Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2001 12:05:38 PM EDT
I am posting this to find out how many of you have taken any sort of firarms class at Thunder Ranch (Clint and Heidi Smith).

A friend of mine is considering going, and I don't want him to just take MY word for the quality of the training and facilities.

If you have taken ANY of their classes, I would appreciate any stories, recommendations, and comments about your experience.  I plan to go back as soon as possible!
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#1]
half the people that are going to claim they went havnt. i want to go so bad
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got back last Thursday from Defensive Handgun 1.  It was an awesome class and I would definately recommend it.  All of the instructors are very knowledgable, but I gotta say that it's a real workout.  You'll be worn out when you finish.  The Terminator will get your adrenaline pumping more than anything I have ever been through.  I'm hoping to go back soon.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been to two courses at Gunsite.Terrific!  (This was prior to the new owner taking over and making a huge investment and apparently major improvements so that it is now apparently better than ever) One of the guys I was in my first class with now goes to Thunder Ranch. He says it is awesome. I hear also that the new Gunsite Academy is fantastic, so this is not to take anything from them.

You can't go wrong with Thunder Ranch.  Clint Smith is about the best there is from all I hear...and the comments about being in shape really apply to all of these schools!! You will never regret the time and money invested.  You will come away 100 times the gunner you were before you went.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 3:11:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with the "in shape" comment.  I only took their 3-day Hangun I class, and by the end of the second day my arms and back were SCREAMING when put in the "ready" position.  I really wished I had taken the 5 day course, because then I could have gone through the Terminator twice...great practical experience.

I am definitely interested in comments from people who have taken the Urban Rifle, High Powered Rifle, and Shotgun classes too...
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I have taken Precision rifle 1and Urban Rifle 1.Tell your friend to drop me an e-mail and I will fill him in more fully on these two classes.

Quality of the training and facilities what can I say they train Special Forces.  There were some air force guys there during one of the classes who would not or could not talk to us.  Both classes were composed of 1/3 civilian, 1/3 police swat and 1/3 other (Swedish Para. Military [swat], department of energy security personnel etc everyone was really cool).  This puts you and me at the bottom of the totem pole in endurance, prior training and quality of equipment.  So get in good shape before taking the class. Put on a 30# backpack and Run a couple miles everyday for a couple months, and carry a couple ten-pound dumbbells and do curls as you run if you can’t run walk but go twice as far.

There is one instructor per 3 students. And they are on your ass if or when you make a mistake but these people do NOT have a Drill instructor mentality (there is no verbal abuse).  They want to provide you with safe, hard and very intense training that may save your life.  These men are professionals who approach this training as a life or death situation (it is) and they are all active or ex-law enforcement.  

Pack the best gear.  Pack two of everything including weapons. Keep the weapons clean.  
Remember most classes have you shooting a minimum of 1500 rounds a week, that’s about 400 rounds a day or 100 before the mid morning break.  (1/2 day lecture).

You need a Camelback because you will be moving most of the day and it’s hard stay hydrated.  You need two cleaning rods, One for the brush and one for the jag because you won’t have time to change back and forth.  Finally buy good Kneepads and elbow pads because the ranges are covered with a layer of slate or shale and they will cut through BDU pants.   Buy a videotape of the prospective class and you won’t spend the first part of the week behind the 8 ball (like I did).  

On the ranges you will be required to talk to the targets because later as a bystander I want to be able to tell the grand jury that you as a TR graduate told the attacker to “STOP” and “DROP THE WEAPON”

Note on the terminator:  as you are clearing the rooms and see the threat talk to it (the proctor will speak for the target).  Don’t just shoot.  But don’t talk to long or the proctor will tap you on the shoulder and tell you the threat has killed you.

This is Clint’s school and he is the heart and soul of TR.  He only runs one class at a time so he can spend most of his time on the range.  During my classes he was leading the classes 45 out of 50 hrs.  He is there and will/can answer any question.  He is very personable and funny.  The first day lecture is a riot.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Um, cost?
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 5:45:34 AM EDT
[#7]
308wood, great summary. makes me want to take the class even more. the good part is what i know will fill a shot glass, what i don't know will fill an lake. i just hope next year while the step daughter is at camp, i will be too!!!
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 10:04:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I've taken two courses there and I have nothing but good things to say about the place.  Excellent training. Excellent instructors.  Clint Smith is probably the best speaker that I have ever heard (and I've sat in a lot of class rooms for a lot of years). 308wood has an excellent summary and I would agree with everything he says.  You absolutely won't regret going there.  Just do it - your life may depend on it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#9]
BTT.  Any ladies on this board or your wives/girlfriends, etc. attended as well?
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 4:36:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I took the Urban Rifle class just this past April.  It was AWESOME!!!  There was a thread a while back in the Tactics & Training forum.  Try doing a search on Thunder Ranch there.  I've got some information posted on my site: [url]http://www.users.qwest.net/~tholemark[/url]

Also, the Thunder Ranch site itself has great information:  [url]http://www.thunderranchinc.com[/url]

I think the cost of my 5-day Urban Rifle class was $900.  Worth every single penny!  I'd definitely go back again for more.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Took a 250 class @ Gunsite in March'01 and was very please with the instructors and the place in general.
Am signed up for a class @ TR in July and another in November. I have many friends who have gone to TR and they all speak highly of the place.
Both Gunsite and TR are equally good, with small differences between the two. You won't go wrong by going to TR and you cannot go wrong going to either/both. It really depends on which is closer or eaiser to get to.
Gunsite is nice because you can go party in Vegas after your done, but it's hump to get there from where I live and gets expensive with airfare and rent-a-POS, then hotel, ect.
TR is close to me and I can drive, so. FWIW, they both honor each others classes for pre-req's.
But, I have a friend who's been to TR eight (8) times and she (yes, it's she !) speaks VERY highly of the place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top