Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2001 12:26:32 PM EDT
I drove down to Piru (ISI) sat. but i got there to late, wanted to see how the sport works because i'm very interested. I have some Q? to those who compete, 1 how many rounds do you shoot for one match? 2 is your first match you shoot considered your qual. or do they have a seperate day for that? 3 what should I expect my first time out? 4 has anyone taken the self-defense classes they have there at ISI, and do you recommend them?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Our local matches use between 60 and 90 rounds.  Shooting indoors during the nasty Utah winters keeps the number of stages down so sometimes the matches are quite short.  I usually bring along 200 rounds just in case.  The "classifier match" is a standard set of stages with set scores to earn your classification (marksman, expert, etc).  Our club runs it a couple of times per year.  Normal matches do not give you a classification.  Have fun.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#2]
1 Depends on how many courses of fire that club has that day, but no one course may be over 18 rounds.  So take 200+ rounds along.  You may miss once in a while.

2  Only certain matches are qualifiers, and you need to join IDPA to get a formal classification.

3  To have a hell of a good time, and to learn a lot about yourself.  Maybe more than you wanted to know.  Go to the wegsite and read up, that'll answer most of your questions.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:52:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I just shot my first match last weekend so maybeI can help. Each match has a specific number of rounds to shoot that may vary from match to match. The one I just shot had five stages with a total of 70 rounds. My 16 year old son also shot and it was the first time he had ever competed. The range people and other competators are all very friendly and patient and will help you out.

In order to be classified you have to shoot a qualifier course and you must be a IDPA member. This is a separate course of fire. Most clubs will allow you to shoot one match without being a member, thus you don't have to be qualified. Go to www.idpa.com for all the info about the rules and qualification course.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 1:57:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all. Has anyone taken self defense classes at ISI in piru?
BALOO.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:50:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't taken any classes at ISI but I am an IDPA member at Piru. I wouldn't hesitate to take classes at ISI. Mike Dalton, who runs ISI and the IDPA matches, is a great guy. He's also well respected as a trainer. I'd suggest going to the IDPA match and shoot it, while you are there speak to Mike directly about his courses, he's very friendly.

I'd suggest you get there before 8am or about 1pm if you want to miss the crowd. Sometime past 2pm may be too late.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top