Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/9/2005 11:13:17 AM EDT
Last summer up at the local range I see a bunch of yuppies taking turns shooting a Glock 17. They had a bullseye about 4 feet off the ground tacked to a backstop. They were shooting safely for the most part but each one of them was hitting the ground about 6 feet in front of the target

Not to mention the fact I overheard one of them say that the 2nd Amendment was obsolete and that he'd gladly turn in his one gun if the government asked him to
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Usually it's me making the shots.

When I first started shooting seriously I was trying to teach myself to double tap.  10 round mags in California.  10 times pulling the trigger, 5 holes in the target.

I'm better now, but I really should find the time to take some defensive pistol classes.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I like going to the range and seeing guys with lasers on their pistols.  The laser just broadcasts to everyone else that they cant hit $hit cuz the light is bouncing all over the target while aiming.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#3]
close in? or distance shots?

close in: not too bad so far.....

distance shots: i saw a guy who spent probably more than 2 hours trying to sight in a rem 710 ; he used 3 boxes of ammo just to get on a target ~4x4ft wide at 100yrds

a friend of mine finally helped him out and had the rifle sighted in in 6 rounds
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Some kids (probably 18 or 19) rented an AR at my range. I heard one kid say "Say hello to my little friend"...

Then BANG!

And a ceiling tile halfway down range fell out.

Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:23:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Some kids (probably 18 or 19) rented an AR at my range. I heard one kid say "Say hello to my little friend"...

Then BANG!

What a bunch of idiots. They give shooters my age (19) a bad name
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#6]
You know, I really think that shooting downrange can't be that difficult.  So when I see bulletholes in the overhang about my head, I get a little concerned.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:26:29 AM EDT
[#7]
At a indoor range here the walls and cieling are messed up pretty bad. It amazes me  how bad some people shoot. First time I shot an AR at 25yds, all of my rounds were center mass....... Maybe I was lucky but DAMN....... some people are terrible

ETA: I'm 21
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#8]
They shoot out the lights AND the equipment in my range all the time.  My boyfriend has to fix the range daily from idiots that hit the arms holding the targets. (I'm sure there's a word somewhere for that thing...dang if I know it...I'm also sure someone will inform me here.)

Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#9]
At Gunsite, of all places, we had a guy shooting over the backstop and all over the tagets.  In the Fun House we had a target with a Tango and a young hostage.  He nailed the kid right between the eyes.  The bad guy must have gotten away.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Then BANG!

lol, fricking idiots!

Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I saw a guy 4 rows next to me shoot one of the lights on the ceiling, how the hell do you do that?????????

Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:34:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:34:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I suck.  Can't hit the broad side of a barn.  Good thing I have lots and lots of guns to make up for my bad aim.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If some Hezzoballah shitbag has a skorpian pointed at your head and your pinning your hopes on a fat middle aged near sighted attorney to save your ass I say me blasting you is Evolution in Action!

Hey, I resemble that remark.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:38:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Usually the police
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:39:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#17]
During my academy days one of the fellow recruits
would begin firing his weapon as soon as he cleared
leather. He would shoot the ground leading up to the
target. Kind of like a strafing run by a fighter plane.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I suck.  Can't hit the broad side of a barn.  Good thing I have lots and lots of guns to make up for my bad aim.

Volume of fire makes up for lack of accuracy.

Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:44:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Some kid, tattoos and poprivets from neck to ankles, with a Mossberg 500, topfolding stock, and a Mini-maglite on the front, trying to impress his girlfriend, with even more "cranium accessories". So shooting it at 25 yards, I saw dirt fly up everywhere but by the target.
He was hugging that thing so hard, that the stock had cut it's way into his cheek....

And then the guy with tourette's, shooting PPk next to me. Freaky....

Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#22]
A shooter in one of the CHL classes I coached missed the first 20 shots.

The first 20 shots are fired SEVEN FEET FROM THE TARGET.  

He got some remedial training and was not allow to get his certificate or permit until he got more practice.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:47:10 AM EDT
[#23]
[Flame Suit On]

Cops

Female donut ranger with her service Glock was all over the paper at 5 yards (and I mean ALL over the paper), hit the hangers twice in one mag, then proceeded to go prone and try to do headshots at that distance at an indoor range. Got off two shots (one completely missed the paper, other just barely hit the edge) before I stopped her.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
You know, I really think that shooting downrange can't be that difficult.  So when I see bulletholes in the overhang about my head, I get a little concerned.

Difficulty is not the issue I can assure you.

My worst observed shot:  Deer hunter.  Gets out rest, sandbags, clamps, etc.  Wedges long rifle into mounds of sandbags.  Takes a paper plate down range.  Comes back fires 3 shots.  First shot is no where to be seen (i've never missed paper outside shooting on the move).  Second shot is at the top of the plate several inches to the left.  Third grazes the bottom of the plate.  A 7 or 8 inch 2 shot group.

Davey Crocket then packs his stuff up.  Goes and gets his plate.  Admires it for a moment.  Looks at me and with a straight face says.  "Good enough for knocking down a deer!".  Then proceeds to tell me how he tried 3 does this morning and missed and thought he should come sight in his rifle, he thought he might be "way off".  One doe even stood and looked at him as he fired two shots but he couldn't seem to "put her down".  It was all I could do not to laugh, yet it was frightning and sad all at the same time.

Even my wife could keep em in the black from the bench with no bags on her first EVER outing.  I had never seen someone actually try, and do so badly.  I've seen worse misses but never from a bench by someone who claims to have used a firearm before.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
First time I shot an AR at 25yds, all of my rounds were center mass....... Maybe I was lucky but DAMN....... some people are terrible

...Wow
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Wow,
You guys are making me thankful I go to ranges that aren't really busy. But before deer season last year I saw a group of what looked like redneck sniper wannabes how up at the range. They showed up wearing guille suits with blaze orange hats and I think they had there farming boots still on. They decided to set up and sightin thier new rifles. It was very funny the pulled out the spotting scope, got out the bench rest and proceded to sight in thier brand new Weatherby 300 Weatherby magnum rifles. Now the funny parts. I was shooting nice 2.5" groups with my old K98 and Turkish 8mm ammo from the 1940s. These guys had thier brand new rifles with brand new Leupold scopes and they were set up to sight in on the 25 yard pistol range. Now if that wasn't bad enough. These three thankfully left thier target for us to inspect after they left. Now I was shooting 2.5" at 100 yards open sight with surplus ammo and these guys were shooting 3" groups at 25 yards with new rifles, scopes, and fresh factory ammo. The 3" group target was the best they shot that day. I laughed. It was too funny. I then pulled out my ammo that I will use when I go deer hunting with the Mauser and I got my groups to shrink to 1.5" at 100. My rifle is wierd in the fact that someons along time ago shaved of filed the front sight post to be really fine and narrow and the rifle shoots perfectly. But I always laugh at the guys who brag about how good of a shot they are and then they don't tell you until they are done with thier story that they shot thier targets at 25 yards. Enjoy Arvin
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:55:48 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I'm surprised he didn't just pivot the holster and start firing....
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#28]
I missed the ground once.

Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 12:10:30 PM EDT
[#31]
The wife and I were shooting at an indoor range and the guy a lane over from us had a duty belt, a Glock, and some sort of badge.  I am assuming he was armed security as he was an older gent in fairly poor shape.  Anyways, it was a simmilar story as posted before, shots all over the standard B-10 target at about 5 yards.

Another was when taking the shooting portion of my CHL class, we were divided up into three groups for the qualifying.  There was one guy who was the total "Ex Special Forces" guy.  I had never run across one before and thought they were perhaps a bit of internet exageration, but no, I had a live one.  He had a ratty drop leg holster with him that had what looked like a beat to hell Berretta 92 or similar.  Probably the Taurus version.  He was wearing woodland camo BDU pants and boots of course at an indoor range.  I was listening to him tell stories about how he is a driver and carries large amount of money from place to place and that he carried his gun already in the drop leg but now wanted to get it legal.  We were all there watching the first string and he made a comment about one shooter "Damn he can cover me anytime.  He's a good shot."  I looked at the guy's paper he was talking about and the guy was keeping everything within the 7 ring!  This was at three and 7 yards.  If he considered that good shooting, I so wanted to see what he could do.  Unfortunately my wife wanted to go after it was our turn so I didn't get a chance to see him shoot.  I bet it would have been good :)
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#32]
True story.

I cannot hit anything with a pistol.

I sometimes shoot IPSC, and I'm always last or damn near last.

This guy who also shoots IPSC knew this.

He showed up at the Boomershoot and set up next to me (well, I set up at the end of the row next to him). He railed on me about how much I was going to suck, etc etc.

This would normally be a fair accusation; however, I had just aquired my Bushmaster v-match and a nice Leupold scope and found the perfect ammo.

After figuring out what was up, I just waited for him. As his spotter would walk him into a target, I'd let him get a shot or two close to it - and I'd take it. Again and again, as he was walking in, I'd just reach over and take his target.

He's never come back.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 12:13:08 PM EDT
[#33]
The worst shot I have ever seen was an ND that nearly killed me.  I am sitting on the bench behind the firing line waiting for cease fire.  Soccer mom about two stalls down to my left is shooting a Beretta 92 with her husband and kids sitting behind her.  She decides to tell the husband SOMETHING and swings the weapon ALL the way around to her right, finger on the trigger, in full isoscoles (sp).  I do a superman in the opposite direction of the bench and as I hit the ground... BOOM. She fired right into a stack of target stands exactly between me and her family.  The only think I could get out was NICE FUCKING SHOT!

I packed up and left as the rangemaster was screaming bloody murder..
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#34]

My VERY first time with an machine gun!

I had just been given a M11 with a full mag. Lined up on the target. Pulled trigger.

Rounds started on the paper, went up the paper, hit the target carrier, up the target carrier and into the celing. About that time the mag ran dry.

Over the intercom the RO came on and said:
"Lane 6 - you want to try and keep it down?"

It's good for a laugh now.

Av.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Cops generally speaking are the WORST shots i've ever seen- except for NIB noobies.

During weekend matches, they always seem to disappear between rounds and never come back to complete the course..... I wonder why???
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Oh yeah, that guy at Gunsite I told you about--nice guy, but from prone at 25 yards he was shooting over the backstop. The backstop was over twenty feet tall. At 7 yards he hit the targets belonging to the guys next to him. Thats like 5 feet over on each side.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 12:43:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Two stories:

1.  At an indoor range, there were some 50 yard stalls.  On certain days, they would have a guy that would bring in some full auto pieces, ranging from UZIs, M-16s, AKs, etc.

These gang banger types walk in, and want to "Shoot the AK yo!"

They load up, and let 'er rip.  About the 4th or 5th shot in, ceiling tiles are dropping and lights are shattering.  Quite impressive.

2.  At the same above range, there was a gentleman with 'custom built DPMS capable of shooting over a mile.'  He was a chatty fellow, telling me the importance of lubricating your ammo so it feeds better.  He swore by the old green lacquer 62 grain wolf.  Said the stuff was 'target' ammunition.  He asked if I wanted to shoot it, and after asking many times, I did.  It was like shooting a rifle after a guy that washed his hands in chicken greese.  The thing felt slimy (because he uses shooting gloves, the same ones he lubricates his ammo with).

So he puts down the bipod, and is going to shoot a group.  About 4 shots into it, he keeps talking about "you aren't going to believe how good this group is!!!"  I was interested to see this group.  He could see it through is scope (a bushnell or something).

After 10 shots, he pulls the target in, and this thing was about 2".  It wasn't even because flyers.  They were all over the place.  He takes it down and was like, "This one is a keeper," and puts it in a binder with other poor targets.

He just wouldn't stop talking, so I packed up my gear.  The guy at the front desk was like, "So you got to meet Norm back there, I imagine.  I'll knock off an hour of the range fee, as he can talk your ear off."
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I was responsible for the death of a target holder last weekend, but they all stayed in the range.  I'm not so sure I can say the same for the idiot with a .45 in each hand.  He was making me real nervous.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Some redneck at the pit with a muzzle loader, 2 hours before he asked, is there something wrong with my scope...We said, "Yes Turn it 90* to the right and try it all over again...."

Stugots.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#40]
I love the guys that can spring $2 for paper targets. Saw a guy come to the range w/ an AK that had the thumbhole stock. He proceeds to take out a paper plate drew a "circle" on it with a pink marker. His rendering was the most lopsided circle I'd had the pleasure of laying my eyes on. Needless to say he hit the plate maybe three times out of 10 shots @ 50 yards.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
The guy at the front desk was like, "So you got to meet Norm back there, I imagine.  I'll knock off an hour of the range fee, as he can talk your ear off."

That's good stuff!
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#42]
I have seen deer hunters at a range during "free sight in week" that could barely get on paper with a bench rested, scoped, rifle at 50 yards.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 12:57:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Mine....from 3 yards during CCW qual.  The target was 8.5"x11" with a red 1" dot in the center.  First 6 rds were slow fire, raise site on red dot & fire.  My fifth shot hit the bottom edge of the paper.  Fortunately, my other 5 hit the red.  But as my luck would have it, a rather portly fellow whom we'll call Bubba saw this when he was standing directly behind me.  

He said "He he he ya missed one with that fancy gun of yers"

'Bout the only thing I could say was "Yup, but at least I hit the fucker in the balls"

Ol' Bubba was shooting a top quality H&R double action .22 (read:rusty) while I did my shooting with a Browning HiPower.

By the forth go at the target Ol' Bubba had a pretty good scattering of holes in his paper.  I didn't have anymore red dot left
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#44]
I was at an indoor range the other day, shooting my new SIGPro 2009 for the first time.  The first couple mags through the gun, I was just getting used to the DA trigger and was frowning because my group at 15 yards was about the size of my palm in the X ring of the target.  Then I saw the guy next to me, shooting a DAO Smith 9mm at 7 yards...and missing the fucking paper.  No lie.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Oh yeah, saw a cop shoot a 20 inch 15 shot group, very, very slowly. Distance was approximately 8 feet.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Then BANG!

Was that that indoor range on Deuquender in Sterling Heights????   One of the most dangerous places I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 1:17:25 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then BANG!

Was that that indoor range on Deuquender in Sterling Heights????   One of the most dangerous places I have ever seen.

Deuqender in Sterling Heights sounds like "Double Action" if I remember the name right. Man, that place was scary. I've seen targets come back without any holes and my targets come back with the wrong sized holes.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Worst shot i've ever seen? Mine :).

It was over at the pistol range and H&K was doing a promo there, I got to fire an MP5 at around 25 yards. I put it on single just to get a feel for it...*bam* *bam* *bam* a nice 3" group formed, not too bad for my first shooting. I decided to kick it up a notch and set it on rock and roll.

Braced...*BRAAAAAAAP-Click* Well heres what happened..first few rounds hit the black..then it went up...hit the target carrier, the line, and finnally the tiles up top and stopped.

Then I loaded another mag and properly let go on full-happy mode all black.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 1:18:53 PM EDT
[#49]
The indoor range in Nashville used to have a sub gun shoot once a year. A C3 dealer would come in and set up to let people shoot.
Some guy came in and wanted to shoot a Mac10. No sooner than he cocked it, he shot 10-12 holes in the overhead splash plate. That was it for him. everyone was hightailing it up the stairs out of the basemant.
This guy came out a minute later with about half his ass missing where it got chewed.
The wife shot the MP5 and did a damn good job at it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#50]
I was out at the gravil pit I do my shooting at.  There was a guy there doing a break in on a what I can only asume was a new Varmit upper on a decent DPMS lower.  He was doing the standard 25 shots cleaning barrel after each one.  Well, he was taking each one of these shots very seriously.  It's not so much that he was missing, infact I didn't see him miss once on the 2" steel spinner he set up at about 15yrds, it's just that each time he fired he made sure he was set up fully prown with ground mat, and gloves and bi-pod.  He'd fire his shot, then get up, take half a minute to take off his really expensive gloves, pop the upper off, run a rod with a patch through it, then put the upper back on, put his gloves back on then adjusted his mat, go prown again then fire another shot, then do the whole thing over again.  It took him maybe half an hour to fire 6 or 7 shots.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top