Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2001 5:51:30 PM EDT
OK, for you computer guys: I am constantly getting fatal exception errors (Blue Screen of death)only when I play computer games. It usually happens when I initially boot the game, or when I exit the game. The errors center around the VXM and VMM files. I am running Windows '98 , but was thinking of switching to Windows 2000. Think It might help? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like the video card may have problems while switching resolutions.

Update your video and sound card drivers. Install the newest version of DirectX 8.0.
Make sure Win98 is updated too.

Link Posted: 6/26/2001 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Whenever I start getting the BSOD too much I just backup my data, format the hard drive and do a fresh install.  Most of the errors come from Windows being a crappy OS, but when you install program after program you are bound to get some incompatabilites.  Good luck with your problem.

Aggie1
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Most of the time when people start seeing lots of blue screens in the VMM and VXM modules, they have a bad piece of hardware somewhere. I had this happen to me in Win 95 a few years ago and it turned out my motherboard was bad and after I replaced it everything was fine.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#5]
When I leave my computer running, unattended for a long time (over 6 hours) then come back, I sometimes bet a Blue Screen of Death.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Your computer wouldn't happen to be a POS Compaq, would it?

If so, they are known for that sort of problem...

[img]http://a1964.g.akamai.net/7/1964/1392/1dcf6501c8f9fa/images.ucomics.com/comics/mb/2001/mb010626.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 6/26/2001 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#7]
i used to get ALL the time, its notbeen too bad for a while. i dont know why, but perehaps its the lamb i sacrifaced over it
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#8]
My old PC used to give me the blue screen of death, eventually to the point where I had enough. I took it out and shot the crap out of it!!  Not only was it fun, but now I have an all new set of problems with my new PC.  Win 98 Sucks!
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Switch to Windows 2000 Professional.  It is 100000 times better than windoze 98se
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 6:16:52 PM EDT
[#11]
all micro$hit products suck exept for maybe like uh DOS! ive gotten the blue screen of death with every damn windows ive tried one of these days im gonna just break down and run linux
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OK, for you computer guys: I am constantly getting fatal exception errors (Blue Screen of death)only when I play computer games. It usually happens when I initially boot the game, or when I exit the game. The errors center around the VXM and VMM files. I am running Windows '98 , but was thinking of switching to Windows 2000. Think It might help? Any suggestions? Thanks.
View Quote

Actually, the BSOD is an NT term, for a core dump.  Just a technicality.

Fatal Exceptions are usually caused, in Windows98, by two things:

1.  Crappy/Defective hardware.  This can be from adding way too much third party cards, with poorly written driver sets, to dying/poorly made RAM, CPU overheats, bad cache, etc..etc..

2.  Too much software.  Meaning, there is too much third party crap installed on a system, bogging it down, causing leaks, and not cooperating with other third party software.  It is amazing at how stable Windows is when you only run things that come with Windows and nothing else!  Usually means, realod the OS clean.  Some OEMs, install so much CRAP into their "base load" of the OS, that you are screwed from the get-go.

In either scenario, barring something defective, yes, Windows 2000 will help.  It is the most stable OS they have ever made.  I can barely remember Win98, and I sure can't tell you the last time it crashed, or I had to reboot.  I leave my system on for weeks without a reboot, and Win2k is great.  Of course, WindowsNT4 wasnt bad either.

Now, you should first check ALL your third party hardware, printers, USB devices, etc.. first that they have drivers, etc... and then check all your games you "must play" and see if they are compatible.

I have yet to find anything that I wanted that did'nt work fine on Win2k.

Oh, and make sure you have a fast enough machine.  I seem to like the 400mhz+, and 128 RAM+ as a minimum.

Link Posted: 6/26/2001 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks, for the input. My computer, (MicroExpress)has done this from day one, which leads me to think it is probably a hardware problem. Other people have told me that it might be a motherboard issue. Oh well, it is still under warranty, but God only knows when I will get it back. Think I will try to update my drivers and/or do a fresh install. Nothing to lose. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#15]
 Does anybody else get the "Blue screen of Death" ?
View Quote

Nope.  Not on a Macintosh.

Macs don't get errors.  By far the best CPU.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Current System Uptime: 1w 6d 50m 17s
Best System Uptime: 6w 4d 8h 21m 39s

Uptime = How long since you last rebooted.

Had to switch out a defective DVD drive, and I'm gonna have to shutdown again in a few days to swap my sound card. This is under Windows 2000 Professional. If you have good hardware, it's a very stable operating system.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can I have some of what you're smoking? Must be some good shit... [smoke]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

That's a good one!
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 6:19:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 6:44:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Mach1, before you go to the extreme that some people here have suggested (reformat), try simply reinstalling Windows.  As poorly designed and written as most Microsoft software is, the installer is surprisingly pretty good.  It will fix the vast majority of problems Windows itself creates.  Just pop-in the CD and run setup.exe.  I maintain about 75 Windows machines at work, and I have since we ran Windows 386 (before 3.0 came-out).  After we started using the preview version of Windows 95, we started getting BSOD's on all of the machines at one time or another.  A simple reinstall has made all of them better.  Reinstalling is simple.  All you basically do is hit the next button.  No need to wipe-out your hard drive to do an install from scratch.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 6:58:01 AM EDT
[#21]
I would love to see what documentation you have that supports Compaq being known for crashing.  I work in the engineering field and it is common knowledge that Compaq is far superior to any other vendor in the Wintel arena.  Please don't lie.

Quoted:
Your computer wouldn't happen to be a POS Compaq, would it?

If so, they are known for that sort of problem...

[img]http://a1964.g.akamai.net/7/1964/1392/1dcf6501c8f9fa/images.ucomics.com/comics/mb/2001/mb010626.gif[/img]

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 7:02:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, your right.  Mac won't give a trap of what was going on when the machine crashed(AKA Blue Screen )  The inferior Apple OS.8,9,X simply gives you a crappy error 11 leaving you no option but to reboot.  Much poorer quality than any Windows platform, including 3.1.  Wanna guess where all the Apple developers work now?   And all you people talking about crappy Windows...Windows is one of the most advanced operating systems ever created.  Why don't you look at drivers and your own habits when it comes to crashing an OS.  I got a safe full of fireams I will bet any person on this site that their Bluse Screen is a result of a hardware, driver, user and not the OS.
You almost sound like the anti gun sheep who blindly are herded by the media.  Windows does not suck.  You can say it does, but it simply is not a true statement.  Flame away!!!

Quoted:
 Does anybody else get the "Blue screen of Death" ?
View Quote

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 7:14:37 AM EDT
[#23]
It IS (proably) drivers or bad hardware.
If it was me, I would go to the manufacurere sites of ALL the hardware-including motherboard for updates.  Make sure you check for FIRMWARE updates too.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 7:21:35 AM EDT
[#24]
I always thought it was just a reminder that you have chosen Windows as your OS. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 7:21:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:33:06 AM EDT
[#26]
As far as apple is concerned, if you had to buy the computers straight from Microsoft, I'm sure they'd work fine too.

Working in Network/Desktop support, I'd have to agree with AR50GUY, USER error is the most common problem, mixed with poor drivers, and insane expecations.  Somehow people have this idea that there was an age of mankind when computers never had problems, and they keep trying to get back there.

Most of the time you can just look at the windows desktop and know why someone is having problems,

"MOTHER OF GOD, HOW DID YOU GET SO MANY ICONS IN THE SYSTEM TRAY?!!!"
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#27]
GO TO MICROSOFT.COM AND GET THE QUICK FIX FOR IT. WINDOWS 2000 IS A DREAM UNTIL YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR SUPPORT FROM MICROSOFT. THEY DO PAY PER INCIDENCE. SO FOR EACH QUESTION YOU HAVE YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR IT. IF I REMEBER IT CORRECTLY ITS 198.00 FOR PRO SUPPORT AND 35.00 FOR WINDOWS 98/ME. THEY DONT GIVE FREE SUPPORT ON 95 OR 3.1 ANYMORE. ALSO IF YOU DONT BUY YOUR MICROSOFT PRODUCTS OFF THE SHELF,THEY WILL ONLY HELP YOU IF YOU PAY.IF WINDOWS COMES PRE INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER (LIKE COMPAQ,IBM,E-MACHINES ETC.) THEY WILL TELL YOU TO GO THEM FIRST...HINTS "O.E.M.".. BUT THERE IS QUICK FIX FOR ON THERE WEB SITE, DOWNLOAD IT AND BE THANKFUL YOU DONT HAVE TO PAY...PEACE
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I would love to see what documentation you have that supports Compaq being known for crashing.  I work in the engineering field and it is common knowledge that Compaq is far superior to any other vendor in the Wintel arena.  Please don't lie.
View Quote

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!  Come on!  Not that one is that much better than the other, but your post is just as ludicrous as his.

If you look at MTBF data, Compaq is nowhere near the top.

Over the years, Compaq BUSINESS line has been pretty good, but their HOME line (presario) is total crap.  I have not seen much worse.... since packard bell.

The deskpro's were pretty decent, other than when Compaq got cheap and started throwing in Quantum bigfoots in them without telling anyone.  Those things never lasted over three years for us, before stiction got to them.

Overall, I'd take any Dell over any Compaq, any day, in the desktop PC line.

Servers, however, is another story.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 8:48:39 PM EDT
[#29]

[img]http://0whome0.homestead.com/files/002.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top