Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2001 1:51:09 PM EDT
What's the best way to draw the heat out of a sunburn?
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Aloe lotion works great.  I highly recommend it.  Keeps your skin moist so you minmize peeling.  Oatmeal bath also helps, but when you dry off out (regardless) blot dry instead of rubbing.  Rubbing aggrivates sunburn.

Best prevention - use sunblock (SPF 30).

-SARguy
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:33:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Ouch [pyro]

Lukewarm showers do wonders -

take some aspirin
( as long as you're not allergic)it thins the
blood and deadens the pain receptors.

Finally - a topical skin cream to rehydrate
the cells and prevent peeling / loss of
the second layer of skin ( any otc skin care
product - like Nivea - etc )

Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:39:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Solarcaine topical anesthetic spray.
[img]http://store2.yimg.com/I/safetycentral_1630_34646718[/img]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#4]
ya wanna get rid of the heat from a sun burn?

Try a bottle witch hazel (extract). its an old remedy that actualy works.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Radioman seconds the Solarcane.
Radioman speaks in the third person.

The Radioman
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Go to a health food store and get some pure aloe gel in the brown glass bottle, or even better find an aloe plant, break off a leaf and squeeze out the gel.  Don't bother with wal-mart aloe lotion or anything like that, you want the real thing and don't want a bunch of perfumes or coloring or anything like that that dilutes the gel.  last time I got a sun burn I couldn't find the good stuff so I bought some at wal-mart and it had this green coloring in it.  I had to wash off every few applications because the coloring and shit would build up on my skin and was keeping the fresh coats from getting to the burn.  Apply it heavily to the burnt area, then reapply it whenever the area starts to feel hot again.  Just keep piling it on until you don't feel the heat any more.

I've tried the witch hazel thing too.  It doesn't work as well as aloe but it is a bit easier to find.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I wipe plain ol' vinegar on the burn. It takes the sting out with one or two applications. The heat is still there for a while yet, but the sting is gone.

Use good lotion to reduce peeling.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#9]
What works best for me is a STRONG concentration of tea.  Just buy the cheapest tea your supermarket sells.  Use about 10 packs for a sm/med bowl of water.  Let it get cold in the refrigerator after boiling. Place OLD rags in the pot and then place on sunburnt areas.  After four or five minutes you will need to wet the rags again and replace.  Works great.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#11]

I agree with another member on vinegar. Instant pain relief, it must be the acetic acid in vinegar. Its an old time remedy that really works great.

Bushman556
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Vinegar is the ticket, with a follow up of Noxema, and don't wipe the Noxema off just let it soak in.  When we were kids Mom used to do this to us and I still do it today.  You will stink for a while, but it is well worth it to be able to sleep.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:39:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I follow JonnieGTyler and Bushman556,

Vinegar works wonders!

Take a cloth soak it and lay it on the sunburn. Sure you smell like a salad for awhile, but the pain is taken away.

Just remember to re-soak the cloth an re-apply.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Chigger rememdy - fill the bathtub with water as hot as you can possibly stand it and add about 1/2 bottle of bleach (1 quart bottle.)  Get in and put the entire affected area(s) under water. Cap off your peter with your thumb if you have to, because you don't want any of that water getting down inside there! The hot water apparently makes them come to the surface of the skin, and the bleach kills them.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#15]
new studies show that applying olive oil to a fresh sunburn can help to minimize the chances of skin cancer
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 11:05:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Be a man...

TAKE THE PAIN!
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 11:12:58 PM EDT
[#17]
If NH2112's remedy for chiggers works, then Michael Jackson should never have a problem with them!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 11:16:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Aloe gel works well & is available in the bulk size packages I seem to require from time to time.  Lubriderm lotion helps the skin stay flexible but may sting a bit.  Solarcaine spray with aloe is nicest but is much pricier.  Bottom of my list is calamine lotion - it might work, but you leave a chalky trail showing where you have gone.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Make some really strong tea.  Let it cool to room temp or colder.  Soak some wash clothes in the tea and lay them out on the burned areas for 10 or 15 minutes.  Resoak the cloths and repeat a few times.  The tannic acid in the tea will soothe the burned skin.  It works!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top