Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2001 8:48:05 PM EDT
Hi,

I'm wondering if there's a decent gunsmith in PDX who could install a floated handguard.

I realize it isn't hard, but I could pay 50 bucks for the tools, screw up the job and then pay a gunsmith to fix what I broke and install the handguard, or I could just pay a gunsmith to do the job correctly at first... ;-)

any names?

thanks,
Francis
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Dunno, but Dan Brennan who worked for Oly until recently has a shop in Vancouver. 4th Plain Discount Guns, 360 906 7221. He might be able to point you in the right direction.

Aviator [img]www.dredgeearthfirst.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 5:52:56 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks Aviator!

I'll give Dan a call, it's just across the river.

regards,
Francis
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 9:18:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Heh, so am I.

Aviator [img]www.dredgeearthfirst.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#4]
What about the guys at Allison & Carey.  They've got gunsmiths, but don't know how they do with AR-15s.

Allison and Carey Gunworks Inc
17311 Se Stark St
Portland, OR 97233-4531
503-256-5166

Also, what about Northwest Armory down in Milwaukie?  I've had them mount and bore-sight a scope for me.  The do sell ARs.

[url]http://www.nwarmory.com/contact.htm[/url]

My .02.  Good luck and post what you find out.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 11:31:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I stopped by Allison & Carey today and talked with their "smiths".  They don't work on ARs.  They suggested Shooter's Service Center over on Lombard.  Been there before.  They seem to be good guys.  No idea how their "smiths" are or if they work on ARs.  It would make sense that they do.  Much of their clientele is LE.

Shooter's Service Center
8242 N Lombard
Portland OR 97203
(503) 289-1280
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 12:16:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Francis,

If you have the handguard already you can ship it to me c/o Valkyrie Arms, cxt info at www.valkyriearms.com and I'll screw it on for you, $25 for the regular Al free floats. I don't claim to be a gunsmith, all I do is ARs.

Danny can prolly do it himself for you and he's closer. He might be real busy, that dude can move some hardware.

Bump my email if you want me to do it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 12:20:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know if he works on AR15's, but he's one heck of a nice guy:

[url]http://www.teleport.com/~gunsmith/[/url]

I'm doing my LEGP rifle FFL transfer through him, and I don't have any first hand experience with his gunsmith work, but I've heard a good report from the gun range.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 1:22:18 AM EDT
[#8]
John Benjamin is near Portland. He does some wild AR stuff. Space-guns from the depths of hell. Makes his own barrels also. Good stuff.
Also, he is a shooter, walkin' the walk.

Lew
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Howdy

www.teleport.com/~gunsmith/

That is Don Norris  I have had some work done by him and he is knowledgeable on AR's.He carryed one in nam ,I cannot remember if he was a armorer. I do know he works on police rifles I bought a PSS and he set it up just like snipers use.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top