Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2001 7:26:48 PM EDT
it seems to me if its a galil its a folder i belive this is the only weapon ive seen with the folder as the only option why? i really like the folder just wondering oh and could i get the sniper kit for a .223? i dont have one but im thinkin bout it. ive seen them for the 308 about $1500 thanks in advance
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#1]
OregonShooter;

I have a Galil ARM .233 - Real nice shooter.

"At first glance, the folding stock appears to be that of the FN FAL. It is not. The FAL stock is constructed of tubular aluminum. The Galil folding stock is fabricated from tubular steel - stronger, but heavier. More important, the Galil stock has no button latch to confound the operator in opening or closing, no small consideration during high-stress situations. "

http://www.remtek.com/arms/imi/galil/galil.htm
&
http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/models/galil.html

I do not know of sniper kits.. I did know of a place that had Scope mount but they wanted $300.00

Link Posted: 6/26/2001 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the great links i saw the sniper kit on uzigalil.com for sale it converts a 308 galil into a 99something (whatever the newer versian of the sniper is) so what are the real differences between the AR and ARM? besides the fact that the ARM more resembles the military versian?> thanks in advance im going to bed
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 4:52:24 AM EDT
[#3]
The ARM is essentially a semi auto version of the basic Galil infantry rifle, with a folding bipod, a wood forend that the bipod folds up into, and a carry handle at the rear of the forend (every Israeli soldier I ever knew or saw takes the carry handle off 5 minutes after being issued a new Galil).

The AR was a US legal semi auto version of the Galil carbine, which was issued to officers and crew served weapons people.  The issued version has a 13 inch barral, to short for legal importation, so IMI simply put the rifle length barrel on the AR, making it legal for civilian import here. Differences from the ARM are a plastic forend, no bipod mounting lug, and no carry handle.  The original importer,Magnum Research, also offered a model which they called the AR/M.  That was an AR, with the bipod mounting lug on it, so you could purchase a kit containing the bipod, wood forend, and carry handle and swap back and forth.

The .308 versions were also offered in the three variations noted above.  In terms of the Israel Defence Forces use of the .308, they were used only as sniper weapons and issued with one version or another of special stock and sight arrangements, so the US imports were basically a "downgrade", since the standard stocks they were sold with over here weren't actually used on the .308s used by IDF. Actually the sniper .308 Galils weren't used very long by the Israelis, once they discovered the US M14.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 11:25:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I knew a guy that had an ARM and it is one damn heavy gun. The Galili guy made the folder so strong that there is video of him smashing up wooden ammo crates with one. It even came with night sights!
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a NIB one, unfired, ARM in 308 complete w/warranty card, and manuals, one mag for 3thousand dollars.

Steep, yes, but so cool!

D. www.azexarms.com
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#6]
thank you to all that replied they seem to be the best compromise of AR/AK iv seen cept for wieght! ouch oh well could you get a carbon fiber forend to lighten it up a bit? i would definately want one with a bipod sence the mag is so long gun heavy and i just like bipods why do the israel infantry take the carry handle off wieght mayby. thanks for the offer derik but im not serching for one right now but i will most likely be looking for a preban AR/ARM in 223 twards the end of summer as I look over my money situation
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 11:12:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh ya, the Galil really likes the BMF activator too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top