Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2005 9:08:52 PM EDT
I couldn't believe this crap in our local paper.  About the worst written piece of supposed journalism I've seen.  Please feel free to send her an email telling her what an idiot she is and to show her the error of her ignorant ways.  

http://www.hendersondailynews.com/articles/2005/03/11/opinion/02opiniontue.txt

Let's get assault weapons off our streets
By SHERRY LONG
Staff Writer

A man drives downtown in Tyler and opens fire on the county courthouse steps, killing his ex-wife, an innocent bystander and wounding numerous others.

A sheriff's deputy remains in critical condition from his wounds.

Unfortunately, this story is very familiar.

It happened last Thursday afternoon at the Smith County Courthouse when the shooter was due in court concerning a child custody case.

The man used an AK-47 semi-automatic assault firearm to kill his victims.

A quick check on the Internet revealed that on the same day a Los Angeles city employee shot two co-workers using the same type of gun that was used in the Tyler killings - a semi-automatic assault weapon.

Who needs a semi-automatic weapon?

I fully understand the United States Constitution allows people the right to protect themselves and their homes by owning guns.

But semi-automatic weapons?

What in the world would you kill with a semi-automatic, unless you are just purposely going hunting for other human beings?

Are you going to go out and shoot a deer with a semi-automatic?

I admit that I don't know a lot about hunting, but seems like if you use a semi-automatic there won't be much left of the very animals you're trying to take home for dinner.

Plus, animals will hear a multitude of gunfire, not just one shot.

Personally, I'm scared of guns. I will not go near them, whether they're pistols or rifles. I don't care. I have buried too many friends and family members who died from shooting incidents.

A better question to ask is, why are semi-automatic guns even manufactured?

Most large corporations are driven by the profit motive - cold, hard, green cash. It's a simple true hard fact of life.

How money-hungry and greedy does a corporation have to be to put killing machines on the streets?

In 1994, Congress banned automatic and semiautomatic weapons, but it seems there are more reports than ever about shootings involving assault weapons.

"Immediately after the 1994 law was enacted, the gun industry evaded it by making slight, cosmetic design changes to banned weapons-including those banned by name in the law-and continued to manufacture and sell these "post-ban" or "copycat" guns," as reported in a study by the Violence Policy Center.

In May 2003, a congressman from New York authored a bill to make it harder for gun manufacturers to make and sell the post-ban weapons.

I hope it passes. These types of weapons need to be taken off the streets once and forever.

Federal law states that automatic weapons can only be used by the military.

I can understand the military needing automatic weapons. They conduct business in war zones, where the enemy is likely to be equipped with equally powerful and destructive automatic weapons.

But on the streets of our cities right here at home?

Assault weapons have no place in America or on our streets.

It's not exactly what our founding fathers had in mind when they said we have the right to bear arms and protect ourselves.

I'm so pissed I can't see straight......
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I just kicked her @$$ with a scorcher of a letter.

Let's see if she dare reply.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I usually don't reply to these idiots with emails, but this one gets a letter!
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 10:05:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I couldn't believe this crap in our local paper.  About the worst written piece of supposed journalism I've seen.  Please feel free to send her an email telling her what an idiot she is and to show her the error of her ignorant ways.  

By SHERRY LONG
Staff Writer

A man drives downtown in Tyler and opens fire on the county courthouse steps, killing his ex-wife, an innocent bystander and wounding numerous others.

It happened last Thursday afternoon at the Smith County Courthouse when the shooter was due in court concerning a child custody case.

A quick check on the Internet revealed that on the same day a Los Angeles city employee shot two co-workers using the same type of gun that was used in the Tyler killings - a semi-automatic assault weapon.

I fully understand the United States Constitution allows people the right to protect themselves and their homes by owning guns.

What in the world would you kill with a semi-automatic, unless you are just purposely going hunting for other human beings?

I admit that I don't know a lot about hunting, but seems like if you use a semi-automatic there won't be much left of the very animals you're trying to take home for dinner.

Personally, I'm scared of guns. I will not go near them, whether they're pistols or rifles. I don't care. I have buried too many friends and family members who died from shooting incidents.

Most large corporations are driven by the profit motive - cold, hard, green cash. It's a simple true hard fact of life.

How money-hungry and greedy does a corporation have to be to put killing machines on the streets?

In 1994, Congress banned automatic and semiautomatic weapons, but it seems there are more reports than ever about shootings involving assault weapons.

"Immediately after the 1994 law was enacted, the gun industry evaded it by making slight, cosmetic design changes to banned weapons-including those banned by name in the law-and continued to manufacture and sell these "post-ban" or "copycat" guns," as reported in a study by the Violence Policy Center.

In May 2003, a congressman from New York authored a bill to make it harder for gun manufacturers to make and sell the post-ban weapons.

I hope it passes. These types of weapons need to be taken off the streets once and forever.

I can understand the military needing automatic weapons. They conduct business in war zones, where the enemy is likely to be equipped with equally powerful and destructive automatic weapons.

It's not exactly what our founding fathers had in mind when they said we have the right to bear arms and protect ourselves.

Much more wrong with this but I'm runnin out of red ink.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 10:31:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I did a pretty good job of controlling my anger.
Here's the one I just sent:

Mrs. Long

From your article Lets Get Assault Weapons Off Our Streets, you state that you believe these weapons are illegal, and that they are not needed by the individual citizens of this country. I state to you Mrs. Long, that you are woefully ill-informed and that I am glad it is not you who leads us, the nation. What purpose would be served to our country if these weapons are removed from the hands of private citizens? Our forefathers did not state "...those who deserve weapons are protected by this article of the Constitution" or "...this amendment applies to those with legitimate hunting purposes." Our Constitution reads, "the right to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED." Websters Dictionary tells us that this word, infringe, means "to defeat, invalidate". Do you wish to invalidate our Constitution Mrs, Long?

Clearly you have not done your homework, as your editorial is filled with either mistakes or outright lies. I will let you choose which it is, and I sincerely hope you are simply mistaken.

What type of vehicle do you drive Mrs. Long? If your answer is anything but a compact sedan getting in excess of forty miles per gallon, I hereby demand that you turn you vehicle in. There is no legitimate need for any large vehicle that uses more than your share of fuel and kills those around you. I cannot imagine why automotive manufacturers would even desire to sell such a vehicle that is so potentially dangerous to all concerned. Wait; I know why, the profit motive. Those manufacturers are driven by cold, hard, green cash. The automotive manufacturers must be unbelievably greedy to put such machines on the streets of our country, these killing machines.

Mrs. Long, I support your right to drive whatever vehicle you choose. I also support my right to possess whatever weapons I choose. I own many semiautomatic weapons, including a few for the defense of my life and my liberty, and many for my own personal enjoyment. Not one of these weapons has injured anyone, except for perhaps my World War II era rifle, which I sincerely hope helped to defend this great nation in which we live. My point is, it is the individuals that harm others, not the weapons they carry. The human mind is the seed of crime, not the weapons which are used to carry out the intent. Of recent note to me has been our allies in freedom to the east, the English. Are you aware that they have completely outlawed almost every type of firearm available? Yet they still have shootings and they are currently considered a nation of helpless victims?

Criminals have no care of what type of firearms are outlawed. Why should they care? If they are committing an illegal act, then what should they care that it is committed with an illegal firearm?

In closing, I must ask that you reconsider. While I have no ideas of grandeur or of changing your mind with a passionate and eloquent argument, I do ask that you consider the rights of our entire country, and the gun owners of America, before you decide how the rights of your fellow Americans should be legislated. Just remember, when the Second Amendment falls, the First Amendment will not be far behind.

With All Respect,
Vanilla Gorilla
Gun Owner, Republican, American.

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 10:32:36 PM EDT
[#6]

i think i will with all the semi-auto's i can afford hese
as long as they keep themselves busy with baseball & drugs maybe they'll forget about us.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 10:58:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 10:58:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I dont even know what to say to this..............F^@%! People are idiots!!!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 11:22:49 PM EDT
[#9]
People these days? WTF
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:21:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Email sent. I won't hold my breath while it sinks in though..

................................................................................................

THE REASON OUR FOUNDING FATHERS MANDATED WE HAVE FIREARMS IS SO THAT WE CAN OVER THROW TYRANNICAL GOVERNMENTS (INCLUDING OUR OWN) IF NEED BE. THERE IS ABSOLUTLY NOTHING IN THE CONSTITUTION ABOUT HUNTING! SO YOU DON'T FULLY UNDERSTAND WHAT THE 2ND AMENDMENT IS FOR.
....................................................................................................

.....................................................................................

FIREARMS ARE INANIMATE OBJECTS, AS ARE AUTOMOBILES. AUTOMOBILES KILL AND INJURE THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE EVERY DAY, YOU WANT TO BAN AUTOMOBILES  AND THE MULTITUDE OF INANIMATE OBJECTS THAT PEOPLE USE TO KILL TOO?
..................................................................................

........................................................................................
THERE WAS NEVER A BAN ON SEMI OR AUTOMATIC WEAPONS, THE BAN WAS ON COSMETIC FEATURES THAT WERE COMPLIED WITH. (THAT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FUNCTION OR PERFORMANCE OF THE FIREARM, THEY JUST LOOKED SCAREY TO PEOPLE LIKE YOU) THERE WAS NEVER ANY EVADING DONE BY THE GUN INDUSTRY

........................................................................................
THESE WEAPONS WILL NEVER BE TAKEN "OFF THE STREETS" NO MATTER HOW MANY LAWS ARE PASSED, ONLY THE LAW ABIDING CITIZENS WILL BE WITHOUT EQUAL MEANS TO DEFEND THEMSELVES, BECAUSE THE CRIMINALS WILL ALWAYS HAVE THEM.
..............................................................................................

................................................................................
WRONG, ANYONE WITH A CLASS THREE LISENSE CAN AND DO POSSES FULLY AUTOMATIC WEAPONS
................................................................................

.....................................................................................
THE LA RIOTS SURE LOOKED LIKE A WAR ZONE TO ME... THOSE PEOPLE WERE LEFT TO FEND FOR THEMSELVES FOR DAYS WITH VIOLENT MOBS BURNING AND PILAGING THE CITY. OUR FOUNDING FATHERS MEANT THAT WE HAVE THE BEST FIREARMS OF THE DAY TO OVER THROW TYRANICAL GOVERNMENTS SO THAT WE WOULD NOT BE OPPRESSED AND ENSLAVED.. NOTHING ABOUT HUNTING.

I hope this helps you some ma`am.....

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:16:39 AM EDT
[#11]
bla bla bla

ba ba ba goes this little sheep
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:27:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:30:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

By SHERRY LONG
Staff Writer

IF YOU DO NOT BELEIVE IN THE CONSTITUTION AND THE BILL OF RIGHTS THEN YOU ARE NOT AN AMERICAN WHICH MAKES YOU A LIABILITY TO THE REST OF 'REAL' AMERICANS.

THE WHOLE POINT OF "SEMI AUTOMATIC ASSAULT WEAPONS" AS YOU PUT IT, IS TO BALANCE THE POWER TO THE PEOPLE AGAINST THE GOVT LIKE THE NUCLEAR DOCTRINE "MAD" MUTUAL ASSURED DESTRUCTION  - NIETHER SIDE WILL ENGAGE IN BATTLE BECAUSE THERE IS A STRONG EQUAL OPPOSING FORCE.  ONCE YOU DISARM THE OPPOSING SIDE YOU JUST WALK RIGHT IN.  

THIS IS EXACTLY THE SITUATION OUR FOUNDING FATHERS MEANT AND WROTE INTO THE BILL OF RIGHTS.  

IF THEY WOULD OF HAD FULL-AUTO BACK THEN, THE FOUNDING FATHERS WOULD OF SAID THAT FULL AUTOS HAVE TO BE ALLOWED FOR CIVILIANS TO BALANCE THE POWER.  

THE FACT THAT MOST AMERICANS ARE ARMED IS ONE OF THE REASONS OTHER ARMIES FEAR US.  THE JAPANESE HAVE STATED MANY TIMES THAT AN INVASION OF THE HOMELAND WAS OUT OF THE QUESTION,NOT BECAUSE OF THE MILITARY, BUT BECAUSE OF THE ARMED CIVILIANS.

btw... federal law clearly states FULL AUTOMATICS, DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES, SHORT BARRLED SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES, and SUPRESSORS are legal for civilians as long as it is legal in their state.  It has been this way since the start, but since 1934 a "TAX" is needed to be legit and even that is borderline unconstitutional as congress used a commerce clause to enact a tax on this and had nothing to do with "banning" any firearms.  If you are going to post sighting "federal laws" make sure you know what you are talking about before you post.  

Sherry Long, you loser.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:30:10 AM EDT
[#14]
That sucks!!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:41:42 AM EDT
[#15]
i'm not going to waste my breathe on the stupid anti-american whore.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:32:49 AM EDT
[#16]
btt
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:52:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Did you see that fat ugly hideous cunt-twat-whore?

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:57:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Did the reporter research ANY facts or ANY thing prior to writing that?

WTF happened to JOURNALISM??

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:12:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
bla bla bla

ba ba ba goes this little sheep

Yep. Maybe I'll write a letter later, after I calm down.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:15:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Email sent.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:18:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:35:46 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Did you see that fat ugly hideous cunt-twat-whore?
www.hendersondailynews.com/content/articles/2005/03/11/opinion/02opiniontue.jpg

Beat me too it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:42:10 AM EDT
[#23]
She discredited herself when she said that she didn't know anything about guns and was fearfull of the sight of them.  Typical BS
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:45:54 AM EDT
[#24]
She apparently wrote her "opinion piece" by copying from the VPC handout they sent her to copy from.

As I travel around the country I read papers from the areas I am in at the time.  I see virtually the same gun control editorials, almost word for word, and the same letters to the editors, almost word for word.  The exact same phrases are used, such as about CCW, "Dodge City", "Wild West shootouts", "Blood in the streets", "killing over arguments about parking places", etc.  I can only believe these are scripted by the Brady's and VPC.

At least when Reuters or AP sends them a news item, they credit Reuters and AP.  They should do the same when they print VPC and Brady editorials.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:56:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Ms. Long,
I was reading you article titled "Let's get assault weapons off our streets." I must say that article is a joke because of it being so incorrect and unresearched.

First, "Are you going to go out and shoot a deer with a semi-automatic?"- Yes, many people do in fact shot deer with simi-automatic weapons

"I admit that I don't know a lot about hunting, but seems like if you use a semi-automatic there won't be much left of the very animals you're trying to take home for dinner." I can tell from your article that you don't know a lot about research and guns. A simi-automatic weapon does the same thing as a bolt action, lever action, ECT gun. It fired one bullet per pull of the trigger.

"Plus, animals will hear a multitude of gunfire, not just one shot." Again, simi-automatic guns are not machine guns that you see on television.

"Most large corporations are driven by the profit motive - cold, hard, green cash. It's a simple true hard fact of life." Please name a corporation that does not get driven in the end by net profit.

"How money-hungry and greedy does a corporation have to be to put killing machines on the streets?" It is supporting our rights as Americans. If you don't like them, please leave. You would not be in Texas right now if there were not guns open to citizens.

"In 1994, Congress banned automatic and semiautomatic weapons, but it seems there are more reports than ever about shootings involving assault weapons." That is the most hilarious line in the whole article. In 1994 Congress did not come close to banning simi-automatic and automatic weapons. It banned useless cosmetic features that most criminals would just ignore the laws and have anyway. Why would criminals follow the laws if they are going to kill themselves or go to jail for life anyway?

"Immediately after the 1994 law was enacted, the gun industry evaded it by making slight, cosmetic design changes to banned weapons-including those banned by name in the law-and continued to manufacture and sell these "post-ban" or "copycat" guns," as reported in a study by the Violence Policy Center." This is totally wrong. The 1994 act banned no guns, just parts.

"In May 2003, a congressman from New York authored a bill to make it harder for gun manufacturers to make and sell the post-ban weapons. I hope it passes. These types of weapons need to be taken off the streets once and forever." Sorry, this is a Republican controlled country. It is not going to happen.

"Federal law states that automatic weapons can only be used by the military." Please give me a copy of the law. Anyone can own automatic weapons with a tax stamp and other necessary permits. You could too.

"But on the streets of our cities right here at home?" I have never seen an assault weapon on the streets. Have you?

"It's not exactly what our founding fathers had in mind when they said we have the right to bear arms and protect ourselves." Please read the real history books like, The Federalist.

Thank you for taking the time to reading this. Please send me the information I requested for you to back up your claims. I will enjoy reading the corrections in the near future.

Thank you.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:08:37 AM EDT
[#26]
That article appears to have been written by an 8 year old.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:41:32 AM EDT
[#27]

I just want to know what she and her friends are doing that is causing them to be killed.

Edited because of a typo.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Press Releases:
A subcommittee on media and public affairs assembled a list of press
releases and studies, which can be timed to one released to the media
per day, in order to fully maintain the high profile of the gun control
issue.  We don't want to lose the momentum initiated by the massacre in
Long Island, however, many local news organizations have been very
active in keeping the gun control issue resolutely in view, without any
assistance from us.
 Be sure to call the various station managers and
news services to express your thanks.

Just For Your Information:www.RKBA.org/antis/hci-master
Allege 1993 feinstein/hci PRETEXT for TOTAL Gun Freedom Confiscation.

Propagandist Willfully Ignorant Tool.

United States Of America________________________
www.LEAP.cc/ -- www.Cures-not-wars.org/ Truth Will Liberate Earth.    Law EnForcement Against Prohibition
www.RKBA.org/antis/hci-masterAllege 1993 feinstein/hci PRETEXT for TOTAL Gun Freedom Confiscation.
www.digitalangelcorp.com/ Revelation 13:18 BAN Human Power ID-GPS-MONEY Implant Micro-chip.Patent 5,629,678

FIXED BAYONETS -- FORWARD
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Its amazing people dont know or wish not to belive the pourpose of the 2nd admendment.  If you read it there is not much to assume, it spells it out clearly.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. "

It is also amazing how people think the bill of rights are rights given to us by the government. They are not given to us by any man or government or else they would be able to take them away. They are given to us by god and no man or government is able to take them away.  (or at least so we thought)

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#30]

Every time I see or hear this, I question the speaker or writer CLOSELY about who, when, where, what and why re such shooting deaths. Usually they are either made up, padded with more exciting material that fits the ends, or the writers or speakers didn't know these people at all, they were just fed the names to say as if they really knew them. Their connections with the victims is often tendentious at best.

We have a word for such speakers or writers: LIARS.

One speaker I asked at a gun control rally in Boston at the State House a few years ago got very upset when I asked the question about when and where these incidents occurred, asking how could I doubt her sincerity on such an important issue....and no, she never answered my question....go figure..
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Bwahahaha

That's some good comedy.  So stupid that I couldn't help but laugh.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I hope a couple ideas manage to slip through....

Dear Sherry Long:

The purpose of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, as exhaustively explained by our founding fathers, is to maintain the power of the people over the government. This is what our founding fathers had in mind...and there is not one word about hunting, fishing or target shooting.

"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights," Justice Jackson wrote in the 1943 flag-salute case, "was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts. One's right to life, liberty, and property, to free speech, a free press, freedom of worship and assembly, and other fundamental rights may not be submitted to vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections."

John Adams: "Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion in private self defense." (A defense of the Constitution of the US)

George Mason: "To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."

Noah Webster: "Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."

George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Thomas Jefferson: "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."

James Madison: "Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms."

Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, Initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights: "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

Patrick Henry: "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined...The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun."

Thomas Paine: "...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law-abiding) deprived the use of them."

Alexander Hamilton: "...that standing army can never be formidable (threatening) to the liberties of the people, while there is a large body of citizens, little if at all inferior to them in the use of arms."

Joseph Story: "The militia is the natural defense of a free country against sudden foreign invasions, domestic insurrections, and domestic usurpations(sic) of power by rulers.

Tenche Coxe: "Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

It's pretty simple, really.  As the power of the government grows, the power of the people must grow in order to keep the government under control. The people's firepower is SUPPOSED to be greater than the government's. And today, that means assault weapons.

Greg Donovan, Everett, WA
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I just want to know what she and her friends are doing that is causing them to be killed.

Edited because of a typo.

Anyone want toe check out how many friends and family members  have died from shooting incidents?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top