Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2005 11:58:33 AM EDT
i have a 36" wide safe that i am thinking about buying 2 x 450 gram packs and was wondering if the two would be adequet for this size safe. im not in a very humid climate and would rather go with these than a golden rod. please reccomend somthing better if there is......
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Use both to be safe, Goldenrod & SIlica gel.
Better safe than sorry!
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty dry in Colorado, but as a joke I take all the silica packs from when I buy shoes and put them in my safes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I use goldenrod and silica gel.
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 12:11:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I use that big white box thingy found in gun stores.... Whats it called?
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 12:11:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I usually throw 'em in my ammo cans...
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#6]
someone from another forum reccomended i use silica kitty litter additive, its the same stuff and its way cheap. you can get a 5# bucket for around $10. im going down to the local pet superstore tomorrow.......
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Only in the ammo cans.
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#8]
That's what I use in my safe and they work great.

Be sure to bake them one a year.
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
someone from another forum reccomended i use silica kitty litter additive, its the same stuff and its way cheap. you can get a 5# bucket for around $10. im going down to the local pet superstore tomorrow.......

Throw a couple handfuls in an old sock, knot the end, and put it in your safe. For large safes, use several socks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#10]
don't let silca touch your guns....it WILL cause burns in ss or steel blue
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I use 2 Goldenrods in my safe
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Nah, I just snack on em.
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 11:50:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/26/2005 12:17:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Sillica attracts and keeps moisture. If your end goal is to keep moisture in your safe them Sillica packs work fine.  Vent the safe oil the guns and let the heating rod cause air circulation.

Good point, actually, when the humidity gets very low, the silica will actually release moisture. Sounds like a good reason to go with the very cheap kitty litter additive and just toss them on a regular schedule.

NOVA did a special last week on the building of the new storage case for the Declaration of Independence. They talked quite a bit about silica and the scientists had a huge argument about it, in the end they decided not to use it because the case would be sealed anyway, once they removed the moisture, none would ever get back in. But they did say that it releases moisture as well as sucks it up depending on the surrounding humidity, so it is ideal if you are trying to sustain a stable environment.

From the website: Given the stakes and the range of disciplines represented on the panel - from archivists to conservators to scientists and engineers - there is a healthy debate about what course to take. Will specially milled titanium and aluminum frames hold a vacuum? Should the humidity inside the frames be controlled with silica gel, which has proven trouble free in similar applications? How far should conservators go in repairing physical damage to the charters?

Link Posted: 2/26/2005 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I went to the local hobby shop (Michaels btw) and picked up some silica gell intended for drying flowers. 5lbs for maybe $10 or so...put it into 3 rubbermaid containers and keep 2 in my safe at all times. I rotate them on a regular basis and they seem to do a great job of moisture control. I'd suggest recharging silica gel on a monthly basis or more frequently unless you have a well sealed safe (BTW I added some weather stripping to mine and really cut done on moisture intrusion). This stuff doesn't go bad or wear out. I just run mine in a microwave for a few minutes and it's ready to go again.
Link Posted: 2/26/2005 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#16]
how do you know when it needs recharging? does it change color?
Link Posted: 2/26/2005 10:58:36 AM EDT
[#17]
these have a moisture indicator on them

ZONEDRY
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I was looking at using silica gel for use in a safe or other enclosed area for firearms storage, and came across this thread.  I saw in my Midway catalog that they sell silica in a paint can with a fancy label.  So I figured I could do the same thing, and not have to store silica in an old sock or other similar container.

I went to a local Home Depot, and bought two new quart-sized metal paint cans, which were like $1.50 each.  They sell other sizes as well depending on your needs.   The cans are also lined for use to store paint or whatever else, so a little moisture won't hurt.  

After that I went to a local A.C. Moore craft supply place to check out the prices on silica gel.  All they had was a small quart-sized container for about $10.00.  I didn't bother to go to a local Michael's (another craft store) to check out their prices.  Instead I went to a local PETsMART and bought the Tidy Cat crystals (cat litter), which was $14.00 for 8 pounds.  When I got home I thought maybe the blue crystals would change color when wet, but they don't.  If you put water on them they just suck it up!  

I wanted to get the crystals that change color (and there is plently of places that sell them online) but it wasn't really needed.  I can use the paint cans filled with silica, and either bake the silica or throw it away after exteneded use.

If I bought silica cat litter again, I would just buy whatever is cheapest without and added deodorizers.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like a good reason for me to go buy LOTS of new shoes!!!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#20]
How do you know if these dry rods/silica/tidy cat stuff is workin?

What is the temperature in your safe? What is the humidity in your safe? What should it be?

just wondering if anyone ever thought about this from a more measurable and scientific angle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top