtar15

If you want to talk about facts, fact is: The person who posted that accusation has over 30,000 posts on an internet discussion board (i.e. pissing his life away on the internet), has a social circle made up of dolls and an internet connection, has mood swings, can't seem to resist making irrelevant posts and personal attacks on threads. [shrug]

Likely true but you are a nut case. Face it and move on.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You have serious issues.

SGtar15

That doesn't change the fact you still have issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top