Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2001 10:14:51 AM EDT
Just curious about cool places to eat/drink or have fun.  We normally vacation in Destin Fl area, but have heard good things about Gulf Shores, so we thought we would try it this year.  Plus it is about 2 hrs closer.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#1]
For "must have" seafood, go to King Neptune's.  It's a hole in the wall and you'll wait for a table, but well worth it!
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I vacationed there last year.  Hit the Florabama on friday night for the odd band that plays the funny songs.  Also I recommend "Triggers" for food.  I hear King Neptune is good but I didn't get a chance to go.  Have a great time, I did!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a place on the main drag going south through Foley.  I don't recall the name, but its "home of the thrown rolls".  Its extremely popular, so show up for dinner around 4 PM.

I'll look at my favorite coffee mug tonight and give you the name tomorrow.

Merlin
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:14:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There's a place on the main drag going south through Foley.  I don't recall the name, but its "home of the thrown rolls".  Its extremely popular, so show up for dinner around 4 PM.

I'll look at my favorite coffee mug tonight and give you the name tomorrow.

Merlin
View Quote

Lamberts?  There's one in Missouri named Lambert's that says "Home of the Thrown Rolls"
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Merlin the restaurant that is the home of the thrown rolls is called Lamberts. It is excellent! My wife and I make down to Gulf Shores about once a year. You need to go to the Original Oyster House, best seafood in town. They have won many contests with their gumbo also. I am jealous, we haven't been down yet this year! We try to drive over to New Orleans when we go down just to eat at one of Emeril's places in the French Quarter. Good luck and try to stay cool, it will be HOT down there.

Brian
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#6]
The Lambert's in foley is the same restraunt as the one in MO. The Oyster House is good, and you have to go to the Florabama on the Florida/Alabama state line.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 1:42:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey guy, my wife has family in Orange Beach (at Gulf Shores), and we go down once a year. It's really a nice area, and the people are really friendly. The FloraBama is a hoot, and ask the locals about "The Point", great food. If you go down, be sure and stop in at "Smith Outdoors" (my wifes cousins) really neat hunting and fishing store, and they're super folks (even if they weren't family. Tell em their Texas cousins sent you. They have a great gun shop in the store and a sharp Ex-Marine gunsmith on duty. You will also have to run over to Pensacola to the Naval Air Museum one day, it's amazing, and then go over to "Maguires Irish Pub and Brewery" for dinner. You'll have a blast.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Goes -
Original Oyster House downtown; The Back Porch (Orange Beach/Wolf Bay); Calypso Grill (my favorite) Orange Beach Marina and also Mango's (upstairs/fine dining); Mikee's; Live Bait; The Point
No goes -
B.J.'s; Hazel's; Kirk Kirklands Hitchin'Post; The Shrimp Boat; Bubba's; Cotton's
The funky -
FloraBama; Pink Pony Pub
To do besides beach -
Fort Morgan also the ferry across to Dauphin Island and Fort Gaines; Pensacola NAS (great museum and IMAX); Fort Pickens; USS Alabama; hike the nature trail at Bon Secour National Wildlife (look out for nude sunbathers in the dunes in the beach section); get a tattoo at Precison Ink in the T-shirt factory
For the women -
Riveria outlet mall in Foley, 10 miles north of Gulf Shores on H'way 59
email me for add'l info
[X] [X]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#10]
It ain't changed, if anything it's worse now.  Better have a "5" tag (prefix for Baldwin County, where Gulf Shores and Orange Beach are located) and be known to the locals. Very heavy traffic enforcment right now on a Monday night in Orange Beach, especialy around the entrance to Ono Island and near state line.
[X] [X]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By The Beer Slayer:
yup. i pulled a very short stint as a paramedic for orange beach when they first incorporated. The police dept was so corrupt from the start it wasn't even funny. I quite after about 3 weeks. I was afraid of getting indicted if i stuck around. I heard the police chief that was there when i was on later got arrested by the ABI.
View Quote

When were you with OBFD?  I interviewed with OBPD right after incorp.  Was with Mobile Police Dept at the time and living on Eastern Shore.  Believe you are right about the chief and ABI.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#15]
You know that OBPD arrested Kenny Stabler "The Snake" for DUI and posssion of a prescription medication without a perscription last month?  As much money and old NFL crowd as he draws to OB, who did he piss off?
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Goes -
Original Oyster House downtown; The Back Porch (Orange Beach/Wolf Bay); Calypso Grill (my favorite) Orange Beach Marina and also Mango's (upstairs/fine dining); Mikee's; Live Bait; The Point
No goes -
B.J.'s; Hazel's; Kirk Kirklands Hitchin'Post; The Shrimp Boat; Bubba's; Cotton's
The funky -
FloraBama; Pink Pony Pub
To do besides beach -
Fort Morgan also the ferry across to Dauphin Island and Fort Gaines; Pensacola NAS (great museum and IMAX); Fort Pickens; USS Alabama; hike the nature trail at Bon Secour National Wildlife (look out for nude sunbathers in the dunes in the beach section); get a tattoo at Precison Ink in the T-shirt factory
For the women -
Riveria outlet mall in Foley, 10 miles north of Gulf Shores on H'way 59
email me for add'l info
[X] [X]
View Quote

Yellow Lab -
I forgot to mention, if you get tired of the tourist scene and high season prices and want some really good southern fried seafood, with man size portions, take a trip up to Wolf Bay Lodge, maybe on a Tuesday or Thursday night when the locals (heavy Germantic background) get into beer and polka music.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Lambert's is "Home of the Throwed Rolls".  Remember, this eatin' joint started over by the boot heel of the Sho-me state, we don't got a lot u' edukashun round thees parts.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:19:20 PM EDT
[#18]
...oh yeah..don't forget the Waffle House across from the Florabama!
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I use to vacation in Destin/Ft. Walton and then tried Gulf Shores (it's less of a drive for me) The only difference is one beach is in Florida and one is in Alabama. I've heard that the sugar white sand beaches in this area are the most beautiful in the world.

Lambert's "home of the throwed rolls is a must. It's over towards Foley. They bring buckets of food to your table.

You must make the drive to Pensacola and eat at McGuires Irish Pub (follow the directions on those green double decker Buses). It'll become your all-time favorite eating place. You can sign your name on a dollar bill (your own of course) and staple it to the ceiling. They have over a quarter of a million dollars hanging from the ceiling. They also brew their own beer. I think a bowl of bean soup is still 18 cents. Be careful going to the bathroom though...the men's room and ladie's room have the signs switched on them...Irish humor.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 3:00:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
...oh yeah..don't forget the Waffle House across from the Florabama!
View Quote

Be careful staggering...uh...walking across the road.
[X] [X]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 9:55:37 AM EDT
[#21]
The Dauphin Island cops are also nototious for their gestapo skills, and never hestitated in  busting into rented party houses without a warrant. They mostly hunt for local kids though.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Take the short ride to P'cola, see the National Museum of Naval Avation. The Iwo Jima is tied up at NAS P'Cola, gonna be comissioned this Saturday. Then on South Palafox, go to Trader Jon's. It is a bar/museum to Naval Avation. Trader died a couple of years ago, but an ex-NavAv. and his wife bought it and it is now open. McGuires is excellent, good sunday brunch also.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 7:02:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Hey guys, thanks for all of the good ideas.  I definately will check out the Aviation Museum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top