Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/9/2005 6:42:29 AM EDT
Inventing games as a kid was always fun.  

War Jarts was a favorite of ours - you'd sling a yard Jart at the opponent, and the opponent could not move before the Jart crossed the half way point of the yard.  I got nailed in the ankle by one once - ouch.  Too bad they outlawed them.

We'd also douse a basketball in gasoline, fab up a wet-towel-glove, and sling it at the opponent/victim.  

Bouncing a basketball in the garage, closer and closer to the light on the ceiling, was great fun.  For some reason dad would get pissed with our level of lightbulb consumption.

My brothers and I used to get my youngest brother to ride his bike back and forth, while we attempted to throw a stick into the front spokes.  The little bastard never seemed to remember what happens when someone "wins".
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 6:44:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Ice Berg

We'd go out on the lake as the ice was breaking up.

You'd stand on a iceberg, and your buddies would jump on and it would start sinking.   Once it got to your ankles, you would all jump off to other bergs.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 6:45:20 AM EDT
[#2]
In the Corps we invented BB wars. Take the BFA off the M16, chamber a blank, and roll a BB down the barrel.

Much fun (read very stupid), and somehow no one ever lost an eye.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 6:47:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
In the Corps we invented BB wars. Take the BFA off the M16, chamber a blank, and roll a BB down the barrel.

Much fun (read very stupid), and somehow no one ever lost an eye.

What about ranger rockets?  Use a blank to fire a cleaning rod live a javelin.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 6:48:38 AM EDT
[#4]
My older brother and I used to play this game where one of us would crawl into a sleeping bag head first and stand up - the other person's job would be to circle around as quietly as possible and strike or tackle you.  

When it went to the ground, whoever was on top won.  Caught a lot furniture with our heads doing that - but I feel I'm a better person for it today.

We also enjoyed this game involving determining just how close you could swing a baseball bat at one another without making actual contact.  Details on that one are a little sketchy.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 6:48:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Stupid game.

My brother and I would go out in the backyard and take our Boy Scout knives, unfold them, and stand 3 feet apart-barefoot-and see how close we could get to each other's feet by throwing the knives in the ground.  Misses hurt and bleed like hell.

HH
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 6:49:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 6:52:41 AM EDT
[#7]
home made lawn darts.. basically sharpened stick with pigeon feathers as fletchings and a heavy bolt for weight.  we would go into the hay mown and chuck them back and fourth trying to catch them in the dimmly lit barn.  we all took injuries from that game.

Link Posted: 3/9/2005 6:57:48 AM EDT
[#8]
We had a pool, so the games only got more dangerous:  Swimming underwater in one breath from one end of the pool to the other, while your brother THREW jarts into the water in an attempt to skewer you.  The water only slows the jarts down slightly.

We had an old bomb shelter under the garage.  My brother and his buddies would get high and shut off the lights and they'd throw darts at eachother.  When my neighbor brought over his father's fencing gear (epee's, mostly), it was in the dark fencing with only the head gear.

Bottle rocket wars escalated into Estes rocket wars.
The usual stuff.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 6:58:32 AM EDT
[#9]
- who could dart out in the road & come the closest to getting hit by a car

- BB gun wars

- Knight wars. metal garbage can lids, tin foil hats & broom sticks. made for some swollen knuckles. kinda hurt the ears too
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 6:59:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Roman candle/bottle rocket wars, flinging shurkien (throwing stars) at each other.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 6:59:21 AM EDT
[#11]
life jacket rafting.
when white water rafting.  take off your life jacket, clip it together and ride down the rapids on it like a boogie board.  Helmet?  No those are expensive and you keep breaking them.  

BBQ pit bomb.
Not a game but kind of fun.  Start a small fire in the BBQ pit.   (old smokey) Blow it out and put the lid on.  Pour more charcoal starter down the vent so it smokes.  throw a lit match in the vent
Kaboom!  Blows the lid off of the pit.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:00:32 AM EDT
[#12]
We used to stand in a field while one guy shot arrows into the air so they would land on/near us. No actual point to the game.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:03:34 AM EDT
[#13]
We'd fire an arrow straight up and see if it came down near us.  We'd throw lawn darts and try to run under the arc before it landed.  I'd send Tonka trucks down the drive and try to intercept the neighbor's cars.

G23c
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:05:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:05:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Napalm Tennis.

Pour some gasoline over styrofoam egg crates to make the jellified, sticky, fuel.  Dump a tennis ball in it.  Walk out in to the street.  Light the tennis ball.  Hit it back and forth with tennis rackets.

The best part was the flaming deposits it would leave behind as it bounced on the road.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:06:09 AM EDT
[#16]

LOL, the BB gun wars didn't last too long  Then we all got MX dirtbikes and the maiming began in earnest.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:07:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
We had a pool, so the games only got more dangerous:  Swimming underwater in one breath from one end of the pool to the other, while your brother THREW jarts into the water in an attempt to skewer you.  The water only slows the jarts down slightly.

Now that honestly sounds like fun (help me, I'm sick).
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:08:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, mostly fireworks wars.

Had one friend get a massive string of ~200 firecrackers thrown on him.  Wrapped around his torso, lots of holes in his shirt.

Another friend had a roman candle blow up in his hand as he was chasing somebody and smacking them in the back with the balls.

We were having one after dark, and had agreed that only the smaller Black Cats and roman candles would be used.  My side wasn't doing so well, so I pulled out the giant bottle rocket that I had stashed and fired it out where I thought the other team was.  It flew ~2 feet to the right of a guy that had crept within 20 feet of us, continued behind him and buried itself in a stump about an inch deep.  The other team's retreat followed.

Yeah, amazing nobody lost an eye.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:10:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Bottle rocket wars...

We didn't exactly 'invent' them but we did take them to a whole new level.
We used 6' PVC pipe to shoulder lunch them at each other

We usually did teams of 3. 3 on one side of the field 3 on the other. Played it around midnight when it was pitch dark. Didn't know you were being fired on until you saw the trail of red heading your way.

Many people got hit luckly no one got hurt.

Ahh... good times
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:10:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Ahhhh, bottlerocket wars! We even had pvc launchers made. Man those were the days!

CH
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:14:10 AM EDT
[#21]
My friends & i had fireworks wars for about 4 straight Fourth of July's. We'd go to one of my friends farms at night & go at it for hours. We were very protected with masks and thick clothing, but i look back & think of how fucking crazy that was. I can't believe no one burned up. Roman candles, bottle rockets, black cat firecrakers, etc... we pretty much shot anything at each other.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:17:13 AM EDT
[#22]
My little brother and I found an old water heater tank (heavy sheet metal) and some aviation snips.

I proceeded to make a whole bunch of chinese throwing stars which we subsequently hurled at each other and at walls and other things.  To this day Dad never figured out what the little holes all over the basement walls were.

We also used to play a game I invented called Roofsketball.  That was where we hurl a basketball at the roof of the house until Dad came out and slugged us - that was the dangerous part.

Also we once found a bunch of those green metal stakes that make up temporary chain link fences and found that we could sharpen them to make terrific spears, which we then hurled at each other and at trees and whatever passed by.

Then there was also the game we'd play where I would set up a ramp and line my litle bor and all his little friends up behind the ramp and I would jump them with my bike.  Thank god that one never went foul.

And then there were the model rockets, which when pointed other directions than up did marvelous things.

For these reasons and more I am never having children of my own.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:17:15 AM EDT
[#23]
BB gun wars (in the pre-paintball gun days) with bottle rockets when we could get them.

Jousting on four-wheeler atvs using cabbage palm fronds as lances

cabbage palm frond sword fights (with and without garbage can lid shields)

Jumping the bicycle off the porch over the shrubs.

Home-made firecrackers and smoke bombs.

Its a miracle we lived to adulthood . . . . .
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:18:47 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
We'd fire an arrow straight up and see if it came down near us.  We'd throw lawn darts and try to run under the arc before it landed.
G23c

We did that.  We had a bow and a single arrow.  One person would fire it straight in the air and everyone else would stand perfectly still, because if you ran, you were a giant pussy.  I have vivid memories of the whispering sound you would hear when the arrow came down within a foot on two of you.  No one ever got hit.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:22:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Butchie ball....think of it as a full contact basketball game with a rim only 7' high

High Point...the act of karate chopping an aluminum can, and the the next person had to rotate the can until the highest point was up, and then he had to karate chop the can. Game ended when the can was sucessful chopped in half....lots of jagged aluminum and sliced up hands.

Street surfing....crawling out onto the top of a moving car and "surfing" the 'hood.

Indoor sledding...a piece of cardboard and the longest set of stairs you could find.

Full contact chess....to long to explain.

Egyptian rat killer...card game involving fast reflexes and a few broken fingers and skinned knuckles.

Air hose fights...an air nozzle tip was replaced with the tube from a BIC pen and then either parrafin wax or BB's were used to shoot each other....(it used to be fun to work at that factory)
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:26:05 AM EDT
[#26]
"Smear The Queer"

It's was every man for himself, tackle football. No helmets, no rules.
The object was to get the ball and run to the furthest goal line
without getting killed by everyone else. Strip the ball from the guy that
gets tackeled and start over.

Ahhh, the 60's and 70's
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:28:53 AM EDT
[#27]
In high school, we invented full contact mini-golf.  I still have scars on my shins from those damn putters.  My friend Russell got thrown out of a couple mini-golf courses for  bringing a driver and launching the balls into the parking lot.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:35:57 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Ahhhh, bottlerocket wars! We even had pvc launchers made. Man those were the days!

Yeah same here ... although the PVC launcher would have been an improvement.  

One time I didn't have a proper launcher, so I used a toy rifle.  It was a cap-firing (the ones that came in paper rolls) lever action rifle, constructed of plastic.  The sideplate rotated out of the way so you could load/unload caps.

I modified the rifle by removing the cap firing mechanism.  Why?  Well, I figured I needed some place to stash my spare bottle rockets, and what better place than INSIDE my gun?  So I took my spares, chopped the little wooden dowels down to length and put them in the space left by the cap mechanism.

Well ... the barrel of the rifle was hollow all the way down to the space where my spare ammo was stored.  This meant that the hot gases and sparks from the bottle rocket being fired could reach my spare rockets.  You can guess what happened after the first few shots ....

I remember firing off a bottle rocket and having a stunned look on my face as the 6-8 bottle rockets stashed in my rifle ignited and started whistling.  Fortunately for me I had been using the whistler bottle rockets so I got advance warning of impending doom!    I dropped my rifle and hit the dirt, just as my rifle went BOOM and exploded.  

My friends:  

Me:  

Not one of my finer moments.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 8:48:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Killer run-off

A bicycle game where the object was to get on a rectangular piece fo asphalt which was rectangular.  To go off of it was out of bounds.  If you were knocked down  or ran off the asphalt you were out.   The only rule we had was you could not purposely use the ends of the handlebars in ribs, arms etc, but it still happened a lot.  Not to mention tons of bent rims and other parts

Kick boxing

Self explanatory no safety gear.  One of many games inspired by chuck norris, rambo etc.  I once had the zipper pull of a field jacket imbedded into my breastbone.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2005 9:30:08 AM EDT
[#30]
BB gun wars and sling shot wars.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#31]
i forgot rock fights.
find a nice pile of rocks and go to town.

no head shots!
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 10:31:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Used to rig up a slingshot with surgical tubing to shoot oranges, large rocks etc. Very painful getting tagged by a fricking orange let me tell you. Need at least 3 guys or a couple trees to anchor the thing.

Used the old style, steel soda cans to make cannons. Shot a tennis ball a long way. Like street artillery or something. Didn't hurt though. Probably the precursor to todays potato cannons.

Played army in the woods with bb guns. That stopped when my brother shot me in the ear with a bb; pissed me off; i kicked his ass; and dad whipped my ass for kicking his ass. Somehow I just lost all the way around.

Blew up sucker fish with M80s back in the day. Gruesome, but funny.

Shot out a street light with a .22. See comment on Dad above times about 100. Thats not really a game, but just some dumb shit we did along the way.

Link Posted: 3/9/2005 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#33]
I  have no idea what these are called but there is a weed that has dart like seeds that are very sharp. They fly like darts and will go through your clothing and stick you. I don't know what would happen if you got stuck in the eye. These things were barbed. After the game was over we would have shirts full of these seed darts and pulling them out was a bitch.

Who knows what this plant is?
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 10:33:09 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
i forgot rock fights.
find a nice pile of rocks and go to town.

no head shots!

me and my fellow ruffians were have dirt clod fights.  Go to a place that had a bunch of dirt, find a nice dirt clod and throw 'em at one another.  We didn't have snowballs in Florida so had to improvise

ETA: Construction sites were the usual location, they'd have big piles of dirt.  You could hide behind a pile for protection, manuever unseen behind the scenes, etc.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
"Smear The Queer"

Ahhh, the 60's and 70's

+1 We would play in the rain and totally destroy the park we played at. Mud is wonderful. Our football coach played with us one day and we dislocated his shoulder.

CW
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Didn't invent it but someone did, the game is played with a knife, the bigger the better and it's called "Splits".

Takes two people, you stand face to face to each other a couple feet apart with your feet together.  Someone starts off by throwing the knife into the ground and making it stick, but it had to be in line with your opponents feet.

So you throw a knife and the opponent had to move one of his feet next to where the stuck knife was, while keeping the other foot planted.

Then he'd grab the knife and do the same.  The first one to throw a knife such that the opponent couldn't move one of his feet to touch the knife won!

If you threw the knife and it wouldnt stick in the ground you lost a turn.

Splits rocks!
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#37]
fireball hockey

douse a tennis ball in gasoline or kerosine and play street hockey with it.  you'd have to resoak the ball every few minutes.  lots of fun.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#38]
baseball with rocks, no tagging we just got pegged with the rock, and there was no doubt as to wether or not you got tagged

full contact baseball/basketball/football/soccer on an old brick street

bottle rocket wars no one ever got hurt but eventually we incorperated a half time in there so that when the police eventually showed up the game wasnt over, we just changed venues

full contact hide and seek with bats/sticks at midnight, I swear you never see em commin until you hear that whistle when the sticks about to hit ya

Ambushing dad as he comes down the steps/through any door, man it was fun until we got him going down the stairs
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 10:55:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Barbarian basketball.

No rules, no time-outs, no holds barred.  Basically anything goes, just get the ball through the damn hoop before someone beat the snot out of you.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Ahh the memories...

Rolling Rock: Find a big ass rock at the top of a hill and spend most of the day getting to roll down the hill creating a swath of destruction in the woods. The sound effects were great!

Buckeye Wars: Basically flinging buckeyes at each other from behind cover. Somewhat tedious until it was discovered that you could actually hit someone with a lobbed buckeye ala mortar rounds. Great fun and pain after that.

Tree Tag: Tag, only played in trees. If you touched the ground you automatically became "it". We had a lot of large oaks in the area and we generally were at least 50' AGL. Moss coupled with fog made this very exciting.

Welt Pong: Table tennis with a twist. Played shirtless. Loser (or team losers) of the point would have to stand with their backs to the opponenets with thier butts touching the edge of the table and hands at their sides. The opponent(s) would then get one shot to smack the ball at them. Much pain and giant sized welts, especially if you were hit in the arm right below the shoulder. After a few games we looked like we were attacked by the Creature from 20,000 Fathoms.

Roofing: Get on the roof of the car and try to hang on while the driver tried (not to hard) to shake you off. Initially this was played at very low speeds with lots of maneuvers, but eventually led to relatively high speeds (50 mph) trips to various destinations.

How did our generation survive?

CW
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
My brothers and I used to get my youngest brother to ride his bike back and forth, while we attempted to throw a stick into the front spokes.  The little bastard never seemed to remember what happens when someone "wins".

My boyfriend has a huge scar on his chin from a kid throwing a ball in his spokes.

I can't believe some of these "games" that you guys came up with!
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:00:21 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
"Smear The Queer"

Ahhh, the 60's and 70's

Ah yes, I loved "Smear the Queer".

"We also used to play a game I invented called Roofsketball. That was where we hurl a basketball at the roof of the house until Dad came out and slugged us - that was the dangerous part."

Our "provoke Dad" game was called "Stay Away from the Rat".

When they were finishing our housing division, we'd jump down into poured basements and have hellacious dirt clod wars down there - no escape.

The best part was being able to walk around the neighborhood with a BB gun, and no one freaked out.  Today there would be a damn SWAT call involved.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

We'd fire an arrow straight up and see if it came down near us.  

I did that.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
"Smear The Queer"

Ahhh, the 60's and 70's

Now THAT is fun.  

Believe it or not, I learned how to play that game at a girl's Bible study.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#45]
"Hit-the-18-wheeler-with-May Pops-as-it-went-down-the-highway game"
"Tape a 12 gauge shotgun shell to a field point and shoot it at hard targets game"
"Peddle as fast as you can on a three wheeled bicycle with no brakes(I guess that would be TRICYCLE!)with your cousin sitting in the basket game"
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Me and my best friend at the time, Paul Reiter (USAF ATC - RIP - killed with his wife by a drunk driver in Kali), would have "wars" at construction site dump grounds.  We'd wing chunks of sheet rock at each other.

dumb

A good sized chunk spinning like a frisbee smacking you in the head *will* leave a mark.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Blow gun wars. We would make darts from straight pins and the Q-tips that had the blue plastic shafts(cut the Q-tips in half, insert a pin in head first and seal it into the Q-tip by melting with a match). Those darts combined with a soda straw and we had a sweet little blow gun. It only stung a little bit when you got hit on bare skin. The darts would just barely penetrate. Damn I miss those days.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
"Smear The Queer"

Ahhh, the 60's and 70's

we'd get the whole neighborhood (15-20 kids)together and play, and being tackled into a rose bush is not fun, those damn thorns are a bitch to get outta your back

Dirt clod wars often got elevated to rock wars after someone got pegged in the head

Wally-ball- throw a ball against a wall and if you dont hit the wall you better touch the wall before somebody hits the wall with the ball cause when you dont you gotta stand against the wall with your back to em while they throw that ball at you (i got some very colorful bruises from that game)

Wet towel snaping wars
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:47:57 AM EDT
[#49]
we would have roman candle wars.

I'm surprised noone got seriously hurt :P

Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I  have no idea what these are called but there is a weed that has dart like seeds that are very sharp. They fly like darts and will go through your clothing and stick you. I don't know what would happen if you got stuck in the eye. These things were barbed. After the game was over we would have shirts full of these seed darts and pulling them out was a bitch.

Who knows what this plant is?

duh.

'spear grass'

related to the red bean you rub in the sidewalk- to heat them up. Then burn your unsuspecting associates.

Smear teh queer was a classic.

and let's not forget the swordfights with pointy surveying stakes appropriated from construction sights.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top