Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2001 4:26:01 PM EDT
Just got back from an afternoon shoot.  i went mostly to break in a Taurus Millenium (PT111 9mm) that i [i]thought[/i] I was gonna use as a carry pistol in the summer months.  Normally I carry a SIG 228.

here's the deal... are all DAO's this bad!?  

This is my first "Glock" type pistol, having always been a SA/DA fan.  To be fair this is my first attempt at really shootin this type of gun.  I worked pretty hard at it for a while not to 'throw' my first shot on the SIGs and can say my DA pulls are really good at hittin' where they  pointed.

This DAO thing is just the worst.  I really had to think about placement, even at 25ft every time.  The long trigger pull and its building resistance (lbs) just makes it worse.

Are all DAOs (GLOCK, P99s etc) like this?  Or do I just need to 'get used to it' (not something i am fond of for a carry unit.)?

Anyhow, I put 70 rds through it and was just not happy.  So much so I skipped the twenty HydraShoks I was gonna shoot to test feed/reliability as that is what a I load for carry.

Ever bought a gun you just hate?
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 4:42:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#2]
TBS, ever try the 21? I've had the hankerin' for a 21 as of late, but now I'm leaning towards the 30.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Mastery of the Glocks trigger is the single most essential thing a Glock Action shooter must do.
This is amplified 10 fold if the shooter has cut his teeth on SA/DA's or SA's.

It was hard for me at first, but I mastered it, and can now hit with my G20 anything I can with any of my other handguns.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I also bought a Millenium for carry, a PT140. I fired about 10 rounds through it and decided I didn't like it. The trigger pull was too long, hard and gritty and I had a few light primer strikes. I traded it for a Kahr P9 which has a nice smooth and light trigger pull.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:27:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Are all DAOs (GLOCK, P99s etc) like this?  Or do I just need to 'get used to it' (not something i am fond of for a carry unit.)?
View Quote

IMHO Glocks are a lot easier to shoot then a DAO automatic.  While Glocks have been dubbed a DAO automatic, the trigger feel feels more along the line of a Single Action gun, while maintaining the safety of a DAO gun. [pistol]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#7]
DAO pistols absolutely suck if you are trying to plink or target shoot them. I have gotten rid of every one I have ever owned for this reason, including KelTec 9s, Colt Pony's and Pocket 9's. The only one I own now is a KelTec 32 because it is so damn light and flat. I still have a heck of a time hitting anything with it while plinking to break it in and get used to it. Think of a DOA as strictly a short range defense gun. A Glock is not a DOA and has a much more acceptable trigger pull if the goal is to hit a target at 25 yards..

Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#8]
[b]ITS THE OPERATOR PEOPLE!!!!

NOT THE GUN!!!![/b]

I just shot a pistol match with my HS2000--
Against HK's, Sigs, Glocks, 1911's,...even a Ruger....

Of all the guns there, on the bullseye phase at 20 yards, aiming at a 2" Circle on a 4" paper, my Glock Action pistol was the only one to keep all the rounds on paper.
Better then the HK's
Better then the SIGs
Better then the 1911--
Not because of the "gun"....Because I was familliar with it, and am a good shot.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#9]
The Glock is not really DAO. The striker firing is not a SA either, but in functionality it's like a SA with a long heavy trigger. The only DAO I was ever able to any good with was a BER.  92 that was borrowed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top