Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2005 4:40:18 PM EDT
Thought I would post this for general information for all to see. Anyone that knows us up here knows we like to test all our own stuff and take nothing for granted. This is just one more example. The following photos are of a used Army issue helmet that was issued and saw service over seas. It was the worst looking of the dozens we have here so we picked it as the Ginny pig for this simple ballistic test. All shots were at a measly 10 Meters. Rounds shot were as follows.

7.62x25 Stopped
9mm      Stopped
.45         Stopped
5.56x45 Penetrated, minimal damage as round went through with no yaw. M193 55 Gr.
7.62x39 Penetrated, Heavy damage as round yawed.
7.62x51 Penetrated, Heavy damage as round yawed.
.45-70    Stopped, heavy buckling on the interior of the helmet. Round used was 300 Gr. Lead Flat faced. Round remained in the Kevlar lairs bouncing around like babies rattle.. :)

Please don't try this while the helmet is occupied by one of your buddies as the pistol rounds will knock you out and the .45-70 would cause sever head trauma.

Just for the curious we had identical results with old PASGT vests. Haven't tested the newer interceptor vests yet, but were thinking about it.

Link Posted: 2/28/2005 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#1]
well it seems to work better than your spelling skills do

sorry, I had to
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Isint everything after the first round, or once the helmet and kevlar structure are compromised the rest is inconclusive at best ?
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Kpots work great....  For beer helmets!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Fascinating pics. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
this REALLY made me start to reconsider the extra weight on a bugout. i expected rifle rounds to penitrate just not as much

10 Meters is pretty close; in a SHTF situation they should be flat on their back long before that. I wonder what would happen at 50-100 meters?

Jerad
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#9]
i had to dx mine, i dropped the bastard and it cracked.

it probably doesnt help that most of the ones floating around are 10+ years old, they do deteriorate.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#10]
This thread should be re-titled "Kevlar-O-Truth"
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#12]
There are many variable to account for in the performance of the helmets. Damage, age, velocity-weight-size of round, and manufacturing specs just to name a few. Please keep in mind that the standard one should be equivalent to 2A in performance. Some of the helmets that hit DRMO a few years back did not meet specs. Also some commercial helmets look the same but can be had at a higher performance level and weight. Test was informal just to see what this one would do. I'm thinking of testing an interceptor this summer to see how well it holds up. I'll post that one when it happens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top