Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/11/2005 3:27:49 AM EDT
Looking at the thread about infantry in the army maybe seeing others in combat get badges made me think of the weirdest things people heard in the service that other folks believed and spouted off. I have three.

1. When I was an MP for a year in the active army, some airborne qualified people actually believed that they could not be apprehended while in uniform by non-airborne MPs.

2. Also when I was an MP, a number of black troops asserted that blacks could not be apprehended or arrested on Juneteenth.

3. That there is a pistol round and a match inside the truck of a flagpole. I was actually asked this at a board. The truck is the pulley, the part they meant to ask about is the finial (also called the ball). Some very few small poles combine the truck and the ball, in which case the pulley takes up too much room in the ball to have anything else. The board didn’t take kindly to my explaining the difference.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 3:34:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 3:35:54 AM EDT
[#2]
the final part of the flag pole thing is that you need to stand with you rback to the flag pole where the line is and make a righ face, walk out 6 paces and if you dig down you will find a .45 pistol.

i thought there was also supposed to be a razor blade with the bullet and match. In the event of impendign capture you are supposed to seperate the field from the stripes and the stripes from each other with the razor blade, and than burn the flag with the match to keep it from being captured by the enemy.
Im sure you can use you imagination as to why there is only one pistol round.

My current favorite stupid statement is that all the us forces in germany will be redeployed to the states next year.

never happen.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 4:14:38 AM EDT
[#3]
An enitre navy ship was awarded the CAR (combat action ribbon for USMC and Navy, we dont do trinkets and badges ) for having a 105MM round shot 1 mile off her stern while in Somalia, but the Jarheads doing the fighting didn't receive one...

And the basketball bouncing Marine at Lejeune, we all knew him personally
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 4:31:01 AM EDT
[#4]
"NUTS"

the answer to a german request to surrender by a US ARMY General.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 4:33:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Please explain.

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 4:35:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
"NUTS"

the answer to a german request to surrender by a US ARMY General.

+1.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 4:36:05 AM EDT
[#7]
7.62x39 and 7.62x51 are equal in power.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 4:39:58 AM EDT
[#8]
"Its that simple, Im going tell the Capt. I dont want to in the Navy anymore. I just dont like it. "

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:27:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Pertaining to the flag pole statement:  Is there a 1911, one round of .45, matches and razor blade in and near the flag pole?  I heard a story once about a guy who found a Singer .45 when they were demolishing an old post.  They bulldozed the flag pole and found a box that contained the .45.  I didn't believe the story but could it be true?
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:33:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Looking at the thread about infantry in the army maybe seeing others in combat get badges made me think of the weirdest things people heard in the service that other folks believed and spouted off. I have three.

Come on now, MPs can't arrest combat soldiers.  Everyone knows this.  Especially not Airborne Infantry.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:37:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Used to hear that we (MP's) didn't have bullets or didn't have powder in them!
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:38:47 AM EDT
[#12]
http://www.snopes.com/military/flagball.htm
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:39:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I don't know, I'm still trying to find a Navy guy who wasn't a SEAL!

Damn! Ain't that the truth!

SEAL's must be the largest special forces unit ever to walk the earth with the number of former SEAL's I've seen wandering around.

Although Rangers certainly seem to be catching up. Seen about a million of those lately too.

I guess if I believed all these pretenders, then special forces wouldn't be very damn "special" anymore.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:39:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Used to hear that we (MP's) didn't have bullets or didn't have powder in them!

Just one bullet in your pocket for emergencies.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:40:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I was on a incident for a dud WP 105mm projo that had a Mech Time Super Quick (MTSQ) fuze - which has a cocked striker and is very dangerous. Well,  this one moron asked if he could kick it, I told him "no problem, let us get far away first" and his Commander who was standing next to me was NOT amused by his troop.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:41:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I would get asked if 19D(cavalry scout) types were part of SOCOM.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:43:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:45:21 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
If you take in a good lungful of CS, it won't hurt.

drill sergeants are bastards arent they?
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:45:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Wheni was on drill what seems a while ago...... It's 0230 we just got back from playing with our night vision gear, but we came back 1 man short. We searched for like 20 minutes cause we all were just too damn tired to do anything. then out of the woods comes this private. Night vision still on. We're all like what the hell man where you been.  Our first sergeant at the time sees him walks over too him and says. Where the f@#$ you been private..... I've been chasing the big dick deer. .....  he ran up to me in the woods and tryed to rape my ass............ OH NO Look out the big dick deer!!! and he just ran away .......
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:50:37 AM EDT
[#20]
As I stood locked up gurding a group of Air Force techs in Pan Mun Jom, a Tech Sgt. who appears to be about 35 comes up to me (we are standin approx. 30 feet from North Korea and 5 KPA guards) whereby the following exchange takes place:

Him:  Hey, is that a real gun? (pointing to the M9 in an open top holster).

Me:  Yes Sir.

Him:  You got bullets in that thing for real??

Him:  Can I see it?

(I snap to attention and thinking of an excuse to keep from beating the guy down, execute a facing movement to look him in the eyes and give him the best "go to hell" look I can muster)

Me:  Sir, If I remove this pistol from it's holster, I can only do so to protect you and your detail.  To do otherwise would be a violation of the Military Armistice Commission agreement between the two Koreas and subject both of us to Court Martial should it cause an "international incident".

Him:  Oh.  So, can I look at it or not?

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:53:42 AM EDT
[#21]
During a preparation for our AGI, our Battalion Commander asked one of my Spec4's why there were two chains on dog tags.  Without batting an eye, he responded, " it's for when you become a prisoner of war.  You use the little chain to count the months and the long chain to count the days."

Who knew?
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:58:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:58:53 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
During a preparation for our AGI, our Battalion Commander asked one of my Spec4's why there were two chains on dog tags.  Without batting an eye, he responded, " it's for when you become a prisoner of war.  You use the little chain to count the months and the long chain to count the days."

Who knew?

I've often heard the same thing, except its days and weeks.  Are you saying that isn't true?

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:59:05 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
As I stood locked up gurding a group of Air Force techs in Pan Mun Jom, a Tech Sgt. who appears to be about 35 comes up to me (we are standin approx. 30 feet from North Korea and 5 KPA guards) whereby the following exchange takes place:

Him:  Hey, is that a real gun? (pointing to the M9 in an open top holster).

Him:  You got bullets in that thing for real??

Him:  Can I see it?

(I snap to attention and thinking of an excuse to keep from beating the guy down, execute a facing movement to look him in the eyes and give him the best "go to hell" look I can muster)

Me:  Sir, If I remove this pistol from it's holster, I can only do so to protect you and your detail.  To do otherwise would be a violation of the Military Armistice Commission agreement between the two Koreas and subject both of us to Court Martial should it cause an "international incident".

Him:  Oh.  So, can I look at it or not?

When were you there?
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:00:22 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't know, I'm still trying to find a Navy guy who wasn't a SEAL!hr

Damn! Ain't that the truth!

SEAL's must be the largest special forces unit ever to walk the earth with the number of former SEAL's I've seen wandering around.

Although Rangers certainly seem to be catching up. Seen about a million of those lately too.

I guess if I believed all these pretenders, then special forces wouldn't be very damn "special" anymore.

HAHA so true.....every tom, dick, and harry who got a Ranger tab thinks they are Rangers.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:01:06 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who knew?

I've often heard the same thing, except its days and weeks.  Are you saying that isn't true?

I don't think it's true, but I didn't have a better answer.

I think the real purpose is to allow one tag to be removed and the other stay with the person/body.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:02:40 AM EDT
[#27]

Him: Oh. So, can I look at it or not?

Last of the Old Timers (Turtle Board Certified) for the 3rd Plt. Renegade Bastards from June 91-June 92.

You're not a retired Air Force Tech are you?  
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:03:48 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The board didn’t take kindly to my explaining the difference.

so did you still get promoted?
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:05:20 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Last of the Old Timers (Turtle Board Certified) for the 3rd Plt. Renegade Bastards from June 91-June 92.

Nope. My current CO was XO of the Honor Guard company but it was later than that.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:07:38 AM EDT
[#30]

My Brother was at 29 Palms for 4 years.  He said that guy was there and that he knew the guy personally.  Is this really and urban legend?  

For  those of you who haven't heard this story I'll try to recap......

Kid wants out of the marines, so he starts dribbling an imaginary basketball everywhere he goes.  Anytime he sits somewhere, he gently places the ball on a desk or table.  Right after he's done he picks it up again and starts dribbling when he walks away.  Finally after doing this 24/7 for several weeks, the kid get his Admin Seperation and has to go to the CO's office to do the paperwork.  He of course, dribbles the ball while he goes into the office and sets it down on the CO's desk before they go through the formalities.  After all is signed, selaed, delivered, he gets up to walk out and doesn't grab the invisible ball.  The CO asks him "aren't you forgetting something?"  And he says, "No, I don't need that anymore" and walk out.

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:10:13 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope. My current CO was XO of the Honor Guard company but it was later than that.

Yeah, just as I was leaving they were restructuring into a scout/headquarters type setup and turning over a lot of our duties to the S. Koreans.  From what I understand, the JSA was disbanded on October 31, 2004.  

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:18:55 AM EDT
[#32]
My Battalion Commander in Germany was Barry R MacCaffrey, at that time a Major but now a retired 4 star general, former Clinton Drug Czar and MSNBC news military analyst. He did two tours in Vietnam and was severely wounded both times.

Anyway, all officers in our unit went on a Recon one time to check out our GDP (general defensive positions).  We ended up at the 1K Zone, or one kilometer from the East German border.  It was prohibited for us to enter the 1K Zone, but we could see the trace (East German fence) in the distance.  MacCaffrey pointed to the fence, looked at me and said, "see that Lt S?  It's the Cong."
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:20:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Probably all those vapid phrases made up to make people feel good about themselves, things like "Be all you can be" or "Let the journey begin." Those were aimed at the recruiting part, but there were a lot of in-service catch prases going around over the years. I wish I could think of more.

One that immediately comes to mind is "SUSTAINED SUPERIOR PREFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:24:08 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who knew?

I think the real purpose is to allow one tag to be removed and the other stay with the person/body.

From what I know this is true.
The small chain is for counting weeks (it has 52 beads) and the large one is for counting days (It has 365). Yes, I actually counted the beads because I wasn't about to take their word for it and I got asked how many holes are in an MRE cracker on a friggin board. My question was always, "What do you do if you're captured during a leap year?" Not to mention I'd have been screwed anyway since my chain kept breaking, it just got shorter and shorter.

My first reaction was to say, "Who the hell cares?" but obviously that doesn't work on a board.
I ended up counting those next time in the field as well, so if anyone cares, there were 81 in the old crackers, 256 in the new ones, if you count the supposed "perferation" holes that allow you to break it into smaller pieces. (Which of course don't work anyway)
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:26:03 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

My Brother was at 29 Palms for 4 years.  He said that guy was there and that he knew the guy personally. Is this really and urban legend?  

Kid wants out of the marines, so he starts dribbling an imaginary basketball everywhere he goes.  Anytime he sits somewhere, he gently places the ball on a desk or table.  Right after he's done he picks it up again and starts dribbling when he walks away.  Finally after doing this 24/7 for several weeks, the kid get his Admin Seperation and has to go to the CO's office to do the paperwork.  He of course, dribbles the ball while he goes into the office and sets it down on the CO's desk before they go through the formalities.  After all is signed, selaed, delivered, he gets up to walk out and doesn't grab the invisible ball.  The CO asks him "aren't you forgetting something?"  And he says, "No, I don't need that anymore" and walk out.

Yes, urban legend.
That story has gone around the Corps so many times. I'd hear it from at least one PFC within the first week of transfering to a new base. Apparently they all thought it was true.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:28:50 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The board didn’t take kindly to my explaining the difference.

so did you still get promoted?

Hell no, it was a guard board and they would only promote guys who had been with the unit for two deployments (DS and clinton's relection). I knew that going into the session. It was funny watching the full timers freak out that I told them they were wrong.

I did sign up for OCS to get promoted, but I found out the state school was a bunch of stupid boot camp crap and I would have to sign up for an extra four years just to start the school.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:29:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Whenever my uncle would see a gay person on TV he would yell "F***ING FA***T QUEER!".

He would change the channel to MTV or Bravo just to scream at the gay people on TV.

He's a homophobe...
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:39:09 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a better story, and this one is real.

In the late 80s on Okinawa the Corps still had mess duty, a month of being the cooks' bitches and working hard while they worked one day on two off. They had jap cooks to cook for them but used Marines on mess duty as slaves for 18 hour days to clean up and move stuff around. Later they hired locals but that is after this story.

Anyway, mess duty sucked so around two weeks into it guys would go to sick call (at least in the wing) and say their feet hurt--which they did. They would x-ray your feet, call it muscle strain, and give you two days off which is all anyone wanted so you could get through the rest of the time.

Friend of mine goes that route and they find a fracture of the foot on the x-ray. He tells them it hurts, so they keep giving him light duty. After a while he rotates back to the states, but this damn fracture just won't heal. No matter what, there it is big as day on the x-ray. By this time mess duty is gone as a threat but he can't claim that it quit hurting after over a year of saying it did, and by this point he kind of liked not having to run or do any work.

They offered him surgery, but he took a medical 50% discharge instead. He danced out of the barracks and off to college laughing because not only was he getting half his pay, but free college tution and books because he was now a disabled vet on rehab.

All because one of the bones in his foot had a line on it.

Quoted:

My Brother was at 29 Palms for 4 years.  He said that guy was there and that he knew the guy personally.  Is this really and urban legend?  

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:39:49 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Well, at Ft. Bragg in 92 it was a guy who wanted out of the 505 or 325 who constantly rode a motorcycle everywhere he went.  Upon his ceremony he "tossed the keys" to Top and said "I don't need these any more."

There was also the story about the guy who pulled his rearview mirror out of his car and threw it at the CO and said "I'm not even looking back, Mother F***er"
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:42:58 AM EDT
[#40]
    I remember the one about the sailor who constantly walked around the ship like he was looking for something.  Everytime he would look under or behind something, he say "it's not in there".  He did it for months until he finally got his discharge.  When they handed him his papers, he said "there it is".  Anybody ever hear that one?
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:47:30 AM EDT
[#41]
In marine infantry training regement school many years ago the combat instructor fired into a field with a tracer round and a large fire erupted[probably flame thrower juice]. He stood there with that thousand yard stare on his face and when the the fire died down he said,"THIS IS THE ROUND OF THE FUTURE BOYS,IN COMBAT YOU WILL ONLY NEED ONE MAGAZINE OF THESE.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:48:03 AM EDT
[#42]

Has everyone heard this urban military legend?

The version I heard was:

A guy in Desert Storm gets a video tape from his wife.  He expects it to be a video of her and the kids telling him they love him or whatever, so he puts it in the VCR in the common area, and watches it with lots of other soldiers standing around.

Turns out the video is of his wife getting nailed doggy style, while she signs divorce papers for the camera.  The guy completely freaks out and has to be restrained by everyone around him.

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:48:52 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, at Ft. Bragg in 92 it was a guy who wanted out of the 505 or 325 who constantly rode a motorcycle everywhere he went.  Upon his ceremony he "tossed the keys" to Top and said "I don't need these any more."

There was also the story about the guy who pulled his rearview mirror out of his car and threw it at the CO and said "I'm not even looking back, Mother F***er"

I just called my brother to bitch him out for lying to me and he said he never knew the guy and it was a story he heard while he was at the palms.  He said the only admin seperations he knew about first hand were 3 guys that intentionally smoked weed 2 days before a piss test and a guy that basically always said his ultimate plan was to take over the world (this guy was ADHD and was really just kinda nuts in general)
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:50:24 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who knew?

small chain with tag= instant toe tag.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 8:06:32 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
    I remember the one about the sailor who constantly walked around the ship like he was looking for something.  Everytime he would look under or behind something, he say "it's not in there".  He did it for months until he finally got his discharge.  When they handed him his papers, he said "there it is".  Anybody ever hear that one?

Never heard it, but that's pretty damn funny!
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 8:07:12 AM EDT
[#46]
The razor, match, and bullet inside the flag pole are an urban legend. When the base is being over-run, I think cutting up a flag, burning the shredded remains, and then using that one bullet are going to be the least of your concerns. How are you supposed to reach the top of the flag pole anyway?

The .45 buried at the base of the flag is equally ridiculous.

Using your dog tags to count days and weeks of being a prisoner is also an urban legend that comes from the coincidental number of beads. How are you supposed to keep track of the beads if they're all identical and strung together? The two chains are so you can easily seperate tags, taking one with you and leaving one with the body. This legend is about as true as the old legend that WWII dog tags had a notch in them so you could stick them in the teeth of a fallen comrade and kick him in the jaw to imbed them there. Yeah, I'm sure the fact that the stamping die used that notch to hold the tag still while being stamped is just a coincidence, as is the fact that NOBODY DID THIS.

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who knew?

From what I know this is true.
The small chain is for counting weeks (it has 52 beads) and the large one is for counting days (It has 365). Yes, I actually counted the beads because I wasn't about to take their word for it and I got asked how many holes are in an MRE cracker on a friggin board. My question was always, "What do you do if you're captured during a leap year?" Not to mention I'd have been screwed anyway since my chain kept breaking, it just got shorter and shorter.

My first reaction was to say, "Who the hell cares?" but obviously that doesn't work on a board.
I ended up counting those next time in the field as well, so if anyone cares, there were 81 in the old crackers, 256 in the new ones, if you count the supposed "perferation" holes that allow you to break it into smaller pieces. (Which of course don't work anyway)

Well damn! I never counted.  All I know is that after the answer was given, the Battalion Commander looked at me and asked, "is that true?"  All I could do was give him the official 2Lt stooopid look.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 8:08:46 AM EDT
[#48]
I was at the range this weekend and a Vietnam vet told a table of us that in 'Nam, "our" guys were at a disadvantage on the battlefield because the VC could pick up our ammo and use it in their AKs, but we couldn't do that with their ammo.

Uh. Thanks for your service, sir, but this civilian hasn't heard that one.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 8:19:58 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I don't know, I'm still trying to find a Navy guy who wasn't a SEAL!

Me! I wasn't a SEAL! I was a Student Naval Aviator who screwed the pooch on his Radio Instruments Checkride and got washed out of flight training!
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 8:22:21 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
The razor, match, and bullet inside the flag pole are an urban legend. When the base is being over-run, I think cutting up a flag, burning the shredded remains, and then using that one bullet are going to be the least of your concerns. How are you supposed to reach the top of the flag pole anyway?

The .45 buried at the base of the flag is equally ridiculous.

Using your dog tags to count days and weeks of being a prisoner is also an urban legend that comes from the coincidental number of beads. How are you supposed to keep track of the beads if they're all identical and strung together? The two chains are so you can easily seperate tags, taking one with you and leaving one with the body. This legend is about as true as the old legend that WWII dog tags had a notch in them so you could stick them in the teeth of a fallen comrade and kick him in the jaw to imbed them there. Yeah, I'm sure the fact that the stamping die used that notch to hold the tag still while being stamped is just a coincidence, as is the fact that NOBODY DID THIS.

You break one off for each day you're there.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top