Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2001 5:08:40 PM EDT

What should I do?

I need the collective advice of the forum.  I went to a gun shop today.  The shop specializes in old military weapons.  I was looking for a M1903A3.  He had a few that ranged from $357.00 to $660.00.  Three were made by Remington.  The one for $375.00 had a receiver marked “Santa Fe”.  The gun looked real nice, and I put $20.00 down.  When I got home I looked up Santa Fe 1903A3 in Yahoo and I got this:

>[1. In the case of a Springfield, be sure it IS a Springfield. Genuine Springfield’s were made by Springfield, Rock Island, Remington, and Smith Corona, and are all so-marked. Avoid "Santa Fe" and other copies -- these were made up from parts with substandard receivers.]<

The dealer told me the Santa Fe receiver was a re-stamped Springfield.  He showed me markings on the barrel and bolt and assured me it was “all original” I don’t mind loosing the $20.00 versus $375.00. Here is my dilemma:

Should I skip on the Santa Fe and buy a more expensive Remington 1903A3 from this guy?  My concern is this guy must know the Santa Fe reputation, and is screwing people.  If he is less than truthful about the Santa Fe, can I trust the other rifles quality?.  Or should I just walk away and take the $20.00 loss.

Please advise.

QCMGR
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

What should I do?

I need the collective advice of the forum.  I went to a gun shop today.  The shop specializes in old military weapons.  I was looking for a M1903A3.  He had a few that ranged from $357.00 to $660.00.  Three were made by Remington.  The one for $375.00 had a receiver marked “Santa Fe”.  The gun looked real nice, and I put $20.00 down.  When I got home I looked up Santa Fe 1903A3 in Yahoo and I got this:

>[1. In the case of a Springfield, be sure it IS a Springfield. Genuine Springfield’s were made by Springfield, Rock Island, Remington, and Smith Corona, and are all so-marked. Avoid "Santa Fe" and other copies -- these were made up from parts with substandard receivers.]<

The dealer told me the Santa Fe receiver was a re-stamped Springfield.  He showed me markings on the barrel and bolt and assured me it was “all original” I don’t mind loosing the $20.00 versus $375.00. Here is my dilemma:

Should I skip on the Santa Fe and buy a more expensive Remington 1903A3 from this guy?  My concern is this guy must know the Santa Fe reputation, and is screwing people.  If he is less than truthful about the Santa Fe, can I trust the other rifles quality?.  Or should I just walk away and take the $20.00 loss.

Please advise.

QCMGR
View Quote

Skip the Santa Fe.The info you looked up was correct. The daeler is either mis-informed or crooked.
Scott
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not all original; it's been modified. The shop owner is dissembling (a nice term for spin control, or.. lying) about it. Santa Fe chop job Enfields are also marketed as Jungle Carbines. OK shooting guns, but they still aren't the real thing. Real A3s in EXC. shape go for a lot more than $375.

Lose the twenty bucks, but save yourself a lot more. Always go for quality with guns and in dealers, and you will never be sorry.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I myself own a Remington 1903a3 and suggest if you are thinking about this rifle as part of a historic collection..pass on the Santa Fe.  If your going to make this a shooter..go ahead and do it. If the answer is, yes both, pass on the Santa Fe.  (These old rifles shoot well for the age and circumstance.. Have fun in what ever you decide)
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#5]
It depends on what you want to do with the gun. For a very occasional shooter, I would go with the Sante Fe.
If you want the collectible ones, or as a favorite rifle, go with the more expensive, recognizable ones.

Personally, I think Springfields are overpriced compared to their historical counterparts.

Question, is this because our Lend-Lease is not allowed back into the country our our freedom loving 2nd ammendment country de-mil's them?
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Give up $20.00 for what? You engaged the dealer in a forthright manner. The dealer was not forthright. Get your money back!!! If you want
an 03 and he has a good one then purchase it.
Nobody gets something for nothing.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:37:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Give up $20.00 for what? You engaged the dealer in a forthright manner. The dealer was not forthright. Get your money back!!! If you want
an 03 and he has a good one then purchase it.
Nobody gets something for nothing.
View Quote

Thank you and the forum for the advice.  You are right; you get what you pay for.  I think I will opt for a Remington.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:49:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I would ask for and expect my money back. Just about any information you need on 03's or any other old military rifle can be found at www.milsurpshooter.com check it out, its very helpful.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Shoot the hostage.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Santa Fe rifles blow, a friend foolishly bought into one of those and it doesn't feed properly.  Now of course he can't get rid of it because it blows.  He did, however, pay only $175 for it.  $375 is toward the price you'd pay for the real deal.  Get your $20 back and if the dealer gives you any static GTF out and don't ever come back.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 10:47:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I went back and bought a Remington 03A3.  No problems and the dealer was very supportive.  Thanks for the assistance.  I will let you know how it shoots.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 10:53:00 AM EDT
[#14]
In that case, tell us the name of the dealer so we can support him.  Too often we (rightfully) word-of-mouth a crook to death, but we don't publicise the good ones.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#15]
All,

I appreciate the advice I received from the forum. I went to the range today and I had shot a bull’s eye twice. I fired a 1.5 MOA 3 round group and a 3 MOA 5 round group. This was on a 100-yard range. I am impressed! The rifle has a 2-groove barrel and is in descent shape.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top